What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dan Tolar

seedy

Juniors
Hey guys,this is my first post!!!
Just wanted to say how well Dan Tolar is going this year!!!
Today he played lock and tackled the house down,should have cemented a backrow spot in the side after today.
Abas need to move back intot he forwards 5/8 isn't his spot.Go Knights!!:)

Stranger

Coach
Welcome champ. Ill give you some lollies if you get in my car.

Ohh and btw, i think Tolar should have cemented a spot at prop for the lazy sh*t Perry.

RABK

Referee
It was your second post mate. :p

Tolar is an absolute gun and should be a starting forward no buts about it.

Jono078

Referee
He was awsome today, when we had noone to hit the ball up he was there, not to mention no errors!

But Matt White was equally as good I think.

K-Man

Bench
Yep Tolar's a legend. I just enjoy watching the guy play, he's a forward with a brain and some subtlety in his game.

Pika

Bench
Both White and Tolar are outshining our more seasoned forwards.

I thought Bederus was outstanding second game back.

K-Man

Bench
Pika said:
Both White and Tolar are outshining our more seasoned forwards.

I thought Bederus was outstanding second game back.

They sure are. Coincidentally, the 2 forwards most shunted by Hagan :crazy:

knightsyeah12

Juniors
Tolar and White were very good today, i think they have cemented their spot in FG for the season! very impressed

keeney

First Grade
In all due fairness to Hagan, White wasn't very good before this year. Tolar was excellent in the glimpses we got last year though.

Ben

Bench
Tolar was brilliant again but i think the team really needs to work on their support plays. Both Tolar and Woolnough broke the advantage line and were looking to offload the ball but there was no one there to take advantage.

Yosh

Coach
Yeah, but Kidley was supporting throughout the game as well... Seemed when someone was in support the forward couldnt get the offload off and when they could no one was supporting. Guess something we should and probably are working on as we speak.

perverse

Referee
Ben said:
Tolar was brilliant again but i think the team really needs to work on their support plays. Both Tolar and Woolnough broke the advantage line and were looking to offload the ball but there was no one there to take advantage.
abes also had 2 or 3 chances to put people into huge gaps with offloads.. but had no runners.

definately an area we need to improve on.. we would have put a lot more points on souths with this improvement alone.

Ben

Bench
I'm just guessing that this slight fault in our game is because Gidley hasn't played very much fullback and is still getting climatised with the position. Maybe this will just improve with time. But i have a concern with Smith using Gidley in the rover position. He has told Gidley that he can roam around the field and play whever he wants. This has meant that he has at times taken runs from dummy half and other times has slotted himself as a five-eighth in the backline. However, this has seemingly taken away from a fundamental element of being a fullback and that is support play.

perverse

Referee
Ben said:
I'm just guessing that this slight fault in our game is because Gidley hasn't played very much fullback and is still getting climatised with the position. Maybe this will just improve with time. But i have a concern with Smith using Gidley in the rover position. He has told Gidley that he can roam around the field and play whever he wants. This has meant that he has at times taken runs from dummy half and other times has slotted himself as a five-eighth in the backline. However, this has seemingly taken away from a fundamental element of being a fullback and that is support play.
good point and well observed. however it wouldn't kill a few of our other boys to support our ball runners though.. you see the top teams having 3 and 4 players backing up waiting for the next offload. gidley has been far too much of a revelation at fullback/rover to change what he's doing.. but i'm guessing smith will have a word to a few of the boys (gidley included) in regards to the support play. we looked prime for offloads against the bunnies.

Pika

Bench
To give some perspective on the importance of support play, Knights have a volunteer and his only job is to record support runs. Not just for line breaks, but for every hit up made.

Its a live stat, and the information is required at half time and relayed to the players in the shed.

One of many stats used at the club.

CJKnight

Juniors
Pika said:
To give some perspective on the importance of support play, Knights have a volunteer and his only job is to record support runs. Not just for line breaks, but for every hit up made.

Its a live stat, and the information is required at half time and relayed to the players in the shed.

Jeez, thats a good idea...

Can I guess Kidley is leading the tally?

Pika

Bench
He is, but the support runner is not just for line breaks.

For example, if a forward is carting the ball up one out at a defencive line, even with good feet, he is easily picked up. If, however, another forward is off his shoulder, though he will never receice the ball, he forces the defencive line to adjust by mere presence, creating more yards and a higher chance of line break for the ball carrier.

In this capacity, Dan Tolar is outstanding.

So a support player could be the fullback looking for the line break, the hooker getting to dummy half receiving a second phase offload or a forward simply creating another problem for the defence.

CJKnight

Juniors
Pika said:
He is, but the support runner is not just for line breaks.

For example, if a forward is carting the ball up one out at a defencive line, even with good feet, he is easily picked up. If, however, another forward is off his shoulder, though he will never receice the ball, he forces the defencive line to adjust by mere presence, creating more yards and a higher chance of line break for the ball carrier.

In this capacity, Dan Tolar is outstanding.

So a support player could be the fullback looking for the line break, the hooker getting to dummy half receiving a second phase offload or a forward simply creating another problem for the defence.

I see...

So essentially it is many bodies in motion to create more meters/line breaks/offloads for the ball carriers, as well as the fast men backing up.

perverse

Referee
Pika said:

it's nice to have a statistic.. but a lot of offload opportunities went begging against the bunnies. to me abes looked the most dangerous in this department.. but there are others that people have mentioned in this thread.

good to see the club is well aware of the importance of this though.. i've got no doubt we'll start to see some offloads turn to linebreaks in the near future if this is the case.. smith has done a great job in getting our forwards actually using the ball rather than just running it.