What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Furner, new Souths assistant coach

handyman2190

Bench
Whats the bet if we dont pick up halfway through next season madge gets tapped on the shoulder and presto we have a coach in the wings capable of taking over. Its a contingency plan of Richos doing.
What do u think fellas?

DiegoNT

First Grade
I think Furner was a very deliberate pick. He wasn't a bad coach but at the same time he wasn't anything special. I think he is an experienced coach without being a threat. If we have an up and coming coach then he'd be a threat to maguire, if we picked someone like cleary or toovey he'd be a threat. If maguire walked he could fill in as care taker but i don't think you'd deliberately sack maguire for Furner. I see the signing of Furner as a vote of confidence for Maguire

southsport

First Grade
Whats the bet if we dont pick up halfway through next season madge gets tapped on the shoulder and presto we have a coach in the wings capable of taking over. Its a contingency plan of Richos doing.
What do u think fellas?

It does seem likely that Furner will end up with the reins eventually but I'm not sure if Madge will get a tap on the shoulder.

Curns13

Juniors
What do u think fellas?
That's exactly what I thought. Options without obviously undermining Madge.

southsport

First Grade
Does anyone think that Furner still has connections down Canberra way and could possibly tap into their pool of talent?

handyman2190

Bench
Does anyone think that Furner still has connections down Canberra way and could possibly tap into their pool of talent?

Definate possibility i like the idea of caretaker coach until the end of the season until a more definate candidate is chosen
What else would of enticed him to come , just money? I dont think so he is on a promise

alien

Referee
What do u think fellas?

definitely possible, at least until the end of that season

souths_reborn

Juniors
I think Furner was a very deliberate pick. He wasn't a bad coach but at the same time he wasn't anything special. I think he is an experienced coach without being a threat. If we have an up and coming coach then he'd be a threat to maguire, if we picked someone like cleary or toovey he'd be a threat. If maguire walked he could fill in as care taker but i don't think you'd deliberately sack maguire for Furner. I see the signing of Furner as a vote of confidence for Maguire
I like the point you raise about Furner being an experienced coach who isn't a threat. I believe that any ex-NRL coach can surely only be of value as an assistant coach due to their experience. However, I don't necessarily feel that it is vote of confidence for Madge; I think the fact that Madge's back room staff were sacked by powers higher up than Madge gives off the vibe that the axe is hanging right above Madge's head and should he fail at the start of next season, then it will fall. As I have said before, I don't like those underhanded tactics and I'd much rather us make a clean start for next season by getting rid of Madge or backing him 100%. I get the feeling that at the moment he is on "probation" and that brings with it instability and uncertainty around the club.

What do u think fellas?

Not sure,but tha would be the reasoning from Furner himself in taking the gig.

CAFPOW

Juniors
Madge won't get tapped on the shoulder unless he brings back Tyrell, McInnes and Nielsen because "They trained well"

southsport

First Grade
How can they be thinking of signing him for an extra 3 years at this point, when we lost 9 games in a row, and when he is already signed until the end of next season. It's ridiculous.

After the drubbing at the hands of the raiders there was media speculation about Madge's future, Richo said Madge was getting a three year extension most likely to silence the talk.

Pommy

Coach
How can they be thinking of signing him for an extra 3 years at this point, when we lost 9 games in a row, and when he is already signed until the end of next season. It's ridiculous.

I hope it's bollocks. I could understand a 1 year extension although I wouldn't agree with it.

Latest posts