What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Gallop has to go!

Gene Krupa

Referee
I just listened to the interview that was done with him on 2SM and I have to say this guy and his cronies have to go! Basically he said he'd rather have an exclusive agreement with a Sydney station and the money than have the whole of NSW having access to the rugby league games. The games on a monday night will probably only be broadcast in Sydney, and the rest of the country can go get farked! I would have thought exposure was more important than a few extra dollars. AFL broadcasts on 4 am stations giving blanket coverage. NRL has 3 giving selective coverage.

It shows how much Gallop needs to go when he can't even reply to a question and leaves huge dead air as he searches for a comment or reason for the NRLs decisions.

Give the game back to the ARL and let the people who KNOW league run the game.

AFL would be laughing their arses off right now.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Have to agree. Gallop is nothing more than a puppet for the hidden faces who have an agenda which is driven by selling pay TV subscriptions. Whilst AFL looks after AFL, no conflict of interest.

When you consider that sport drives pay TV and RL is the main game. They are not desperate for AFL, we should be charging them a massive amount of money, as without us they would be stuffed. Yet the idiots running our game give them a nice cosy deal.

Until News is completely out of RL the game will never get what it is truly worth, I won't hold my breath.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I think Gallop has done a fantastic job at the helm, the game has been getting bigger and bigger every year and has made a full recovery from the late nineties. I've got foxtel so I don't really care who broadcasts the Monday night games.

Gene Krupa

Referee
They will be playing the interview on the 2SM radio network later this afternoon for anyone who missed it and want hear what was said. 3.10 pm this arvo.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Walt Flanigan said:
I think Gallop has done a fantastic job at the helm, the game has been getting bigger and bigger every year and has made a full recovery from the late nineties. I've got foxtel so I don't really care who broadcasts the Monday night games.

So the only people who are allowed to experience Monday Night Football are foxtel subscribers?

Are you going to foot the bill for all those without foxtel?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Gallop has done the job of running the game extremely well IMO
that said this radio rights sitation was a complete c**k up, its is a bone head move of mamoth proportions.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Gene Krupa said:
So the only people who are allowed to experience Monday Night Football are foxtel subscribers?

Are you going to foot the bill for all those without foxtel?

If you are that desperate to watch it, go to a pub! Most league fans would have Fox as there are up to 4 live games on Fox every week!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Gallop done a great job? Listen to the man talk, he is measured and just pumps out rhetoric. How is RL coverage in SA, WA, Vic etc. What's wrong with having blanket coverage on the radio? Why aren't their books open for all to see, just as the AFL do, so we know where the money goes?
Why was our TV deal done in a week whilst the AFL's took months? Why are we constantly undersold?

innsaneink

Referee
I only caught the tail end of it, but by the sounds of it Hughes had him basically over a barrell, didnt wanna answer any more questions because he wouldnt/couldnt...just arrogantly stated, "Im just going to be repeating myself"

It is on Fox anayway!

The thing is the people in the heartland, the bush, the farmers, those people that are in the grip of drought struggling to make a buck are being forced to get FOX because the Mon nite deal wont include rural NSW.

He basically is saying if you live in the bush and you dont have foxtel, stiff...go listen or watch another sport on Mondays...this from the 'head' of the game.

lockyno1

Post Whore
innsaneink said:
He basically is saying if you live in the bush and you dont have foxtel, stiff...go listen or watch another sport on Mondays...this from the 'head' of the game.

What other sports are on mondays?:lol:

Gene Krupa

Referee
lockyno1 said:
If you are that desperate to watch it, go to a pub! Most league fans would have Fox as there are up to 4 live games on Fox every week!

Most league fans, eh? What a crock of crap! The subscription rate would be like 5 million if that was the case! What about the kids who can't go into a pub? And why should people go anywhere to listen to something that should be available to everyone?

Case in point, when the cricket tri series is played during the summer, do they show the games that don't involve the Aussie team at 11.30 at night? 12 hours AFTER it was played? NO! Why? Because the ACB have the balls to dictate when the games are shown. The NRL on the other hand, allows the FTA and Pay tv channels to dictate when and where their games are shown. Hence we can't even know whan a game is being played 5 weeks out. The AFL has released it's WHOLE draw this week, showing when, where and at what time EVERY game is being played throughout the year. They control Their media stuff, not the other way around.

I'll admit that Gallop has done a good job, but the cronyism in the organisation has got out of hand.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Walt Flanigan said:
That's right Krupa, it might do you some good to get out of the house for a change.

I have foxtel but that doesn't change the fact that alot of people don't have it. As for getting out of the house, do you live next to me and know all my movements? Farktard!

innsaneink

Referee
lockyno1 said:
What other sports are on mondays?:lol:

None...only RL from next year....but these people CANNOT access league.

Thats the problem. The CEO of the game is restricting it.

Are you really this dense?

Brutus

Referee
Please don't respond to Locky - he's just a troll.

Gallop is indeed a puppet protecting News LTD interests. How else can he explain cutting so many people off from proper radio coverage? Can he get it through his thick skull that 2GB do not cater for real rugby league fans and that many will not listen to their coverage?

Gallop sounded pathetic in that interview with Hughes. 2SM has given rugby league priceless publicity over the last couple of years, but that obviously counts for nothing.

You have to feel sorry for the country folk. Many don't have access to fox and their radio coverage continues to be f**ked.

Brutus

Referee
Not to mention the Saturday night issue.

How can Gallop possibly allow a blackout of certain Saturday night games next season?

I read today where 2UE and SM are thinking of covering Super 14 games - that's priceless coverage to a rival sport. 2UE did not bid for rights time after being knocked back time and time again.