What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Young

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Dont think his tenure as interim coach has done him any good at all. He doesn't appear to have learnt from game to game and it is just if Mcmuppett is still the coach but overseas and Dean is doing exactly what Mary wants. The good that has come about is for the club, we have dodged a mighty bullet.He has talked the talk but hasn't walked the walk.His continual bagging of the players can only last long enough before he must take some of the responsibility himself.

He needs to learn a hellava lot obviously and i hope that it isn't a given that he will end up here again as i'm not confident that he has a good coach in him.

Contrast what Young has done with the Dragons and the difference that Todd Payten has made to the Warriors- he may not have a great win loss ratio but he instilled discipline and pride in the team so that they're competitive against every team they play- and like Holbrook has done with the Titans, set them up for better 2021. I fear it may take years-certainly beyond Hook's tenure- for a Dragons forward pack comparable with 2010 to be put together from the current stumbling, bumbling lot.

Mjab

Juniors
God help the cowboys defence if hes going to be responsible for that , or in fact anything he is given to do up there
They will regret him

they would have been better off matching up Payton with an experienced and well credentialled assistant

BLM01

First Grade
Contrast what Young has done with the Dragons and the difference that Todd Payten has made to the Warriors- he may not have a great win loss ratio but he instilled discipline and pride in the team so that they're competitive against every team they play- and like Holbrook has done with the Titans, set them up for better 2021. I fear it may take years-certainly beyond Hook's tenure- for a Dragons forward pack comparable with 2010 to be put together from the current stumbling, bumbling lot.
Why is everyone assuming Hooks tenure will be short
If he improves us and we start to look and play like a Top 8 regular genuine side and better.... why change

Bob

Juniors
Gotta love kids

NRL 2020: Dapto under 8s respond after Dean Young’s Dragons sledge
Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
September 22, 2020 7:44am

Coach Dean Young said after St George Illawarra’s capitulation to Newcastle on Sunday that his side would struggle to beat the Dapto under-8s — and guess who agrees.

“We could beat them, they are playing bad,’’ Dapto under-8s’ Cory Featherstone said.

His teammate Crue Bradica explained why.

“We get to dummy half every time and we share the ball around,’’ Bradica said. “Everyone on our team goes hard and we tackle around the legs. We’re the best Dapto team.”

And the man who coaches the young Canaries backed the pair up when asked which was the better team.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/0ad3957f3a5774c97ee67d2bebb5d8be

similars

3bf3292e4ec1b6294e7b3f3524a6ba6f

The Dapto under 8's have backed their side to beat the Dragons at the moment. Picture: Richard Dobson
“Dapto for sure the way the Dragons played on Sunday,” Joel Bradica said. “I would be (angry) too (like Young) if I was a Dragons fan.”

The Dragons trailed the Knights 30-6 at halftime on Sunday and eventually lost 42-18.

A clearly frustrated Young didn’t hold back.

We wouldn’t have beaten Dapto today the way we played in the first half,’’ the former Dapto junior said. “It was just under-8s stuff.”

The Dapto under-8s are too young to have formal positions just yet but some are showing certain talents.

d37046e65514e19ff9e6df62a8550372

The Dragons surrendered 30 first-half points to the Knights in their loss to Newcastle. Sunday.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Dean Young leaving Saints will be the best move for his career. If he comes back he will be a much better coach than he is now as he needs to get out of the Saints system and look at others especially being part of a really poor McGregor system. It would have been perfect if he took Ryles spot at the Storm as Ryles is moving on from memory.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I know exactly where your coming from Henry . When I was a 1st year apprentice the fitter that I was working with told me to go to the tool store and ask for a long weight .

So being a conscientious young fellow of 15 I done just that . Well 4 years later the same fitter came down to the tool store and said that my wait was over and I was now a fully qualified fitter and machinist ! :flushed:
Yes mate I was the victim of many pranks myself....unfortunately the true fitter and machinists are long gone to a point......its all mostly automated on lathes these days...I was the last of the 5 year apprenticeship....how can I forget......my first year I earnt £4 eighteen and sixpence a week then in my 2nd year it rocketed to £5 two and thrupence, a pay rise of 4 shillings a week.....jeez I was spoilt......and to think blokes like Hunt and Norman are supposibly on 2 mill a year betwen them.....sort of puts life in perspective doesnt it

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
What is wrong with the world today? You have graduates in the workforce with one years experience thinking they should be MD and here you have Dean Young thinking he should have been appointed the dragons coach. Call me old school but WTF is it with these sense of entitlement generations?
Unfortunately Henry its the way of the world these days....most of the younger generation (not all) dont know any different .....if you mention 17.5% interest rates on home loans like we had they just look at you and even then it doesnt register

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes mate I was the victim of many pranks myself....unfortunately the true fitter and machinists are long gone to a point......its all mostly automated on lathes these days...I was the last of the 5 year apprenticeship....how can I forget......my first year I earnt £4 eighteen and sixpence a week then in my 2nd year it rocketed to £5 two and thrupence, a pay rise of 4 shillings a week.....jeez I was spoilt......and to think blokes like Hunt and Norman are supposibly on 2 mill a year betwen them.....sort of puts life in perspective doesnt it

Well and here I was believing that I was the last of the Mohicans , but there is another Pounds , Shillings and Pence man . The first year pay of my apprenticeship was also in Pounds however by the time the 2nd had arrived decimal currency had made its appearance and my pay was I believe $ 12 per week - a princely sum in any mans language !

Amazing just how far that went in those years as I still managed to save a few dollars each week . But as you have said B.S.Eyes the unholy amounts that players ( in any sports ) are payed nowadays is simply mind boggling to people from our era .

I wonder just how much of those vast sums are actually put away by the players or do they merely go out and spend big on what ever catches their eye ? I believe that at the time the largest amount on offer in a lottery was the Opera House Lottery which from memory was £100,000 .

But thanks for the memories BSEyes it took me back to my youth of 15 and those early , early morning wake-ups at about 4.30 . to go out into the ‘ big wide world ‘ alone for the first time and the many wonderful times of my F&M apprenticeship.

Last edited: