What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Widders

chileman

Coach
Obviously seen him on the footy field for years now but it was good to see another side of him on Fox last night, our code needs more footy players like him who put back into the community but it comes naturally, he doesn't just do it to try to keep up a good image!

Stagger eel

Staff member
yep, he's definitely a better bloke than he is footballer and that's not in any way downgrading his footballing talents.

Stagger eel

Staff member
chileman said:
Obviously seen him on the footy field for years now but it was good to see another side of him on Fox last night, our code needs more footy players like him who put back into the community but it comes naturally, he doesn't just do it to try to keep up a good image!

btw Amigo, are you heading out there on Saturday night??

strider

Post Whore
yeah a real good guy ... but good guys don't necessarily win you premierships and i think our club has decided thats what they want .... it'll be a shame to see him go

chileman

Coach
eelavation said:
btw Amigo, are you heading out there on Saturday night??
I certainly will be, will be meeting some of the Parra crew here after the game in the Rose and Crown :alcho: but if you can't make it there just ask some of the Manly supporters who will point me out!

Stagger eel

Staff member
chileman said:
I certainly will be, will be meeting some of the Parra crew here after the game in the Rose and Crown :alcho: but if you can't make it there just ask some of the Manly supporters who will point me out!

mate, I'll see you at the pub..looking forward to having a quiet ale with you.;-)

lucablight

First Grade
Can somebody explain to me why the hell he was let go? Please keep in mind he was given permission to negotiate BEFORE June 30.

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
Can somebody explain to me why the hell he was let go? Please keep in mind he was given permission to negotiate BEFORE June 30.

we simply couldn't compete with what Souths were offering..just bare in mind also that Souths want him to play for 80 minutes next year which may well change and effect the way Dean plays..

I'm sad to see him go but comfortable with the decision they made.

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:
we simply couldn't compete with what Souths were offering..just bare in mind also that Souths want him to play for 80 minutes next year which may well change and effect the way Dean plays..

I'm sad to see him go but comfortable with the decision they made.

How can that be possible if we were the ones who let him negotiate first. He wouldn't have known how much he was being offered. In all honestly who would you rather have. Finch and Lowrie or Widders? I'm in a bit of a catch 22 situation because I want him to play well but it makes it harder to fathom that he's leaving at the end of the season.

It's better to have one superstar player who will carve up than two average players IMO.

lucablight

First Grade
Also how can I be expected to believe we couldn't compete with the offer after the amount of players we let go? We obviously thought he wasn't worth the money he was asking which I believe is an incorrect assessment.

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:

How can that be possible if we were the ones who let him negotiate first. He wouldn't have known how much he was being offered. In all honestly who would you rather have. Finch and Lowrie or Widders? I'm in a bit of a catch 22 situation because I want him to play well but it makes it harder to fathom that he's leaving at the end of the season.

It's better to have one superstar player who will carve up than two average players IMO.

he already knew what was offered at Souths Sydney..all it took was an expression of interest with his manager. to add to that, I think Dean was always looking at a change of clubs and Souths were obviously favourites due to the fact that he lived in the area.

Again, I'm confortable with the fact we didn't pay 250K to a bench player, your not, that's just life.

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:
he already knew what was offered at Souths Sydney..all it took was an expression of interest with his manager. to add to that, I think Dean was always looking at a change of clubs and Souths were obviously favourites due to the fact that he lived in the area.

Again, I'm confortable with the fact we didn't pay 250K to a bench player, your not, that's just life.

So you're saying Souths breached the anti tampering deadline?

Saying that he's merely a bench player is ridiculous. He would easily play 60+ minutes a game. That's more than Fui and he's a starting prop. I think you're selling him a bit short there. Saying he's just a bench player is a drastic oversimplification.

People were saying the same sort of thing about Hodgson when he left. Yes we did get Mckinnon who is a very good player but I wouldn't say he's better.

yy_cheng

Coach
He's one of my favourite players.

So I am happy he is getting paid well. If he went to another club for an amount we would've paid, then I would be pissed.

I hope he goes well at Souths and hopefully one day represent Australia. It would be an honour to see him off the bench for the Aussies as a proud aboriginal.

I reckon if he went to the UK, he would kill it over there.

As for Parra, it really is time for Mateo to put in and play the best to his abilities week in, week out so that he can have a sniff of 1st grade next year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
So you're saying Souths breached the anti tampering deadline?

Saying that he's merely a bench player is ridiculous. He would easily play 60+ minutes a game. That's more than Fui and he's a starting prop. I think you're selling him a bit short there. Saying he's just a bench player is a drastic oversimplification.

People were saying the same sort of thing about Hodgson when he left. Yes we did get Mckinnon who is a very good player but I wouldn't say he's better.

no! I didn't say Souths were breaching the anti tampering rule i said the club had expressed an interest to make him an offer, that may come in the shape of a phone call to his manager..every club, player, player manager used this loophole!!!...there was no official offer on the table at the time so it wasn't tampering.

I heard some where that Dean has only played 1 full game for the club, i could be wrong but for arguements sake lets just say he played 5 full games..that's 5 from 110..to me that's a bench player..to you?? it's not.

I'm sweet with that.

Stagger eel

Staff member
btw, Dean was eventually allowed to Negotiate with other clubs prior to June 30 as long as Parra had last reply..nothing wrong with that.

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:
no! I didn't say Souths were breaching the anti tampering rule i said the club had expressed an interest to make him an offer, that may come in the shape of a phone call to his manager..every club, player, player manager used this loophole!!!...there was no official offer on the table at the time so it wasn't tampering.

I heard some where that Dean has only played 1 full game for the club, i could be wrong but for arguements sake lets just say he played 5 full games..that's 5 from 110..to me that's a bench player..to you?? it's not.

I'm sweet with that.

Ok so there was an expression of interest. The Eels management didn't even bother waiting for the June 30 deadline. They let him negotiate beforehand! This says to me that he wasn't wanted in any case because they wouldn't have known about the exact price (although they may have known it was a sizeable offer).

Yes he is a bench player. As I said before. He plays 60+ min a game which is more than some of the other forwards at the club who start. Why are you ignoring that? Are you trying to imply that all bench players are inferior to their starting counterparts?

Parra R 4 Me

Juniors
My son who is 9, had to do a school project on an famous indigenous Australian. So instead of doing Arthur Beetson, Kathy Freeman etc, he asked his teacher if he could do his on Dean Widders, he was told go for it. Well after much research and help from fellow Eels supporters he handed in his project on Dean and got a "A" 100/100. He posted the project to Dean and received a personal written letter from Dean thanking him very much on choosing him for his project either through he would not class himself as a famous indigenous Australian like Arthur and Kathy. But in my son's eyes he is as famous as them. He was disappointed when I told him Dean was leaving Parra to go to Souths next year. We are hoping to fly to Sydney next month to watch the boys play Brisbane, so Sean can meet Dean before his departure, as Dean has asked to meet him.

The Colonel

Immortal
lucablight said:
Ok so there was an expression of interest. The Eels management didn't even bother waiting for the June 30 deadline. They let him negotiate beforehand! This says to me that he wasn't wanted in any case because they wouldn't have known about the exact price (although they may have known it was a sizeable offer).

I'd say they had more than a fair idea when Widders manager would have asked them to be allowed to negotiate what offers were being tabled. The club would have put forward their offer, the manager would have returned with what he thinks he should get. Given that an expression of interest had ben put forward the figures the manager would have been talking would have been the same, close to or more than what ever offer he had been given.

yy_cheng

Coach
Parra R 4 Me said:
My son who is 9, had to do a school project on an famous indigenous Australian. So instead of doing Arthur Beetson, Kathy Freeman etc, he asked his teacher if he could do his on Dean Widders, he was told go for it. Well after much research and help from fellow Eels supporters he handed in his project on Dean and got a "A" 100/100. He posted the project to Dean and received a personal written letter from Dean thanking him very much on choosing him for his project either through he would not class himself as a famous indigenous Australian like Arthur and Kathy. But in my son's eyes he is as famous as them. He was disappointed when I told him Dean was leaving Parra to go to Souths next year. We are hoping to fly to Sydney next month to watch the boys play Brisbane, so Sean can meet Dean before his departure, as Dean has asked to meet him.

You usually post over at the official forum right?

I think I was the one who suggested that he should send it to Deano.

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:

Yes he is a bench player. As I said before. He plays 60+ min a game which is more than some of the other forwards at the club who start. Why are you ignoring that? Are you trying to imply that all bench players are inferior to their starting counterparts?

no I'm not..I don't believe he's not worth the sort of money that Souths are paying him for next season and beyond...but in no way implying that he or other bench players are more inferior than any other player.

are you implying that i can't have an opinion??