What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Peachey. What are we getting?

Hi guys,

I'm Jack and I'm an avid Widnes fan. We heard about the Peachey rumours yesterday and most of the fans would be pleased if we captured a player of his quality.

Just wanted to know, as the fans on here hold him in high regard and know his game well. What type of players are we going to get? (In terms of strengths, weaknesses, injury status, how long he can play etc.)

Thanks

Jack

Booyah

Bench
An example. Look at how Dennis Moran or Adrian Lam carved up. Peachey is at least 1 million times better then those two combined. He will do things on a football field you haven't seen before, and probably won't ever again.

He'll be a good buy - if he signs.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Firstly, there are a few people on here who will bag him. Ignoe comments from the likes of Dragon Slayer, Pogo etc.
They are idiots and proven it countless times on this forum.
Both seem to have an issue with peachy and is has manifested into a vile hatred of our great clubmen, perhaps one of our greatest ever.
Getting that aside, what youy are getting is a guy who lives & breathes rugby league.
He has sublime silky skills that will amaze you.
His strengths far outweigh any weaknesses & include
Incredible vision
Beautiful passing game
great kickin game
great catching game
great dummy half game
great defense
Proven match winner on countless occassions

His weakness's ae mainly due to his age
Speed Over distnace is deteriorating
His body type is not conducive for remaining injury free in full frontal hits like when returning the football out of his own half. He is very lanky & slightly built bony legs.
Hamstring concerns, which cold weather wont help.
You are getting a fantastic player who will be a crowd favourite & easily has 2 years of footy in him.
I wish he was staying with us.

Breadman

Juniors
expect a couple of try saving tackles a game, something I've noticed that quite a few people on here seem to miss/ignore

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
nobody normal misses it Breadman.
some of peachys best work is pre-emptive/proactive stuff too.
But yes, he has been cleaning up for the likes of mellor & Vagana on a weekly basis.

Breadman

Juniors
unfortunately I'm over in England and haven't seen many games this year and was basing that on previous years, we could've copped been alot more ugly beatings without Peach at the back.
Your getting a great player and a great man Jack, a couple of years ago Peach was at a fundraising event (selling sports memorabillia - never tried to spell that word before) that a bloke I worked with was at, knowing I'm a huge Sharks and Peach fan he very drunkinly went up to Peach and asked him if he called me would he have a few words, Peach obliged straight away and had a bit of a chat to me, I know it seems like no big thing but just shows what a champion bloke he is

The Popper

Bench
Yep, that's about right. Peach is getting on in years but he still has the ability to pull a game out of the fire and often cleans up in defence and is exceptional under the high ball. At one time he rivalled Anthony Minichiello and Lockyer as best full back in the country. He will definitely add another dimension to your attack.

coolumsharkie

Referee
About the only thing your not getting is a player with a ton of pace... He definately makes up for any shortage of pace with his giant like reads in attack/defense and freakish skills...

Will single handedly win you games garuanteed.

Sharkie73

Bench
Jack your getting a first rate player. As its been said here Peach is a game breaker. Apart from being a bit slower these days he makes up for it with experiance and the ability to read a game so well.

PS. I hope you guys get religated so he stays at the Sharks:p

BWNB

First Grade
Peach the great , hope he stays here he is a very a good player.
i would be very sad to see him leave but when the time is to leave he has gotta leave , i think simmons willl develop into a good fullback

Craigshark

First Grade
Jack, your getting a great player and a great clubman..
I am another one here who will be very sad to see him leave.. I really want him to stay, watching him play for us for so many years now i can't really imagine the Sharks without Peachey at the back..
I especially don't want him to go, because i think of his replacement Simmons.. Sure he has gotten better and he has been going alright on the WING, but i really don't think he is a fullback.. I hope i am proved wrong..

BWNB

First Grade
Craigshark said:
Jack, your getting a great player and a great clubman..
I am another one here who will be very sad to see him leave.. I really want him to stay, watching him play for us for so many years now i can't really imagine the Sharks without Peachey at the back..
I especially don't want him to go, because i think of his replacement Simmons.. Sure he has gotten better and he has been going alright on the WING, but i really don't think he is a fullback.. I hope i am proved wrong..

i dont know but i dont think he would be able to cope out there its very far from home and family and i think sometimes he does get homesick
As for simmo i think one more season with peach and then he will be alrite, he doesn't have the same tallent but he is getting better week by week

Craigshark

First Grade
I agree, thats the only doubt in my mind about Peachey going there.. He has always gotten home sick and he loves Dubbo and always says that when he finishes up he will be going back there.. I really think that he will either stay here with us or go back to Dubbo.. But if and whether he goes to England or Dubbo its still the same he won't be playing with us..
Come on Peachey stay for one more year atleast..

black_dot

Juniors
You're getting , on top of everything reefy and others have said, a point producing, line breaking 5/8 when you have the ball in the attacking third of then field. Having seen the english SL defences first hand, and the formation that play and the lack of lateral movement, peach will be dummying and sliding through at an angle many times with his huge lateral step and will be scoring MANY tires slicing through untouched, putting the ball down dangerously close to the dead ball line just to keep it interesting !

Mr Sharkie

Juniors
He's not the player for you Widnes, withdraw your offer immeadiately. We'll offer him a contract extension just to be nice.;-)

MightySharks

Bench
You are not getting anything he is staying with us, we are stealing his passport and detaining him in the Shire for the rest of his days!

Nullajet

Juniors
You guys will LOVE him!!!!!!!!

Everything mentioned above is spot on! He is a legend like ET for this club in so many ways. Not only his efforts, loyalty and entertainment value on the field but also for his genuine friendly nature off the field!

One of the best ever, and we hate seeing him go because, quite frankly he has more years of value in him right here!!!