What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decreasing size of Schooner glasses

woodgers

Bench
I disagree with both of you to an extend.

It is all about individual taste. For me, a super cold Carlton, Melbourne, VB, XXXX (bitter, I can't do Gold) and most Australia beers etc are my favourites. You can pay extra for things like Stella, Carlsberg, Corona....the list goes on but most of them are super sweet and I rarely pick them over the 'Aussie' beers. When I have had relatives from England they have really enjoyed Aussie beers and over Christmas a case of Carlton was comsumed on a daily basis, they couldn't speak more highly and wanted it back home (along with Boags which because a favourite in Tas).

For me, if I am watching footy or want something for example to have after I mow the lawn, you couldn't pay me to pick a Kronenberg over a VB although at a work function I would never pick a VB over a Kronenberg....it is also about the situation for beers as well

Raider Azz

Bench
it is all about personal taste really... i am pretty much the complete opposite of woodgers where i prefer the "sweeter" beers like corona, stella or miller, and can't stand a bitter like VB. true about the situation for a beer though, you're not going to drink tooheys red when you're at the work xmas party and theres a bar tab, however if i am sitting down to watch the footy with a few mates and we only have a couple of bucks to spend then ill happily get a case of reds and down the lot.

I too prefer stuff like Carlsberg, Stella and Corona's, but fact is they can burn a whole in the wallet, especially at bars/clubs.
For footy, local stuff like Carlton is just fine. Although I am not a fan of the Melbourne Bitter or VB at all.....
Apperently Coronas are cheap as in Mexico... Does that mean they are just exporting their version of VB and keepign the good stuff for themselves :?

Raider Azz

Bench
coronas in mexico are akin to fosters in australia, no one over there drinks it, but it is a huge export.

Raider Azz

Bench
agree with you there ultra, i think the reason fosters gets such a bad rap is because people don't see it as an "australian" beer anymore.

Poida_Raider

Bench
hrundi99 said:
Most Sydney "change on the plate" pubs suffer from the same problem.

haha, yeah what the f**k is the go with the change on a plate?? it just makes the whole process more time consuming. ie. instead of the bartender placing the change in your hand, and you puttin it in your pocket or wallet, they put it in the bloody plate and place it on the bar. you then have to tip that into your hand and so on..

i really dont get what its about? obviously i dont see it at all out here in the country but see it going into sydney, brisbane, goldcoast etc whenever i do.

can someone explain this whole change plate situation??

hrundi99

First Grade
Raider Ultra said:
Not a snob, just been to enough places to realise that we're served crap in Australia that is served blisteringly cold to disguise it's inadequacy. Plus I don't mind ales, very few of which come from Australia. Gold is the worst of the lot, tastes like crap and isn't even full strength.

I've been to North and South America, Europe and Asia and I've learned that good beer comes in all recipes and flavours.

Have you tried Boags St George? Nice with a barbie, with a citrus aftertaste. Gold is a good summer easy-drinker as well. It's horses for courses, except VB.

If you haven't been to the Belgian Beer Cafe in The Rocks I'd recommend a trip. A great selection of very different beers, though don't forget to take your wallet with you, and a small loan.

woodgers

Bench
If we play at WIN Stadium in Wollongong against the Saints then I am keen to go just for the micro brewery under the stand. They made some really awesome beers and were in the process of trying to get the licence to bottle it.

Do we play the Saints there this year and would everyone be keen to all meet up a few hours before PL and do a right little number on our livers at the brewery?

hrundi99

First Grade
woodgers said:
If we play at WIN Stadium in Wollongong against the Saints then I am keen to go just for the micro brewery under the stand. They made some really awesome beers and were in the process of trying to get the licence to bottle it.

Do we play the Saints there this year and would everyone be keen to all meet up a few hours before PL and do a right little number on our livers at the brewery?

We're only playing them once this season, in Canberra.

woodgers

Bench
H, when I went for a look in April it looked like an old style stadium but had newer stands that stuck out like Dogs bollocks. Having said that it didn't appear to have a bad seat in the ground and I like the fact that there is a hill spanning the length of the sideline with the view behind you nothing but ocean until NZ or Hawaii.

It is agreed then. Next time they play there all the beer lovers have to cash up and go there beforehand. My only concern is drinking a nice Witbeer then going inside to have a Tooheys new or something.

I think in the brewery it cost me about $8 - $10 to sample 4 300ml beers. It sounds expensive but I can tell you I would pay it again in a heartbeat. They were all bloody nice.