What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Danny Buderus denies Brian Smith, Michael Hagan feud

The Colonel

Immortal
Danny Buderus denies Brian Smith, Michael Hagan feud

By Barry Toohey | July 29, 2008 12:00am

NEWCASTLE captain Danny Buderus last night dismissed any suggestion the Knights' clash against Parramatta on Monday night would be personal for rival coaches Brian Smith and Michael Hagan.
After taking each other's jobs last season, with Smith linking with the Knights and Hagan joining the Eels, the pair will again confront each other in a game vital to both sides' finals aspirations.
For Hagan, it will be his first trip back to EnergyAustralia Stadium as Eels coach after spending six years at the helm of the Knights.
But with so much at stake, there will be no time for sentiment.
The Knights (11th) and the Eels (13th) are locked together on 20 points, two points out of the eight and in a real dogfight for a playoffs berth among a log-jam of teams.
While a loss would not be terminal for either side, the loser would face a massive task to remain in the finals hunt.
Buderus indicated too much has happened since the coaching swap for the game to hold any great personal significance for either coach.
"I think they have both moved on to be honest," Buderus said.
"It is all about the game and how vital it is for both sides.
"It's a huge game for us. We simply can't afford to lose any home games from here on in and whether we get to the finals or not might come down to our game against the Raiders (away in a fortnight).
"But you can't look any further ahead than Monday's game."
Hagan said last night the coaching scenario is a non-issue.
"It's gone way past that for me and I'm sure it has for Brian too," Hagan said.
"It's my first trip back to Newcastle as a coach since I left and it has probably come at a pivotal period of the season with a fair bit at stake for both sides.
"I wouldn't say it's do-or-die but it is certainly going to be a lot harder for the loser in this game.
"It will probably feel a little different for me going up there but at the end of the day, you've just got a job to do and you do it."
Hagan revealed he and Smith have crossed paths and spoken three or four times since they swapped jobs.
"I spoke to him briefly after we played earlier this year and again last year when they beat us down here," Hagan said.
"We also had a bit of a chat at the coaches conference where I think I might have touched on the merits of living in Newcastle with him.
"There are certainly no dramas there at all and as I said, it really is a bit of a non-issue this far down the track."
Newcastle are expected to be strengthened by the return of Jarrod Mullen and Steve Simpson.
There is also a chance hooker-utility Matt Hilder could make a return from injury.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,21985,24098339-14823,00.html

spiderdan

Bench
didn't the papers run this story the last two clashes?

from memory last time it was the secret rivalry between the two that was so secret, neither of them knew it existed.

Mr Opinionated

Juniors
newcastle by plenty ...

Along with Hagan's obligatory post-match press conference bullcrap:
"We are close .."
"The players are on their last chance ..."
"The Knights played really well ..."
"I am at a lost to why we are playing like crap ..."
"We have to play boring football to win. Maybe we are not playing boring enough ..."

Jono078

Referee
It's not do or die? WTF

The team that loses basically has to win the rest of their games to make the semis!