What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

De Ja Vu???

Jayell

Juniors
Anyone feeling a bit of de ja vu this year when we have got got cleaned up by the storm and the dragons????
I really think its a fine line between this year and last year. A couple of players out and we have got nothing. There are too many guys that couldnt cut it last year and still can't now.
i am aware of Joey's lengthy injury and the players we did have out, but i do think as supporters we tend to, at times, over-estimate the ability of a lot of our players.
I am a little concerned that the first half a dozen rounds have decieved us in terms of where we are at....might face another reality check on saturday

Jono078

Referee
Jayell said:
I really think its a fine line between this year and last year. A couple of players out and we have got nothing. There are too many guys that couldnt cut it last year and still can't now.
I disagree.. There are players who are wonderful back ups.. Shame about our Coach though.

Frederick

Staff member
...Last year we were dead last, without a win, and hundreds of players injured on the sidelines. This year, we're currently 4th, have been first 3 times, have won 8 games, and only have about 2 players on the sidelines injured (seeings as we've got Simmo, Newto and Quinn back this week)
I got no feelings of deja vu whatsoever.

RABK

Referee
Let me just say that both nights just wearn't our nights.

Everything that went wrong in the build up did, every single bounce of the ball, every 50/50 - heck even every 70/30 calls went against us. Teams have nights like that and doesn't help when your opposition is on fire.

Last year we were not that bad a team at all, i think we proved had the injury gods had given us a break early on we were a top 8 team.

We are the team we showed in the first 3 weeks of the comp, we've just gotta get that team back around a fit and firing Joey. Hopefully this is going into the finals. Milton is the man we've missed terribly.

I don't think it's time to go for the razor blades and slash the wrists just yet.

We've just had a couple of bad nights... every club has. It's an occupational hazard of playing in a even comp.

antonius

Coach
I actually think we'll show up to play this week. My concerns are more about team selection than anything else. Hagan has been selecting lightweight benches and playing guys out of position, I don't think he selects the best possible team available each week, The Dragons caught us out big time with that, we need some muscle on the bench, and players playing their best position, and the best available players for positions selected, that aint happening at the moment. Replacing Milton with Kidley think about what that does to the team. Replacing Kidley, or Mullen with Lowrie, what does that do to the team? Take out Simmo, and Newton. That's big changes to the team we started the year with.

jamesgould

Juniors
Jayell said:
Anyone feeling a bit of de ja vu this year when we have got got cleaned up by the storm and the dragons????
i am aware of Joey's lengthy injury and the players we did have out, but i do think as supporters we tend to, at times, over-estimate the ability of a lot of our players.
I am a little concerned that the first half a dozen rounds have decieved us in terms of where we are at....might face another reality check on saturday

I do think there is an incredible amount of blame atributed to two people for every loss on this board: Hagan and Kurt Gidley. Sure, they're not the best at what they do, but other players don't aim up some of the time as well. Not saying that everyone thinks this, but that's the way it comes across in the majority of posts. If these two left the club then we would march through every season unbeaten and have 17 players in the Australian team.

antonius

Coach
jamesgould said:
I do think there is an incredible amount of blame atributed to two people for every loss on this board: Hagan and Kurt Gidley. Sure, they're not the best at what they do, but other players don't aim up some of the time as well. Not saying that everyone thinks this, but that's the way it comes across in the majority of posts. If these two left the club then we would march through every season unbeaten and have 17 players in the Australian team.
I'm holding the coach accountable for most of it. Kidley can only play where he's selected, same with Lowrie. Carmonts first year here was on the wing and he was very succesful there, Hagan has since stuck him at centre where up until recently he's struggled big time, meanwhile we have a more than proven centre ( Tighe) running around in premier league. Selecting players like Brown and Mullen on the bench, persisting with Tanner at lock are other examples. There's a very fine line between selections, positions, performance, putting players in foriegn positions is asking for trouble, not picking the best available for those positions is also a folly. I blame Hagan for all of that.

jamesgould

Juniors
Having seen today's side with Kurt at fullback and Lowrie at 5/8 again, I would like to retract my previous post re Hagan haha.

shane1970

Juniors
Yeah I can see some De Ja Vu happening - I seen St George do it to as last week after we flogged them earlier in the year and after seeing the same side picked this week I can see MORE DEJAVU this week with the Bulldogs paying us some back after we also flogged them earlier in the year.
Unless we get some players back from injury shortly, or returned to first grade or even a few positional changes, the SLIDE may continue for a little while yet.
But in saying that all teams have a 'rough patch' at some stage of the comp and atleast ours is now and not later in the lead up to the finals.

Ben

Bench
I can't even remember what happened last year. Sure we lost thirteen games in a row last year but I can't remember who our biggest losses were against. Maybe I should stop the long nights out.

Back on topic, I feel sorry for a player like Kidley. He has some talent, more notably, his ability to run the ball but gets stuck in stupid positions like fullback where he has to play as a support player, and five eighth, where he gets forced to play as a play maker. He is neither a support player or a play maker, he is simply a guy with a neat step, good agility and can break tackles, and normally people with these abilities play out in the centres.