What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Gallop has to go!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tail wagging the dog. As long as Fox owns the NRL nothing will change.

Don't the ARL control the TV negotiations for Int RL? If so they don't have much more of a clue given the tri nations state of coverage. RL is destined to be a great game run by idiots I fear.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Gene Krupa said:
Most league fans, eh? What a crock of crap! The subscription rate would be like 5 million if that was the case! What about the kids who can't go into a pub? And why should people go anywhere to listen to something that should be available to everyone?

Case in point, when the cricket tri series is played during the summer, do they show the games that don't involve the Aussie team at 11.30 at night? 12 hours AFTER it was played? NO! Why? Because the ACB have the balls to dictate when the games are shown. The NRL on the other hand, allows the FTA and Pay tv channels to dictate when and where their games are shown. Hence we can't even know whan a game is being played 5 weeks out. The AFL has released it's WHOLE draw this week, showing when, where and at what time EVERY game is being played throughout the year. They control Their media stuff, not the other way around.

I'll admit that Gallop has done a good job, but the cronyism in the organisation has got out of hand.

You are wrong there about the cricket actually. Kerry Packer was a passionate and mad cricket supporter. The reason every game of the world series/CUB and now VB series is/was on TV is because Packer wanted it on.

Cricket Australia actually also caved into Channel 9 the last time the broadcast rights were up. Remember how they only used to show the first two hours of a one dayer in the capital city of the state it was played in before switching to other programming to entice people to go the game? Well now Channel 9, because of ratings success, have the right to show the entire game sold out or not.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Since News took over RL the game has existed basically for greedy corporates to use/force people into buying pay TV. Without it hardly anyone would buy it.

Most decisions are made for the best interests of TV rather than the game.

Quidgybo

Bench
Raider_69 said:
Gallop has done the job of running the game extremely well IMO
that said this radio rights sitation was a complete c**k up, its is a bone head move of mamoth proportions.
Agreed. The radio deal really sells the game short and is a disgrace compared to other codes both in Australia and abroad. But on the whole the game is going great guns and David Gallop must take some credit for that. Not all the credit, just as he shouldn't take all the blame for any screw ups. As CEO he marches to the beat of the NRL board. If the board directs him that raw monetary returns are more important than wider exposure then that's his job. And that's the basis he'll be judged on by the people who count - his employers. But the undeniable fact is that just twelve months ago Rugby League in Australia had its most successful season ever. No ifs, no buts, no maybes - ever. And some people still want blood?!? For crying out load people, get some perspective.

Leigh.

ozzie

Bench
Gene Krupa said:
So the only people who are allowed to experience Monday Night Football are foxtel subscribers?

Are you going to foot the bill for all those without foxtel?
get INTERNET - oh you already have -

Frailty

First Grade
Agreed. The radio deal really sells the game short and is a disgrace compared to other codes both in Australia and abroad. But on the whole the game is going great guns and David Gallop must take some credit for that. Not all the credit, just as he shouldn't take all the blame for any screw ups. As CEO he marches to the beat of the NRL board. If the board directs him that raw monetary returns are more important than wider exposure then that's his job. And that's the basis he'll be judged on by the people who count - his employers. But the undeniable fact is that just twelve months ago Rugby League in Australia had its most successful season ever. No ifs, no buts, no maybes - ever. And some people still want blood?!? For crying out load people, get some perspective.

Hardly selling the game short if it is getting more money out of the exclusive rights. But that is beside point...

I would suggest people be very careful grilling Gallop over this interview, let's not forget that a radio station that doesn't have the rights is conducting the interview. They can easily edit it to make him look stupid, or even just direct its own bias over the situation.

And for those who think the ARL would do a better job... Get over it, the ARL needs to be reshuffled as it is a shambles too! Gallop has done a good job overall, and I am happy for the moment for him to stay on as CEO.

ledzep

Bench
Frailty said:
Hardly selling the game short if it is getting more money out of the exclusive rights. But that is beside point....
The NRL should be focusing on exposing the game to as wide an audience as possible, rather than focusing on making more money.
A wider supporter base would generate more money in the future than what they would gain from exclusive rights

Quidgybo

Bench
roosterbooster1 said:
The NRL should be focusing on exposing the game to as wide an audience as possible, rather than focusing on making more money.
A wider supporter base would generate more money in the future than what they would gain from exclusive rights
True over the longer term. But while only 1 out of 15 clubs is profitable, I suspect the short to medium term strategy is to maximise the raw dollars coming in so as to achieve financial self sufficiency across the board at the earliest possible point - which includes self sufficiency from News Ltd. We've got to remember there are only two ways News Ltd is relinquishing its stake in the NRL and clubs - either by abandoning a failed project and leaving the game in ruins or by getting a return on its investment and leaving the game healthy and stable. Surely even the anti-Murdoch brigade would have to agree the latter situation is preferable to the former and the sooner the better. That means making money, and as much as possible as quickly as possible. None of which is to say I agree with the radio rights decision, I think it is a disgrace. But I certainly don't see it as evidence of a more general lack of direction or strategy at the top of the NRL.

Leigh.

jed

First Grade
Gene Krupa said:
So the only people who are allowed to experience Monday Night Football are foxtel subscribers?
The Monday night game is the same one that used to be replayed at 6pm on Sundays - people without Foxtel never saw it before, they now won't see it on Monday nights instead. So why get your panties in a bunch???

Stagger eel

Staff member
well done Gallop...you've really Ribot'd yourself this time..

it's a sad day for rugby league that we have next no choice on who call the game, even sadder that Hadley and his Merry Manly men are the only choices we have.

Mr Saab

Referee
Always a bad sign when the CEO is stumbling, stuttering and mumbling when a question is put to him.
He has zero concern for the country listeners as he knows they are not his bread and butter.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Gallop is there for one reason, to please board members. His doing his job it's not him who needs to be sacked it's the board members who need to get their priorities straightened.

ocko

juniors
lol

hopefully this doesn't turn 2sm into some sort of heroes. But a crap decision by the nrl.

Quidgybo

Bench
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:
Gallop is there for one reason, to please board members. His doing his job it's not him who needs to be sacked it's the board members who need to get their priorities straightened.
Exactly. The CEO is the mouth piece. He presents the options to the board, they make the decision and then they send him out to face the wolves to defend it. If he's stumbnling and stuttering while trying to defend the indefensible then stop for a moment and consider that it might just be because privately he agrees with the criticism.

Leigh.

Misty Bee

First Grade
All I can say is well done to all the f**ktards that championed pay TV as the savior when C9 broadcast the 1st TNG on 1 hr delay. Those of us without pay TV yet again will suffer because of NRL ineptitude and greed.

And where is Tallis? I recall all his 'fans' applauding the promotion of this brainless fleabag, saying 'he'll stick up for the game'!!!!

With, what, 4 stations AT LEAST that we know would happily broadcast games on radio, we have guaranteed that the audience is limited severely, and the market being targetted by radio is the 6 generations inbred 12 fingered banjo players whose life is otherwise consumed with watching the bathwater form little whirlpools as it drains, and trying to light matched with their teeth, just like their 'paww' used to do.

The people that find Hadley entertaining find bowell movements rivetting.

I guess that's why Lockyno1 is happy.

adamkungl

Immortal
Misty Bee your rant was the closest thing to a bowel movement I'll see on this forum yet it was by no means rivetting. So yes, I find Hadley entertaining and i believe they have the best commentary team in the game, if you don't like it don't listen.
Moronic rants like this only detract from the valid argument that country people and non-foxtel owners are getting rooted by broadcasters and the NRL. Either you have to pay for foxtel or cop Nine's bullcrap delays, or listen on the radio. The tri-nations has shown this multiple times already. If you live in the country your even more screwed.

Green Machine

First Grade
David Gallop was just delivering a decision made by the Premiership Partnership committee that also involves the Clubs and the ARL. If it was such a great deal, they would tell us all how much money was involved. One of his comments yesterday really disturbed me:

2GB were keen to remain exclusive

This seems to contradict Ray Hadley’s position on what 2GB should be bidding for. If Ray Hadley is so confident that he can win the ratings on Friday Night, Saturday and Sunday, why would his station need exclusive rights? I wonder if the NRL have any guarantees on Friday night commercial coverage. What will happen if 2GB decide that Friday night is not rating like a 7.30pm Saturday, will they just drop the Friday night coverage? Will there be any coverage of the second Friday night game?