What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decision 2011

Martli

Coach
Difference being Ricky Herbet isn't on a time frame that is as limited as Manu, or any other league player for that matter. Manu has maybe 6 or 7 years left in him as a professional rugby league player. Especially with his injury record. Those 6 or 7 years will be the most money he'll make in his life if he plays his cards right. Means he can spend the rest of his life doing stuff he loves for a modest pay. Ricky has a lot less to lose by sticking with the All Whites and could still eventually move on to something bigger.

Iafeta

Referee
I don't necessarily agree with that Martli. Maybe in rugby league circles that might be a fair call, not so in football. Football administrators are notoriously fickle and short-minded. It only takes 6 months of under-performance before the ever-fatal "He has the board's full support" comes out. The problem is, if you get sacked from a club like Wellington which is in one of the poorer leagues around the globe, there's not many financial avenues for him to explore. In football, people forget very quickly the good times but are unbelievably quick to remember the painful times. The issue for Herbert now is there is an expectation mandated against Wellington's A-League performance, whereas before it was patience and guile to set the foundations.

As for Manu, I believe we'll keep him, if we're astute in salary cap management. If the radio sport story holds credence and Matai is coming to the Warriors, lets call it quits in our recruitment at that point. They are talking about props, but we should resign Royal for another year (he's probably more consistent and reliable than most of the props names that have bandied around anyhow, plus his value won't be high as he's keen for another shot)... this would leave us with a propping 'stock' of Rapira, Packer, Royal, Matulino, Latimore, Poching and I dare say Mark Ioane who is enormously impressive in the 20s. Plus, we should keep faith in the 20s in that it seems we have a good production line of props that come through that team. That way we have money to upgrade Maloney, resign Vatuvei, and keep our other young bucks as well. Essentially, they've talked a good talk about this being a development club, if that's the case, surely the days of the likes of Tony Martin, Toddy Byrne etc, who are good players but lack the X factor are done with, and we can ensure we keep our best.

scottttt

Juniors
I agree they can't lose manu. There's a few players who should really get topped up and retained as Iafeta, the likes of Brown, Ta'ai and Maloney all should be in for upgrades.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
I have no issues with Brownie, but he is a player manager and it is his role to obtain the best possible deal for his product (and thus himself).

If he can get Manu a gig somewhere for more money than the Warriors are offering then it would be sayonara baby.....simple really.

i have to be loyal to a good tat man...but pete is certainly a man after himself. if there is money to be made for himself, he will certainly push all he can to get it regardless of who he puts offside.
certainly a different breed to his brother.

what ever

Juniors
He has said, if the money is right, he will sign otherwise he will test the market for his value, so money talks. He is thinking of his family. The warriors should give him Price pay to keep him in Auck. He should be one of those One club players for life until they retire. But again, who has the most money will always win. Of course his agent will want a big cut as well. SIGN HIM UP WARRIORS

I think with the new salary cap rules next season they will favour us to keep Manu. The marque payments (i think) go up to $300.000 + a more increase in the long service payment for a player.

Add that and the fact we will have some $$$$ available and Manu is a home boy there is no need to panic that he will leave.

I dont reckon any winger is worth $400k but Manu sure is, so the ball is in our court. Just hope is doesnt get dragged out for 6 months like the Inglis, Thirston Benji deals. Get it done and dusted soon.

Manu
Hohaia
Mannering
Ropati

They are my list for the long service players in that order

tkr

Juniors
Difference being Ricky Herbet isn't on a time frame that is as limited as Manu, or any other league player for that matter. Manu has maybe 6 or 7 years left in him as a professional rugby league player. Especially with his injury record. Those 6 or 7 years will be the most money he'll make in his life if he plays his cards right. Means he can spend the rest of his life doing stuff he loves for a modest pay. Ricky has a lot less to lose by sticking with the All Whites and could still eventually move on to something bigger.

So league players can't do anything past 32? What about 'normal' people who get injured at work and have to retrain? Lots of people go through job changes and get on with life. This is the most overused excuse in the game.
I hope the Warriors give him a fair deal but one player can not win the comp by himself.

Martli

Coach
So league players can't do anything past 32? What about 'normal' people who get injured at work and have to retrain? Lots of people go through job changes and get on with life. This is the most overused excuse in the game.
I hope the Warriors give him a fair deal but one player can not win the comp by himself.

He's not going to make 400k + a year once he's done playing league though is he? That's what i'm saying here, he has massive earning potential over these next few years which he'll never see again. I'm not saying he's not going to be able to get a job after league, I'm just saying the ones he will get probably won't pay as much. That being said, I think if the warriors play their cards right he should get a decent offer.