What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daniel wagon Form

Bazal

Post Whore
Lol....between these two they still can't string together a coherent sentence...

Stagger eel

Staff member
robbo74 said:
I for one believe in what u say to the bone. Daniel Wagon is way past his best and his russing up in defence leaves the players out side him strandard. ( look at 2005 G.F.Q ).
He may rack up 35 tackles in 45 min but how many of those are effective?. Oh and what about his attack or should i say WHAT ATTACK he has none. I like u love the eels but Wagon was past it 5 years ago.

aaaaahhh!! his played quite a number of games since that day and I can't remember him making the same mistake twice, by all means give us another example where he did it again.

Intersesting to see a thread on what we think on Wagon.

This season is about the first time he has won me over with solid defence and no-nonsense hit-ups.

Years before that, I always thought he was a ball hog in that whenever there looked a chance to spread it, he decided to try and "outfox" the defence by putting on some miserable excuse of a step and a joke of a speed burst, inevitabtly getting tackled.

Then there was his unforgiveable defensive line gaff which gave Nth Qld their first try and a subsequent roll, on that horrible, horrible Sunday in September 2005.

This year, when he has been on the park, he has just looked solid.

My opinion on him has turned the corner.

JOB 3:14

Juniors
The Colonel said:
I can't wait..... this will be interesting. I'm sure join the bandwagon will follow and put in a report on Eric Grothe as well.

You can't put in a report on Grothe because he is our "joker in the pack."

Bigfella

Coach
i intend after this weekend and next to prove that he not just a liability but a waste of a position.

[/QUOTE]

So you have already made your mind up, you are now going to watch the game to prove it?

And what if he plays well?

And as for the Wagon miss on Bowen in 2005, Eela is right. It is dead set the only time I have ever seen him do it, before or since.

I accept he is not the player he was in 2001. I also accept he doesn;t offer a lot of penetration in attack (although he did start this season very strongly in attack).

But fair dinkum, the bloke CAN tackle. In 2001 and 2002 I think he was the very best defender in the game. He is still right up there.

Hurriflatch

Referee
I can only recall 2 times in his career at Parra when Wags made monumental errors.

1. As mentioned was against the Cowboys in 2005 when he missed Bowen
2. Was against the Panthers at Penrith in the final round in 2003 when Parra had to win by 16 pts to make the finals, Parra leading by 10 Wags makes a break has Morris in support and unmarked doesn't pass, Penrith eventually won 40-24 or so.

But his good to great games have more then made up for these errors, one match that springs to mind was 2000 against the Roosters when Wags shut down Brad Fittler.

Hurriflatch said:
Wags makes a break has Morris in support and unmarked doesn't pass, Penrith eventually won 40-24 or so..

Wags not passing was a trademark of his game for the last couple of years up until recently. It used to frustrate the buggery out of me.

I think he has got that out of his game since.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Not passing isn't always a bad thing, but I agree that Wags has improved his reading of the play as to when to pass and when not to.

I recall a few times watching games and hearing people calling for Wags to pass the ball when him holding onto it was a much better option

The Colonel

Immortal
Cooper Cronk sure as hell got sick of seeing Daniel Wagon on Friday...... Jamie Soward or Gaz will probably mark him off their Xmas card list as well

Hurriflatch

Referee
Yep, and thats what Wags does

Follows the other mobs #1 reciever and hounds them all day

Fittler
Langer
Cronk
Orford
Johns
Jones
Anasta
Kimmorley
etc

NT_Eelsfan

Juniors
i think Wagon should go to Prems and Paulo come up, we dont need 2 second rowers on the bench, only one, we NEED two props though