What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dan the man but Eels cheer golden oldie

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25602085-2722,00.html
Dan the man but Eels cheer golden oldie

Brent Read | June 08, 2009
Article from: The Australian

A QUEUE was forming to speak to young five-eighth Daniel Mortimer in the Parramatta dressing rooms yesterday afternoon. Nathan Hindmarsh stood only metres away, a plastic container of salad in his hands and a look of self-satisfaction on his face.

Mortimer was named man of the match after guiding the Eels to a shock 20-18 win over Newcastle at EnergyAustralia Stadium, but it could have gone to Hindmarsh and no one would have complained. The former NSW and Australia forward has made a career out of being in the right place at the right time, and he did it again yesterday.

With 18 minutes remaining and the score locked at 12-12, Zeb Taia made a break and found Kurt Gidley in support. Hindmarsh had no right to be anywhere near Gidley.

But he was. With a try in the offing, Hindmarsh came from the clouds to drag down the flying Blues fullback. Try saved, match turned.

Nine minutes later Luke Burt took advantage of a contentious penalty to give the Eels a two-point lead and Mortimer made sure of the points with seven minutes remaining when he kicked, re-gathered and handed Fuifui Moimoi a saloon passage to the line.

It was no less than Parramatta deserved. In the commentary box, former NSW coach Phil Gould asked how a Blues side could be picked without Hindmarsh. Yet his last game was two years ago and he doesn't appear on the selectors' hit-list this year.

"I would pick him every time because I have seen what he can do and how committed he is," Newcastle coach Brian Smith said.

"That sort of unbelievable energy and discipline he can find. If you're looking for a good defender they don't come any better than him as far as I can tell.

"There's only one way you can get a reputation for doing that sort of stuff and that's by doing it over and over again. He's a champion in that department."

Hindmarsh has stopped worrying about his non-selection for NSW. He hasn't given up on representative football. He has just moved on.

Asked about the tackle on Gidley, Hindmarsh - one of the most uncomplicated players in the NRL - said simply: "I just tackled him."

As for a NSW recall, Hindmarsh is ambivalent.

"I'm just going to play hard footy," he said.

"I'm not expecting a call-up or anything like that. You never give up hope but I know it's going to be a long shot before I get back in there, if I do get back in there."

Parramatta coach Daniel Anderson isn't complaining. Every time the Blues snub Hindmarsh, it means he gets to spend more time with the Eels.

"He's a great club man and I don't mind if he doesn't get picked - selfishly - because he plays for us," Anderson said.

"He plays for 80 minutes. That attitude and commitment to the game will rub off on the young players in our club who are coming through."

The benefits were obvious yesterday. When Anderson talks about the impact of having Hindmarsh around, he need only point to Mortimer.

"He copped a few knocks today, had a few big hits put on him and he kept going," Hindmarsh said.

Anderson took his time blooding the teenager with the famous surname - his father and uncles remain legends at the Bulldogs - but his patience was rewarded in one movement, when the 19-year-old picked up a pass from around his toes, kicked for himself and sent Moimoi away.

"The last 10 minutes was the best feeling of my life so far," Mortimer said.

Newcastle 18 Parramatta 20

thedux

Juniors
Rabs hit it on the head when he responded to Gus' comment..."anyone who knows rugby league would agree with those sentiments!"
Unfortunately Daley, McCarthy and Fulton don't seem to know as much about league as the average punter these days!!!

eel4life

Juniors
There's only
one nathan hindmarsh ....
One nathan hindmarsh ....

Walking along
signing this song
walking in a hindmarsh wonderland

there's only

Parra R 4 Me

Juniors
There's only

Walking along
signing this song
walking in a hindmarsh wonderland

there's only

I might be a bias mother (and I have heard other say), but my 13 year old is another Hindmarsh in the making. He defence, tackles and even run's and chases like the greatest forward in the game "NATHAN HINDMARSH", so everyone watch out for him in 3-4 years.

strider

Post Whore
its funny cos I think that great grubber and chase from mortimer ONLY happened because robson threw him an utterly sh*t pass which forced him to change - when he had to reach and stumble his option was then only to grubber - he then turned that sh*t pass into a bit of brilliance ..... great signs for the kid

but I'm pretty sure even he knew he was fortunate to get MOTM ... did i hear it right when ch 9 were handing him the award he joked something like "do you want me to give this to Hindy?" ... good on him

Gronk

Staff member
its funny cos I think that great grubber and chase from mortimer ONLY happened because robson threw him an utterly sh*t pass which forced him to change - when he had to reach and stumble his option was then only to grubber - he then turned that sh*t pass into a bit of brilliance ..... great signs for the kid

but I'm pretty sure even he knew he was fortunate to get MOTM ... did i hear it right when ch 9 were handing him the award he joked something like "do you want me to give this to Hindy?" ... good on him

Looks like a good kid. Happy for him.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

:lol: I said the same thing watching the game to a mate, he had no other option because of the pass. But who cares :cool:

lewiscook

Juniors
:lol: I said the same thing watching the game to a mate, he had no other option because of the pass. But who cares :cool:

Yes he had no other option but he showed wonderful instincts.
Young Mortimer when he was given the sh*t pass realised there was no one behind the defence so he decided to grubber through.

Dan Morts and Kris Keating in our halves- i froth!
hahaha, there bloody wonderful young talents.

Hellsy

Immortal
Great kid this one. Hopefully we can shelter him from so much fame so young and he can grow with us.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm expecting an improvement in his game as he plays more games, infact by the end of the year he could well be a regular 6 or 7 at this club.

Fathead

Bench
Whoa.... easy there boy... I think we need to calm down a bit with all this Mort Love.
yeah the kid played a good game but all this public adulation is getting a little bit too much. As he said himself. the chip and chase wasnt planned, it was only because the pass was bad. If it was a good pass he wouldnt have tried it.
The next game he may and probably will stuff up and there will be people calling for his head.
We need to shelter him as much as we can from the hand shakers and those calling him the next coming.
He has done nothing special so far and I hope he DEVELOPS into a solid halfback.

slippery_sucker

Juniors
I'm expecting an improvement in his game as he plays more games, infact by the end of the year he could well be a regular 6 or 7 at this club.

I think he might be already staggers...

Puts K Keating in 6 (his best position) and Mateo in 13 (his best position)

Then its...

1. Hayne
6. Keating
7. Morts
9. Kinga
13.Mateo

14. Keating
:clap:=P~:badgrin::alcho:

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think he might be already staggers...

Puts K Keating in 6 (his best position) and Mateo in 13 (his best position)

Then its...

1. Hayne
6. Keating
7. Morts
9. Kinga
13.Mateo

14. Keating
:clap:=P~:badgrin::alcho:

i wouldn't get too excited yet...

Mortimer played well but so did Michael witt when he first started. I hope he is the real deal but I will wait to see more from him.

Albert Kelly is the one who will be special.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I'm sorry, but i dont think Hindmarsh will do much to our SOO side, and i agree with the selectors - our problems stem from the, hooker, halves and a couple of outside backs, i'd much rather Creagh and Gallen in our second row then Hindmarsh.

lucablight

First Grade
I'm sorry, but i dont think Hindmarsh will do much to our SOO side, and i agree with the selectors - our problems stem from the, hooker, halves and a couple of outside backs, i'd much rather Creagh and Gallen in our second row then Hindmarsh.

Robbie Farah is a problem?

.-) Daneel

Juniors
I like the fact that Mortimer played what was in front of him!! The sign of a good player and so often lacking these days!
He's got plenty of good and bad moments ahead of him, no doubt. Im just looking for him to keep learning and improving, not the next greatest thing yet.