What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Widders

strider

Post Whore
lucablight said:
If we were replacing him with someone better using that "bigger money" I would have no problem with that but the fact is that we are not. It defeats the whole purpose of saving "bigger money".

but its not JUST next seasons money that would have to be tied up - all players want 2 or 3 seasons

what if some superstar player can be had next season but we've tied our money up on a guy who maybe wasn't quite worth it???

I don't know if Hagan's decision was right or wrong but he clearly decided deano wasn't part of his future plans .... so be it

lucablight

First Grade
strider said:
but its not JUST next seasons money that would have to be tied up - all players want 2 or 3 seasons

what if some superstar player can be had next season but we've tied our money up on a guy who maybe wasn't quite worth it???

I don't know if Hagan's decision was right or wrong but he clearly decided deano wasn't part of his future plans .... so be it

Well we did sign up Lowrie and Finch. I would hazard a guess and say that would be around the same amount as we could have spent on Widders. So really we wouldn't have been any worse off in terms of money.

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
Well we did sign up Lowrie and Finch. I would hazard a guess and say that would be around the same amount as we could have spent on Widders. So really we wouldn't have been any worse off in terms of money.

so I take it Widders would of been your five-eight had we re-signed him??

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:
so I take it Widders would of been your five-eight had we re-signed him??

I wouldn't have minded him at five eighth or on the bench. It's not like finch is a regular five eighth either.

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
I wouldn't have minded him at five eighth or on the bench. It's not like finch is a regular five eighth either.

according to Ricky???...gee he's done wonders to the careers of many players this year hasn't he??

Finch is a genuine playmaker and can play for 80, I would be more comfortable with him there for 80 minutes than i would if Deano was there.

strider

Post Whore
yeah - i know finch isn't particularly well liked - but maybe he can keep his head in check and be quite decent for us .... as eela said - we did need a 5/8 more than a backrower/part-time back

i'm disappointed deano is leaving but in a way i can understand why .... its like when andrew ryan left - a player who can be good but had been a bit out of form and maybe wasn't a necessity .... if deano can go on to do what bobcat has done post-parra then good luck to him

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:
according to Ricky???...gee he's done wonders to the careers of many players this year hasn't he??

Finch is a genuine playmaker and can play for 80, I would be more comfortable with him there for 80 minutes than i would if Deano was there.

Where did he play at the Raiders?

strider

Post Whore
i'd call finch a halfback also ... but many players can play either .... the role is more a 2nd organiser/kicker/playmaker these days

given that we have timmy already, I wouldn't have said finch would be a top priority, but the free agent cupboards are bare this year and he may prove to be a decent buy

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:
Finch??..from memory halfback, why?

So really he would be playing out of position wouldn't he?

Although I looked it up and it appears he did play a few games for the Raiders at five eighth with Monaghan at half. He also played five eighth for the Roosters for a few games and that didn't go too well but Soward who was halfback as since also been dropped.

The Colonel

Immortal
Played most of his games at halfback in Canberra mainly because of that laurie Daleyy fellow. They were grooming him to play 5/8 when Lozza left.

caylo

Bench
monas isnt a 5-8 either, i think finch has more talent than he does. hill, well he is old, but a good player. he is a running 5-8 and does do well with a dominate halfback, although he does demand the ball and has a lot of skill. im not sure who is better between, finchy could come good, i would have prefered hill to be honest though. finch has always done better with a more dominate player nest to him, daley, fittler. so he may do well with timmy... onlyu time will tell

The Colonel

Immortal
Buns decision based on challenge, says Widders

Back rower Dean Widders made the decision to leave the Parramatta Eels at the end this season and head to the South Sydney Rabbitohs because he felt it was time to give himself a new challenge.
Widders has made his name as an impact player at the Eels, coming of the bench to great effect, but he now wants to see if he can establish himself as a starting player and he believes he make that happen at the Rabbitohs.

"My career probably needs a bit of a challenge at the moment," Widders said on NRL on Fox. "And I've been coming off the bench for a while and I really want to prove myself next year as a starting player or a player that can play a lot of time on the football field.

"I think Souths with their attitude to what they're going through at the moment and what their plans are for the future they're a club that's got a challenge as well. I think it will be exciting to be a part of that and that will help me get the boost that I need to take my game to the next level."

Widders makes the move to South Sydney along with team mate Jeremy Smith and Parramatta's interim coach Jason Taylor, who will be assistant coach to Shaun McRae.

Widders is one of a number of big signings for the Rabbitohs, along with Nigel Vagana, Roy Asotasi and David Kidwell.

Souths yesterday issued a list of their contracted players for 2007
http://www.souths.com.au/fanzone/viewnewsarticle.asp?ArticleID=1624

http://www.ozleague.com/news_articl....asp&ngref=http://www.oztips.com/yourtips.asp

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
So really he would be playing out of position wouldn't he?

Although I looked it up and it appears he did play a few games for the Raiders at five eighth with Monaghan at half. He also played five eighth for the Roosters for a few games and that didn't go too well but Soward who was halfback as since also been dropped.

five-eight definitely wouldn't be alien to Finch.

lucablight

First Grade
The Colonel said:
Buns decision based on challenge, says Widders

Back rower Dean Widders made the decision to leave the Parramatta Eels at the end this season and head to the South Sydney Rabbitohs because he felt it was time to give himself a new challenge.
Widders has made his name as an impact player at the Eels, coming of the bench to great effect, but he now wants to see if he can establish himself as a starting player and he believes he make that happen at the Rabbitohs.

"My career probably needs a bit of a challenge at the moment," Widders said on NRL on Fox. "And I've been coming off the bench for a while and I really want to prove myself next year as a starting player or a player that can play a lot of time on the football field.

"I think Souths with their attitude to what they're going through at the moment and what their plans are for the future they're a club that's got a challenge as well. I think it will be exciting to be a part of that and that will help me get the boost that I need to take my game to the next level."

Widders makes the move to South Sydney along with team mate Jeremy Smith and Parramatta's interim coach Jason Taylor, who will be assistant coach to Shaun McRae.

Widders is one of a number of big signings for the Rabbitohs, along with Nigel Vagana, Roy Asotasi and David Kidwell.

Souths yesterday issued a list of their contracted players for 2007
http://www.souths.com.au/fanzone/viewnewsarticle.asp?ArticleID=1624

http://www.ozleague.com/news_article.asp?id=51333&ngref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eoztips%2Ecom%2Fyourtips%2Easp&ngref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eoztips%2Ecom%2Fyourtips%2Easp

If that's the case then good luck to him.

Latest posts