What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daniel Russell

girvie

Staff member
Hi,

What do you think of Daniel Russell?

I know he played for Penrith in 2004. How many nrl games did he play? Do you think he could get to that level again? Was he a good Premier League player?
Do you think he is better suited to five eighth?

Does he have a good kicking game? Is he a good organiser? Does he set up many tries?

Do you have any photos of him?

Thanks.

choc_soldier

Coach
girvie said:
Hi,

What do you think of Daniel Russell?

I know he played for Penrith in 2004. How many nrl games did he play? Do you think he could get to that level again? Was he a good Premier League player?
Do you think he is better suited to five eighth?

Does he have a good kicking game? Is he a good organiser? Does he set up many tries?

Do you have any photos of him?

Thanks.

He was used when we had that injury crisis in the halves halfway through 2004, with mixed success. I think he played three games, and all in different positions - he made his debut in the centres, and then was our five eighth and then halfback.

Not sure if he could make a return - he wasn't exactly out of his depth there, but it would have to be a fairly big injury crisis doubled with some good form on his behalf for that to happen. But I think he's far better suited to Premier League - more to his standard. I would probably classify him more as a five-eighth... he seemed to struggle when he was our number 7. Can't really remember his organisational skills in relation to a kicking game, but he is an established goal kicker.

Photo of him... if you have the 2004 NRL guide, there's one of them in there - he was in our 25 man squad last year.

I'll see if I scan and upload it tonight for you.

choc_soldier

Coach
Now I see the reason for the questions girvie... he's joined North Sydney for next year.

I think he's a decent pick up for the Bears.

girvie

Staff member
Thanks for that.

I think he will go well. He will be mainly playing five-eighth which i have heard is his prefered position. His brother John plays fullback for the Bears which is one reason why he has joined.

If he plays well then i think hehas a good chance of being called into the Storm side when Scott Hill gets injured. The Storm don't have much depth in the halves.

I found this picture of him.
Russell%2cD%204061132_195832_p.jpg
http://www.actionphoto.com.au/pics/Site Files/Proofs/Russell,D 4061132_195832_p.jpg

The Tank

Bench
He was alright in PL for Penrith, but went missing in First Grade. Good pick-up for the Bears I reckon.

choc_soldier

Coach
Danny has potential, and could be a solid first grade player, but probably not for at least a couple of seasons yet.

He pretty must lost a season this year, constantly getting injured.

lainey

Juniors
He only got to play 6 games this year. Having pins and a plate put in your hand pretty much rules the season out.....

*Sandy*

First Grade
Get him under a coach that suits his style of play and he will come back and bite Penrith in the arse. ;-)

He didnt have a cult following in 2003 for being a pedestrian at best or showing average class thats for sure.

I'm happy to hear Snowy's found somewhere, thanks girvie for the news. Who will be the coach? And will Scarts have anything to do with their training? Or do they train separately from the other teams?

anjado

Juniors
umm he was rubbish
worst halfback to play first grade for penrith
never took the line on coldnt defend
and didnt take initative
he only made grade on the back of his hair

lainey

Juniors
PK said:
Get him under a coach that suits his style of play and he will come back and bite Penrith in the arse. ;-)

He didnt have a cult following in 2003 for being a pedestrian at best or showing average class thats for sure.

I'm happy to hear Snowy's found somewhere, thanks girvie for the news. Who will be the coach? And will Scarts have anything to do with their training? Or do they train separately from the other teams?

I totally agree....although, he was worried that he wouldn't have a team to play for next year, he was gearing up to play Jim Beam for Cabramatta....I'm glad he found a team. :D

girvie

Staff member
PK said:
Former Wests and Illawarra halfback Josh White is coach. I think Premier League and Jersey Flegg do have joint training sessions and i'm sure Carter would help him with his game if he asked for it.

Big Mick

Referee
I rated Danny in 2003...then he went off the rails in 04' I thought.

Had a lot of injuries in 05' with Parra.

I am glad he has a club, I think with Melbourne's lack of quality backups in the halves, Danny will get a run and I think Bellamy would like him too. His defence is a worry, but he could always attack...suits Melbourne. I think SCarts should have a large influence on him as well.

girvie

Staff member
Is that Daniel Russell in the Eels shorts?

Also, do you know who the player next to him (in the middle) is? He looks like he is wearing Cougars shorts. (Brad Domek?)
20051120TRMAN4277SR.jpg