What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Widders

THE BUNGLER

Juniors
Rumours over here in the UK, is that Dean Widders his signing for the Castleford Tigers.

Anyone heard anything about this?

What should we Cas fans expect from Dean, if true?

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I still think Widders has plenty to offer, even though he is currently out of sorts. He has been labelled a "super-sub" here playing off the bench for impact, but I think this has ultimately hamstrung him. Everytime he touched he ball he was trying to do too much and oppositions knew he wasn't going to pass. He became predictable. If he does go to the UK, I wish he every success.

MattJ

Juniors
I think his charity work and family might make him hesitant to leave as both are very important to him.
He was very dissapointing for us earlier this season, someone i hoped would be a leader in our club.

MattJ

Juniors
Just read over at the pride he is going to England, deal is done.
3 years according to pride poster.

Dean Widders Heading to Castleford

01 Aug 2008

WiddersCastlefordDetail-4c19b23e-9556-4acd-86bc-381d6f01060a.jpg
The South Sydney Football Club has released Dean Widders from the final year of his playing contract today to allow him to take up a position with UK Super League Club Castleford.

Widders has agreed to a three-year deal with Castleford starting in the 2009 season.

“Dean is one of the game’s true gentlemen, a hard-working community hero and a fine footballer. We wish him the best of luck at Castleford,” Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson said.

Widders has played 159 NRL games throughout his career including 34 for the Rabbitohs since joining the Club in 2007.

Widders to Practise His Magic in England
deanwidders_narrowweb__300x474,0.jpg

Widders to practise his magic in England
Daniel Lane | August 3, 2008

South Sydney forward Dean Widders is expected to help develop English rugby league when he links up with Super League club Castleford.

Widders will play out his contract with the Rabbitohs before starting a three-year deal with the Tigers. And the English club also hopes he can be as positive an influence for them off the field as he's been at Souths.

"We're aware of all the good things Dean has done at Souths with kids in the Redfern area," Castleford football manager Mick Robinson said.

"I understand he is helping to develop the South Sydney academy for elite juniors, and that is exactly the type of project we'd like to involve Dean in over here.

"A reason we targeted him is, apart from his obvious talent, he is also a great advertisement for the quality of person who plays league. He can have an enormous influence on young people in this city.

"And we intend to use his knowledge on such things as rugby league development to help take the standard of our junior football to another level. It's a win-win for Castleford."

Widders, a veteran of 159 NRL games, was released by the Rabbitohs to accept "an attractive" offer to join the exodus of Australians and New Zealanders to England.

Castleford, without the wealth of powerhouses such as St Helens, Leeds and Wigan, were still able to buy the likes of former NRL players Brent Sherwin, Michael Korkidas, Awen Guttenbeil, Ryan McGoldrick, Mitchell Sargent and Ned Catic. They had also considered Steve Menzies.

Releasing Widders, who has been playing for Souths' feeder club Norths, would've been a tough call for Rabbitohs owner Russell Crowe, who declared his "love" for the boy from Armidale during last year's ground-breaking documentary on the club, Southside Story.

"Dean is one of the game's true gentlemen, a hard-working community hero and a fine footballer," Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson said. "We wish him the best of luck at Castleford."

Robinson, who managed the 1998 Australian Aborigines side that Widders made at just 16, said the club had completed its recruitment from the NRL ranks - for now.

Latest posts