What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damien Cook

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Im leaning towards that if we can get Cook to come over this season due to a fair amount of $ we can spend in our cap and pay majority of next year salary.........you would think that given he will be 35yrs old in 2026 he could be on a fairly serviceable contract.

2024 taking him now may still help Souths move around $ this season

2025 helps both parties as we will still have plenty of cap space given our young guys on the list and not much talent to bring onboard.

2026 good value for us

Getting Cook this season would help us significantly around the ruck and in the 20m area for multiple playmakers working the defensive line. This would have to happen before June30 and a player leave our list early or be paid out which is very possible.

Last edited:

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
SMH yesterday Cook > If I was Cookie I would say the same either way as it leaves him in the drivers seat.

“They [Souths] have been everything. It’s where I’ve started a family, bought a house, all those big moments have been while I’ve been at this great club.
“I’ve made no decision whatsoever. It’s a bit new to me, all this [news]. I don’t want to leave. We’ll get through tomorrow’s game, I’ll speak to my manager next week and see where we are at.

“I’ve had conversations with Wayne. I’ve got a lot of respect for him. I’ve appreciated the phone calls we’ve had. He doesn’t give much away, Wayne. He’s a good listener.”

One thought, we are offering Cook a 2 year deal, but only willing to offer de Belin a one year deal. Jack is still in great form.

Just a thought 🤔
It’s a bit peculiar. I don’t see the method in the madness.
If we could sign the elite players then Cook and Jack would be a far more exciting proposition/ resigning.
The rumours of best thing since sliced bread have not resulted and here we are discussing like fans of a true bottom 8 team.

Love Flanno but I don’t want to hear “we just don’t have the cattle” for the next two years. Get some cattle!!!

since77

Juniors
Wiedler accosted Cook in the souths carpark, said he would sit down with his manager next week and discuss his future.. that he was contracted there for next year and if he wanted to play beyond he would have to go elsewhere.. words to that effect... said he had definitely not made a decision yet.. for whatever thats worth

I wish someone would accost Wiedler in a dark carpark........geez that guy is the very definition of grub, parasite, scumbag......

jak

Bench
It’s a bit peculiar. I don’t see the method in the madness.
If we could sign the elite players then Cook and Jack would be a far more exciting proposition/ resigning.
The rumours of best thing since sliced bread have not resulted and here we are discussing like fans of a true bottom 8 team.

Love Flanno but I don’t want to hear “we just don’t have the cattle” for the next two years. Get some cattle!!!
just were do we find the cattle ?

Mojo

Bench
Im leaning towards that if we can get Cook to come over this season due to a fair amount of $ we can spend in our cap and pay majority of next year salary.........you would think that given he will be 35yrs old in 2026 he could be on a fairly serviceable contract.

2024 taking him now may still help Souths move around $ this season

2025 helps both parties as we will still have plenty of cap space given our young guys on the list and not much talent to bring onboard.

2026 good value for us

Getting Cook this season would help us significantly around the ruck and in the 20m area for multiple playmakers working the defensive line.
👍

TheRev

First Grade
I was hoping from all the posts earlier this week.. that the deal was done.. but its just an offer.. and needs both his and souths approval given we r lowballing again.. so until its done, we r still a liddle injury or HIA away from Mulheissen or Brown as our starting 9.

I was hoping from all the posts earlier this week.. that the deal was done.. but its just an offer.. and needs both his and souths approval given we r lowballing again.. so until its done, we r still a liddle injury or HIA away from Mulheissen or Brown as our starting 9.
I think in real terms that this deal is only in the very early stages.
Firstly, it will need Bennett to give the okay to let him go early.
Then the real negotiations will start about the money.
Unfortunately @TheRev I think that this is the reality of getting this one done.

Illusion

Bench
The other things we have seen recently

1. Liddle does cop head knocks occasionally
2. Liddle is a much better player when he hits about 60min max. His output in the tigers game was fantastic, the extra load of 80 min is a bridge too far if you want to maximise his output. A quality 2nd hooker in the 17 would be ideal for the team.
Yep like Ben Hunt when needed to give Liddle a break ....... It would have the defence on notice ...... Jesse Marschke on the bench to fill in .......

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Saints get Cook they should go hard for Teddy and create a record next season as the oldest spine to ever play in the NRL with 33+ aged players in the 1,7 & 9.

In all seriousness, Cook will be a great role model for the youngsters. Cook may also excel under a different environment. When he is on he is pretty good and Saints need as much spark and speed around the ruck. Cook and Liddle will work well together.

Latest posts