What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delaney given chance to star in pivotal role for Eels - SMH

Morenito

Juniors
Delaney given chance to star in pivotal role for Eels
February 8, 2006

BRETT Delaney, last season's two-game rookie in the centres, has the inside running to start the season at five-eighth for Parramatta after being named to play there in a trial on Saturday.

Eels coach Brian Smith last night said Delaney was not a makeshift selection in the key role for the game against Melbourne in Ballina.

John Morris, last year's regular five-eighth for Parramatta, is likely to miss the start of the season as he continues his recovery from a pectoral injury, meaning Smith has to establish a serious alternative during the pre-season.

He has given Delaney first shot in a team that is a mix of experienced first-graders and promising youngsters. "We thought Brett was terrific in his two games in the centres last season and his development has continued during the off-season," Smith said.

"I'm really excited about his potential, but it would obviously be hard for him to break through on a regular basis in the centres with Ben Smith and Timana Tahu there, so we're going to give him a shot at five-eighth while John Morris is out.

"What happens in the long term will depend on how Brett goes and how John goes when he is fit again, but competition never hurt anyone. Brett's got a junior background at five-eighth and lock and I'm pretty confident he'll handle it. I'm going to give [forward] Dean Widders a go at five-eighth during the trials as well."

Smith is preparing for his 10th and final season with the Eels. The club made a decision during the off-season to try a new coach after Smith's contract runs out at the end of this year and subsequently appointed current Newcastle coach Michael Hagan to succeed him.

Smith had not spoken publicly since last season ended and when asked if he was prepared to discuss Parramatta's decision, he made clear his preference to simply get on with the job.

"I'm happy to talk to anyone who wants to ring me to talk about footy," Smith said. "I'm not interested in talking about individuals, including myself."
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/delaney-given-chance-to-star-in-pivotal-role-for-eels/2006/02/07/1139074229516.html

Looks like Morris is will definetly not be ready for Round 1 and Delaney may be the number 6 come March 11.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think Brett will do a great job played alot of junior football at five-eight/lock so he's used to being a second receiver at either side of the ruck.

strider

Post Whore
Smith had not spoken publicly since last season ended and when asked if he was prepared to discuss Parramatta's decision, he made clear his preference to simply get on with the job.

"I'm happy to talk to anyone who wants to ring me to talk about footy," Smith said. "I'm not interested in talking about individuals, including myself."

oh goody - we should all feel free to call him every day this season to discuss team selections, injuries, tactices, etc etc :lol: :lol:

Hellsy

Immortal
Go Brett :clap: :clap: gonna be very exciting to watch him play on Sat nite!! :lol:
I can't wait!!!

PB

Bench
eelavation said:
I think Brett will do a great job played alot of junior football at five-eight/lock so he's used to being a second receiver at either side of the ruck.

We often split our half/5/8th either side don't we (i am sure Johnny recieved it first off plenty of times)? So he will be getting it first off the ruck quite regularly.

Good luck to him. Last year Tim Smith probably wasn't the coaches first choice half going into the trials, if Delaney can prove himself in the same way then we may be in good shape.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
does Delaney have a kicking game, he hasn't kicked in any of the games that I ahve seen him play, wihch hasn't been many

Utey

Coach
Played centre so it really hasnt been necessary. I havent either. Has a big boot on him it seems.

Stagger eel

Staff member
PB said:
We often split our half/5/8th either side don't we (i am sure Johnny recieved it first off plenty of times)? So he will be getting it first off the ruck quite regularly.

Good luck to him. Last year Tim Smith probably wasn't the coaches first choice half going into the trials, if Delaney can prove himself in the same way then we may be in good shape.

yeah, Bretts not a natural first receiver, therefore I would imagine that Timmy will get quite a work out in attack until young Keating comes on. Brett can probably do the job ok but I haven't seen him play much five-eight in PL.

strider

Post Whore
I think our tactics should be to play a prop first receiver who can tehn pass to Brett at 2nd - seems the only logical solution :D

;-)

PB

Bench
I heard one day Corey was sitting at home and on the radio they were announcing the Australian side. When he heard Brad Fittler had been named at 5/8th, he immediately rang his parents to tell them the news he had been selected for Australia!

He had some serious identity issues did Corey...:D

MONY

Juniors
In all honesty is this Brett Delaney any good...... you guys still have a very capable side against us... Storm by 8 I reckon :)

strider

Post Whore
Jake the snake said:
He would be more of a running 5/8. I can't see him doing alot of cut out passes etc

Well they have Waggy off the bench for that razzle dazzle ... seriously!! - there is proof.

strider

Post Whore
MONY said:
In all honesty is this Brett Delaney any good...... you guys still have a very capable side against us... Storm by 8 I reckon :)

No, he sucks .... u'll do us by 40.

:^o

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
MONY said:

just let us know which side Walker is defending on,

the rest should be pretty easy :D

Stagger eel

Staff member
strider said:
Well they have Waggy off the bench for that razzle dazzle ... seriously!! - there is proof.

I've only seen evidence of that on a dance floor at the Harold park hotel late 1 saturday evening.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
that's what trials are for

there are a few other options on the bench, so I'd asy they'll all get a go at some stage