What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darren Lockyer says rugby league should expand but slowly

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24076201-10389,00.html
Darren Lockyer says rugby league should expand but slowly
Article from: The Courier-Mail

Darren Lockyer

July 26, 2008 12:00am

RUGBY league has to spread its frontiers according to its own timetable, not be rushed into action by rival sports.
The Super League in Europe added teams from Salford and Wales.

Soccer took another step to adding a team from Townsville as well as the Gold Coast.

The AFL and their clubs are still in a debate about how effectively it can cultivate the west of Sydney as well as bring in a Gold Coast club in 2011.

That's all happened in the one week.

The sporting landscape surrounding NRL clubs is changing quickly.

I firmly believe the NRL should admit expansion clubs from Perth, to open up new money to rugby league, and a fourth team from Queensland.

The crowds and support for the three Queensland clubs makes it a bit of a no-brainer and I know NRL boss David Gallop is aware of the possibilities.

The west of Brisbane extending through to Ipswich or a team from Central Queensland, tapping into the mining boom and the enthusiasm for the game in cities such as Mackay and Rockhampton, would be the two best Queensland options.

But the NRL doesn't have to plant its flag into new areas simply because the AFL and soccer is doing so.

We need to get the game's backyard in Sydney secured before we expand. Some of the Sydney clubs are struggling financially and the game needs them to stay in the competition because they have history.

The Gold Coast is a city growing at a great rate, but the AFL and soccer organisations might find the Titans like an Olympic marathon leader who just can't be run down.

The AFL wants to win hearts and minds in western Sydney. Knowing how fervent the fans are in Penrith, Campbelltown and Parramatta, I reckon they have years of hard work in front of them.

There's nothing more counter-productive for a football code than expanding unsuccessfully.

But it does open up opportunities for young league players and creates more upper-level contracts for elite NRL players, as the Titans presented a fresh, well-paying challenge for Scott Prince and Luke Bailey.

In the shorter term, the two new Super League teams could mean four or five more top-shelf NRL players take up really big money to leave our competition.

I also couldn't help noticing that when the rugby union people were looking to promote their Bledisloe Cup Test, one player heavily featured was Timana Tahu. Another was another league convert Ryan Cross.

THE renewal of grapple tackle allegations against Storm players will have one positive for the premiers – consolidate an "us against them" feeling in the club in the countdown to the finals.

Dragons coach Nathan Brown stirred the debate this week by claiming their next meeting with Melbourne could be a "bloodbath" and he would tell his players to employ "eye for an eye" tactics.

These grapple tackle allegations against Storm players come up from time to time. My view, all the way through this, is that if player welfare is being endangered, the referees and the game needs to crack down with penalties and suspensions which are deterrents.

There's no doubt Craig Bellamy likes to slow teams down and win the ruck battle. It's important that a close eye is kept on it.

But the "Grapple" and 'chicken wing" tackle issues this year have created a valuable "us and them" mentality among the Storm.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
NRL teams in Perth and West Brisbane would be great for the game. Locky has used his column to talk up a team in Mackay at least once before but tbh I can't see the NRL going for it when there are much larger population centres without a team.

_Johnsy

Referee
So if Lockyer says it, it must be true.

I agree Perth, but a 4th QLDA team is a way off. Relocate someone to CC, and maybe another relocation to SE-QLD, but a a new side in SE-QLD, too early.

humpy

Juniors

I agree Perth, but a 4th QLDA team is a way off. Relocate someone to CC, and maybe another relocation to SE-QLD, but a a new side in SE-QLD, too early.

This is the thinking that is holding back our game. I live in Sydney, and support a sydney team, but we cannot keep coming down to the lowest common denominator.

Clubs have been offered numerous opportunities to relocate, and no-one has taken it up. Singo offered to fund a team COMPLETELY on the CC and was knocked back by the league.

It is time to bite the bullet and announce teams on the CC, Perth, Adelaide and an extra team in QLD over the next 5 years. Clubs will have 12 months to take up the option of relocating, and if no one wants it then bring in a new team, and if this means that other unfinancial teams fold, well then back to NSW cup they go and our league can get stronger rather than just treading water.

If it is my team (that I have supported for 35 years and am a season ticket holder for) that is relegated or goes bust, well I will still follow League, because it is the greatest game we have. I will just find a new club to follow.

_Johnsy

Referee
This is the thinking that is holding back our game. I live in Sydney, and support a sydney team, but we cannot keep coming down to the lowest common denominator.

Clubs have been offered numerous opportunities to relocate, and no-one has taken it up. Singo offered to fund a team COMPLETELY on the CC and was knocked back by the league.

It is time to bite the bullet and announce teams on the CC, Perth, Adelaide and an extra team in QLD over the next 5 years. Clubs will have 12 months to take up the option of relocating, and if no one wants it then bring in a new team, and if this means that other unfinancial teams fold, well then back to NSW cup they go and our league can get stronger rather than just treading water.

If it is my team (that I have supported for 35 years and am a season ticket holder for) that is relegated or goes bust, well I will still follow League, because it is the greatest game we have. I will just find a new club to follow.

I agree to sopme extent, if a club is in financial trouble and they do not take the relocation package, then they will die a slow death. It is evolution, the strong survive.

Brycey

Juniors

No QLDer will go within 50 miles of any team that has NSW blood running through it.

QLD can hold another team, Sunshine Coast or Ipswich. Probably both.

Eels Dude

Coach
I agree with the fact it should be done slowly. The way they AFL are going about their new sides is going to backfire on them. They want to put clubs in areas who don't want clubs and now they'll be getting cold feet. If they do end up getting clubs in Western Sydney and the Gold Coast it's going to chew up a lot of their money and potentially do damage to other AFL clubs. I don't mind the NRL sitting back and letting this happen as long as they put a long term plan in focus. Perth has a solid population but whether they actually will support a rugby league club at this point in time is another matter. Adelaide could be the safer option along with the central coast. Would like to see another club in QLD just to strengthen rugby league's grip there also, but that's years away.

quote from lockyer :

We need to get the game's backyard in Sydney secured before we expand. Some of the Sydney clubs are struggling financially and the game needs them to stay in the competition because they have history.

heaps more respect for him after those comments.

i agree perth and another queensland club would probably be the way to expand next time leaving central coast and wellington after that.

lets get complete ownership of queensland making it difficult for any other sport to get there.

leave central coast for later to allow sydney clubs and the knights to get more solid financially.

stormtragic

Juniors
. Adelaide could be the safer option along with the central coast. Would like to see another club in QLD just to strengthen rugby league's grip there also, but that's years away.

tend to agree with you there....no union to compete with...also could based the team out of adelaide oval, in 1997 they averaged 20k at the ground, people seem to love seeing sport there

I agree with the fact it should be done slowly. The way they AFL are going about their new sides is going to backfire on them. They want to put clubs in areas who don't want clubs and now they'll be getting cold feet. If they do end up getting clubs in Western Sydney and the Gold Coast it's going to chew up a lot of their money and potentially do damage to other AFL clubs. I don't mind the NRL sitting back and letting this happen as long as they put a long term plan in focus. Perth has a solid population but whether they actually will support a rugby league club at this point in time is another matter. Adelaide could be the safer option along with the central coast. Would like to see another club in QLD just to strengthen rugby league's grip there also, but that's years away.

adelaide > perth for RL

your dreaming.

perth actually produces RL players, indeed in ok numbers

we have juniors there and a team playing in a recognized competition.

its a no brainer

Eels Dude

Coach
adelaide > perth for RL

your dreaming.

perth actually produces RL players, indeed in ok numbers

we have juniors there and a team playing in a recognized competition.

its a no brainer

Adelaide were getting a lot better crowds then Perth were during Super League. Just because there happens to be 4 or 5 Perth rugby league fans in this forum doesn't mean we should just give you a team. Junior base shouldn't be a consideration because neither location has NRL quality players so they're all going to have to be recruited anyway. That's why I think a possible relocation is the best solution all round.

Adelaide were getting a lot better crowds then Perth were during Super League. Just because there happens to be 4 or 5 Perth rugby league fans in this forum doesn't mean we should just give you a team. Junior base shouldn't be a consideration because neither location has NRL quality players so they're all going to have to be recruited anyway. That's why I think a possible relocation is the best solution all round.

:lol:

yes perth should get a team because of the number of forum members on here.

lets ignore the junior set up in each, the fact that WA are mostly top of the state championships of that the western reds currently are playing in one of our competitions.

perth is far close to getting a viable junior system than adelaide, but hey the only reason you think adelaide is a good option is because there is no S14 side there

Make him CEO quick as possible. The fact that a player, whose job it is to just play football, can have a better understanding of what the game's goals should be than the bosses should be highly embarrassing to the NRL.

adamkungl

Immortal
imo Perth should be 1st and foremost. Central Coast, as much as they deserve a team, are unlikely to get one, simply because NSW already has 11 teams. Adelaide next. Let the Titans get a 10-15 foothold built before any more teams in SE QLD. I quite like the idea of a second NZ team as well.

My 'timetable' would be

Perth 2011 (I think that's when the next TV deal comes in? Whatever, whenever that is.)
Adelaide, 2015
CC/NZ2/QLD4 fight for 1 or 2 spots 2020

Eels Dude

Coach

lets ignore the junior set up in each, the fact that WA are mostly top of the state championships of that the western reds currently are playing in one of our competitions.

perth is far close to getting a viable junior system than adelaide, but hey the only reason you think adelaide is a good option is because there is no S14 side there

Firstly, I never said anything about Super 14 you idiot.

Fact is at the moment, neither Perth nor Adelaide could afford a rugby league side at the moment. Melbourne have the advantage of being owned by News Ltd and being so dominant over the last few years. They could very well be up s**t creek otherwise.

Juniors is a plus, but it's still a huge step up to get a NRL quality side on the park. It's going to take a heavy financial investment for the NRL to get it up and running and there's not enough money in the game right now.

paulyt

Juniors

I think the Western Force is the exact reason we should have a league team in Perth and the sooner the better. League is better than Union and the people of Perth have shown they're willing to support a rugby side. Having said that isn't the plan for the Reds to play in the lower grades and re-enter the NRL in 2012 or was that re-entry part just a rumour?

Firstly, I never said anything about Super 14 you idiot.

Fact is at the moment, neither Perth nor Adelaide could afford a rugby league side at the moment. Melbourne have the advantage of being owned by News Ltd and being so dominant over the last few years. They could very well be up s**t creek otherwise.

Juniors is a plus, but it's still a huge step up to get a NRL quality side on the park. It's going to take a heavy financial investment for the NRL to get it up and running and there's not enough money in the game right now.

yes my mistake on the union thing that was someone else.

its when you made that silly comment about people supporting a perth team because of the number of perth fans on here.

out of adelaide and perth, which is closer atm to a team?

to suggest adelaide is lunacy over perth

Eels Dude

Coach
yes my mistake on the union thing that was someone else.

its when you made that silly comment about people supporting a perth team because of the number of perth fans on here.

out of adelaide and perth, which is closer atm to a team?

to suggest adelaide is lunacy over perth

Fair enough. Perth may be closer but even they are way off. I don't necessarily think they are the best area for growth though, and that's something else we should be looking at.

Latest posts