What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Pay quits Bulldogs

gerg

Juniors
Have you seen DWZ and Smith play centre? Whilst spine is definitely a priority there isn't exactly an abundance of quality spine players on the market

Well they paid him (DWZ) fullback money and he is a better centre than fullback, but was and is a better winger than either other position. The point is that it doesn't matter the quality players you have if your spine is Marshall-king, Foran/Lewis and whoever they throw in at fullback.

aqua_duck

Coach
Well they paid him (DWZ) fullback money and he is a better centre than fullback, but was and is a better winger than either other position. The point is that it doesn't matter the quality players you have if your spine is Marshall-king, Foran/Lewis and whoever they throw in at fullback.
DWZ is lucky to be a first grader period and same goes with Smith. The point is they need to rebuild half the squad if not more, even Cronk and Keary wouldn't be able to do much in that dogs team

Dogs need to go back to what made them a powerhouse in the 80’s and 90’s... Raiding other teams juniors.

I’m absolutely certain Barrett is part of a return to this strategy as I’m sure he’ll be plucking the eyes out of Penriths junior base already.

It's still a damn shame what happened to Toovey. I believe that one off year they had quite a few injury dramas as well.

It's even more strange that he hasn't picked up any other head coaching roles since those days - especially when someone like Kearney or Ricky Stuart (coming off his Eels tenure) keep finding work.

It might be that Toovey is being picky about any head coaching job offers. I mean if Barrett gets the Bulldogs job and fails at it, that will be two bad stints at two different clubs which would tarnish his prospects of being offered future head coaching jobs. Only job I've heard his name mentioned in connection to recently was the NZ Warriors.

The_Frog

First Grade
Dogs need to go back to what made them a powerhouse in the 80’s and 90’s... Raiding other teams juniors.

I’m absolutely certain Barrett is part of a return to this strategy as I’m sure he’ll be plucking the eyes out of Penriths junior base already.
He will if they let him.

The_Frog

First Grade
Penrith can't keep them all, it's a solid strategy.
Panthers Top 30 Players off contract this year:

Jed Cartwright (signed for 2021 by Rabbitohs)
Kaide Ellis (now @ Dragons, but available for 2021)
Tyrone May (to sign shortly)
Braydon McGrady
James Tamou (still haggling, may be available to other clubs at the right price)
Malakai Watene-Zelezniak

Hardly a list likely to take the Dogs back to the glory days of the 80's is it?

dogslife

Coach

Braydon McGrady
James Tamou (still haggling, may be available to other clubs at the right price)
Malakai Watene-Zelezniak

Not that I'm foreshadowing anything here, but NRL contracts are almost worthless these days. I think David Klemmer still has 3 years to run on his Bulldogs contract, John Bateman, the list goes on

10$ Ferret

Staff member
OK Dean Pay has resign, but we are seeing why the Bulldogs are in a real mess, who are the proposed solutions for a coach ?
Barrett, as someone said a quitter. But also as dumb as.
Bennett, honestly anyone looking at Bennett as a coaching option is mad in the head. He will do nothing but buggarise your club and leave it worse than 10 Haslers.

IF they had half a clue they would be looking at someone like Hook

Big Pete

Referee
It will be interesting to see how Barrett goes without Bozo. I thought Manly did really well with their rebuild and identified a lot of great talent around the competition, Barrett just couldn't get them to defend.

I'd love to know the true extent of the Bulldogs cap. They could have easily moved on more players if they chose to and sign some players other than fringe edge forwards from other clubs. Where is all the money going? I don't think they're in as bad a situation and should be far more active moving forward.

It's going to be a very interesting couple of years post-Covid, I can't see St George Illawarra, Canterbury, Brisbane, Warriors etc. staying this bad. I can see a real evening out of teams in coming years, especially as Bennett and Bellamy inch closer to retirement.

Sphagnum

Coach
What players will sign with the bulldogs now? You’d only go for massive overs and wouldn’t care about winning or losing. Great culture to build. Works well at the Titans.

Incorrect

Coach

Braydon McGrady
Malakai Watene-Zelezniak

I could see Tamou taking of advantage of the Dogs dilemma and securing himself one last massive pay day by signing with them.

Reflector

Juniors
It will be interesting to see how Barrett goes without Bozo. I thought Manly did really well with their rebuild and identified a lot of great talent around the competition, Barrett just couldn't get them to defend.

I'd love to know the true extent of the Bulldogs cap. They could have easily moved on more players if they chose to and sign some players other than fringe edge forwards from other clubs. Where is all the money going? I don't think they're in as bad a situation and should be far more active moving forward.

It's going to be a very interesting couple of years post-Covid, I can't see St George Illawarra, Canterbury, Brisbane, Warriors etc. staying this bad. I can see a real evening out of teams in coming years, especially as Bennett and Bellamy inch closer to retirement.

Bellamy was playing when Bennett was already coaching the Broncos. He'll be stinking up the league with his grubby tactics for years to come. Hopefully once COVID-Cam retires he won't enjoy the same success from it anymore.

The_Frog

First Grade
I could see Tamou taking of advantage of the Dogs dilemma and securing himself one last massive pay day by signing with them.
Herein lies the Bulldogs dilemma. Tamou is a damn good prop forward, even if he is getting on, but they will pay overs (ie more than his current club is prepared to pay) to sign him in order to get a quick fix. Doing this consigns a club to the cellar.

The_Frog

First Grade
I can't see St George Illawarra, Canterbury, Brisbane, Warriors etc. staying this bad. I can see a real evening out of teams in coming years, especially as Bennett and Bellamy inch closer to retirement.
St George, Canterbury, Parramatta, Manly and most of the Sydney clubs that don't run substantial development systems will have cycles of success and failure on the field, exactly as is happening now. Even the Panthers will have cycles, but our bad years will be like 2019 (one point out of the 8). While you have Broncos, Storm and Roosters all winning more than their share every year you must have other clubs losing.

He’s the definition of kissed on the d*ck. How he got a head coaching role with his record as a head coach in the U20s is beyond me. At Manly he went as awfully as expected, had a tantrum about furniture and cleaning the gym on his way out and walked back into an assistant coaching job at Penrith right when everything came together and the team’s starting to sing. Now he’s being considered for another head coaching role, some people just have all the luck.

To be fair, Nathan Cleary has credited Barrett for a good part of their current success:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...orm-for-panthers-success-20200715-p55cc5.html

The_Frog

First Grade
He’s the definition of kissed on the d*ck. How he got a head coaching role with his record as a head coach in the U20s is beyond me. At Manly he went as awfully as expected, had a tantrum about furniture and cleaning the gym on his way out and walked back into an assistant coaching job at Penrith right when everything came together and the team’s starting to sing. Now he’s being considered for another head coaching role, some people just have all the luck.
Gus will tell you he recommended him to Bozo but didn't believe he was ready yet (maybe this last bit is being wise after the event). Gus's recommendation carries a lot of weight in coaching circles. In his podcast he'll tell you how he was the father figure for Ricky Stuart, John Cartwright, Ivan Cleary and Shane Flanagan at the Roosters in 2002.

reanimate

Bench
To be fair, Nathan Cleary has credited Barrett for a good part of their current success:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...orm-for-panthers-success-20200715-p55cc5.html
Quite a few Manly players said he was a great coach too, the results didn't reflect it though. Players seem to really like him.
Gus will tell you he recommended him to Bozo but didn't believe he was ready yet (maybe this last bit is being wise after the event). Gus's recommendation carries a lot of weight in coaching circles. In his podcast he'll tell you how he was the father figure for Ricky Stuart, John Cartwright, Ivan Cleary and Shane Flanagan at the Roosters in 2002.
It's quite possible he does have a lot of potential as a coach and was just completely in over his head at Manly.

The_Frog

First Grade
Quite a few Manly players said he was a great coach too, the results didn't reflect it though. Players seem to really like him.
The is why the Dogs should chase Hook. 3/3 finals years at Penrith vs 1/3 at Manly, the same 3 years too, and both coming from a low base. Barrett had the Turbo Bros and DCE but his roster lacked depth. Maybe Hook's not interested in the Dogs, you couldn't blame him.

betcats

Referee

Wouldnt be a bad signing for them. Jimmy T has been a good leader for us the last few years and is still playing good footy.

Latest posts