What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily Telegraph: Why I won't sack Smith

Hurriflatch

Referee
League

Why I won't sack Smith

By DEAN RITCHIE Rugby League Writer

April 1, 2005

PARRAMATTA chief executive Denis Fitzgerald last night stepped forward to guarantee Brian Smith would coach the Eels until the end of 2006 - ending damaging talk about the coach's future.

Fitzgerald's assurances came despite statistics showing Smith has won just 31 of 76 games since the start of 2002, the year after Parramatta contested the grand final.

It is a win ratio of only 40 per cent -- well behind that of Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes (73 per cent), the Sydney Roosters' Ricky Stuart (72 per cent) and Brisbane's Wayne Bennett (59 per cent).

But fed up with constant sniping at Smith and talk about his coaching future, Fitzgerald said the man he lured to Parramatta in 1997 would not be sacked this year and would again lead the club in 2006.

The Eels have had a poor start to the season, winning one of three games, and face Penrith in the battle of the west tonight at Parramatta Stadium.

"There is absolutely no question that Brian will stay in the role [as coach]," Fitzgerald told The Daily Telegraph.

"Brian has a contract with us until the end of 2006 and he has every intention of fulfilling it," Fitzgerald said. "From a club's point of view, we want him to fulfil it as well.

"There has been criticism but that doesn't concern us.

"There is criticism about every coach when teams don't win.

"There was criticism of Wayne Bennett when Brisbane were not going too well.

"It comes and goes. Clubs must stick together in tough times. Brian is here and will be here again next year. The board has every confidence in Brian."

Parramatta have taken time to ease more than $1million worth of new recruits into the team.

Smith did not want to comment last night but Parramatta skipper Nathan Cayless defended his coach and hit out at the critics.

"Over the last couple of years there has been plenty of flak about our performances and the coach," Cayless said.

"But it just comes with the territory. Parramatta are expected to win and be successful.

"We got over all this I thought last year. We don't take any notice of it.

"The only way to get people off our backs is to start winning matches.

"We are working hard to do that.

"The fans need to be patient. We are looking to improve every week. It is a long season."

Parramatta fullback Wade McKinnon was last night ruled out of the match with a hamstring injury.

In a reshuffle, Luke Burt will shift to fullback with Matt Petersen coming on to the wing. Smith will name his new bench player today.

The Panthers expect to be intact for tonight's game.

Penrith go in to the local derby as $1.53 favourites with Parramatta paying $2.35 on TAB Sportsbet.

Source:http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1264&storyid=2895520

The Godfather

Juniors
A cheif executive comes out and publically says that the coach is safe, the coach has the full support of the board, etc, etc,etc...

The coach had better know where his nearest Centrelink is.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Godfather said:
A cheif executive comes out and publically says that the coach is safe, the coach has the full support of the board, etc, etc,etc...

so when was the last time we sacked a coach??...ok I'll help you, 1980.

I'll tell you know unlike alot of other CEO's the bloke in charge of us doesn't lie and if he says he'll be there till 2006 that's what's going to happen.

Skinner

Coach
If this was the Warriors, Smith would be gone two weeks after a statement
such as that from Fitzy.

Skinner

Stagger eel

Staff member
Skinner said:
If this was the Warriors, Smith would be gone two weeks after a statement
such as that from Fitzy.

Skinner

or any other club with acception of the Broncos.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
we've long suspected that he wont go while Dennis the menace is at the helm.

fish eel

Immortal
The tele are really gonna go for smith this year if we dont perform.

After three rounds, this is such a non story. even if we got best against the tigers, I doubt that after THREE games, the question of getting rid of the coach would ever have been raised. No coach deserves to go after three games. I reckon the tele are firing a warning shot across parra's bows. Perform or we'll go after ya!

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
If it was any other club I'd say Smith was goneskies....... it won't happen.

:BDH:

it sure is like beating a dead horse Colonel and i appreciated your little pic, good work mate :)

but seriously it does make you wonder whether Denis and Brian are more than just good friends ;-) :? :shock: :lol: ;-)

The Godfather

Juniors
eelavation said:

I'll tell you know unlike alot of other CEO's the bloke in charge of us doesn't lie and if he says he'll be there till 2006 that's what's going to happen.

Sacked, pushed, encouraged to leave, contract not renewed, mutual agreement...it's all the same thing.

If that is the case, then let's write off 2006 now.
Roll on 2007.

Caged Panther

First Grade
is it just me or despite the title of the article does this story actually give no reason as to why he won't sack him.

TheParraboy

Staff member
eelavation said:
The Godfather said:

John Peard was coach in 1980, I dont think he was sacked. He just didnt get a 5 year extension :D

TheParraboy

Staff member
Caged Panther said:
is it just me or despite the title of the article does this story actually give no reason as to why he won't sack him.

yup, I read it that way too.

I remember reading last year Brian Smith offering to resign. But Fitzy said No, that Parra will honour contracts. But when players ask for a mutual release from their contract, it happens (as we have seen) quite often, then its oki doki :?

fish eel said:
The tele are really gonna go for smith this year if we dont perform.

After three rounds, this is such a non story. even if we got best against the tigers, I doubt that after THREE games, the question of getting rid of the coach would ever have been raised. No coach deserves to go after three games. I reckon the tele are firing a warning shot across parra's bows. Perform or we'll go after ya!
yet at the same time the dragons are 3-0 this year and nothing gets said about nathan brown the telegraph's anti-smith bias is getting pretty obvious