What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daniel Irvine

Nikki

Coach
Sad news indeed. Bubs has always been a good kid and handy footballer. Good luck to him.

we lost rigon, irvine & shane walker over the last couple of seasons, which means we have lost serious depth in the hooking role..

we dont really have any NRL capable & ready hookers to back up Luke, if he needs a rest.

of course, we could always move wing to hooker, when paea comes off the bench into the vacant 7.

but no natural hookers that wont force a change in positional roles.

I just hope Segeyaro develops into a handy player, hopefully we will be ready for 09, I dont expect him to be ready anytime next year to be honest.

Dave Q

Coach
He came to Souths, he played with all of his heart and thats all one can ask for.

I thank him for his efforts and I enjoyed watching him play.

I know I speak for many regarding the above.

He was part of the terrific and honourable 2007 squad. To a man they will be remembered for all time.

Irvine has his place in Souths history. For that, he can be grateful.

As a bonus, he will not be forgetten by the bears either.

So its double-treasure!

But the cold hard fact of the matter is that Souths is a business now.

We have no use for also-rans, the semi-good or O.K nor the terminally injured.

Every man who wears the red and green must be willing, fit and able do to unto us justice.

Whilst Irvine had a good season, there is not a soul on Souths LU who could honesty say that most of our retained players did not play as well as or better than Irvine.

Players like Williams, Buddy, Rogers, Cusak, Stuart, Merritt.

These guys came from stone motherless last in 2006 to finals glory in a single season.

I was harping on about it all season!

Sure its nice to have the eels fans here trying to make friends, but at the end of the day, the kind thoughts we hold for Irvine must not negatively impact upon our regard and esteem for our own. For those who got slaughtered by the warriors, came last for years and against all odds made the semi's with only a few new friends.

This heritage, the red and green blood that pumps through our hearts, it cannot be bought into the club by a single new player.

I salute Daniel Irvine and his heart of gold, his footballing gifts and talents and I will honour him in the greatest way I know how by saying that he wore the red and green.

But lets be steady during this intermission, lets not trip or blink.

Gee_Up

Juniors
Between Wing, Luke, Smith, Paea and Rogers we have plenty of options for the 6,7 and 9 jerseys.

I liked Irvine and thought he was unfairly dropped (notice we scored less points when he and Williams were dropped at the same time?). Our attack struggled.

Luke is best suited to being an impact player off the bench for another season imo.

ballfreek

Juniors
Irvine was rubbish at the Dogs , rubbish at Parra and rubbish at Souths. Just because you try your best it doesn't excuse the fact you're a crap player

Gee_Up

Juniors
Your a hard marker. Irvine was a key ingredient in our opening 3 wins. He played great in PL for the remainder of the year and was unlucky to not be sent back to 1sts.

ballfreek

Juniors
ballfreek said:
Irvine was rubbish at the Dogs , rubbish at Parra and rubbish at Souths. Just because you try your best it doesn't excuse the fact you're a crap player

Not sure who wrote this, but it wasn't me :p ..... must have still been logged somewhere and not realised