What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dally M Night - Your thoughts

firechild

First Grade
To be fair you would think given the winning record that a few more individual awards would be forthcoming. But we mostly all know it's a media popularity contest.

I don't understand the angst over Ivan not winning it, he got it 2014 as a "most improved" so our fans should get that in cases like last year. As for this year they got it right, if they went the most improved route then Ciraldo gets it. It's a bit weird that anyone is arguing Ivan based on the last 5 years, It's coach of the YEAR. As in current year.

Hughes was a worthy winner, so no argument there.

Putting my PENRITH! cap back on, it does grate a bit that Luai wasn't seen anywhere in the top 10 given the year he had, especially with Nathan out. Happy for Dearden and he was great, but the media hate Luai, so he will never poll well.

Also I've noticed that the last few years Yeo and Edwards poll well when voting is public so there at least a shred of accountability, then when it goes dark they slip behind. I don't think it's anything conscious from the judges, but Yeo's lack of votes towards the end stuck out to me. He is close to best on ground most weeks win or lose. Edwards injury explains away this year, but it was apparent the last 2 years as well, so worth a mention.

The positional awards were all fine imo, the fact JFH and Leota were both nominated kind of kills off any anti Penrith agenda though. Leota has been mostly invisible and Fish has been a bit patchy. Makes you wonder if the judges all just go around to Ruan's place for a BBQ instead of watching games.
TBH, it has happened to all the best teams. Because they're flush with top shelf players, they tend to share the points. It takes a pretty special player in a good team to outshine his teammates week after week. Luai would have lost points to Cleary when he was there as well as To'o, Edwards, Yeo, etc. I really wouldn't be surprised if the majority of Dally M winners come from the teams around 3-6 (I'm sure someone will pull up the results) given that they are less likely to have stars across the board but still win enough for the top player to be polling plenty of 2s and 3s.

firechild

First Grade
He's just misunderstood.

Why fans haven't jumped on board after his Hooper takedown baffles me. Hooper is a bigger wanker than Luai could ever be.
Nah, the only difference between them is Hooper is in the media and Luai is a player which gives the illusion of Hooper being a bigger wanker, otherwise they're pretty level as far as being a wanker.

Apey

Staff member
It's an advantage not to play Origin too, depending on byes, which goes against Yeo, Luai, etc.

And yeah the Penrith players are always going to take points off each other, unless there is a real genuine stand-out performance like Hughes for Melbourne, it's always going to be the case with good teams.

On the flipside, although rating out of 10 would be fairer (not that they would ever do it), the opposite is then going to happen. The winner will always be a player from one of the best teams, because they're going to look better each week in a great team compared to a great player from an average team.

I don't think anyone takes it too seriously except when their player wins, then its very serious.

Latest posts