What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depth

I saw mentioned in another threas that we will struggle with depth this year. I totally disagree.
We have great depth particulary in the forwards:

FB: Reddy, Burt, Hayne, even Lett

WG: Grothe, Hayne, Burt, Tahu, Reddy, Inu

CE: Tahu, Smith, Inu, Reddy (NO!)

5/8: Finch, Green, Wagon, Marsh, Mateo

1/2: Smith, Marsh, Green, Finch

HK: Riddell, Marsh, Keating

PR: Cayless, Moimoi, Fa'aoso, Cannings, Tsolous, Cordoba, Paulo

SR: Hindmarsh, Robinson, Mateo, Hindmarsh, Taia, Lowrie, Wagon, Riddell

LK: Robinson, Mateo, Wagon, Lowrie, Taia

Gronk

Staff member
I fear that Reddy will be come 2007's Ash Graham. His "versatility" at FB, W & C will have him selected over other kids who might deserve a go at the top.

strider

Post Whore
well yeah we have players who can cover multiple positions, but if you wanna see how its going to be when an injury strikes, you can't list players in multiple positions .... make a list of ONLY the backup players (cos the regulars WILL be on the field in another position) ...

Given the current 17 + Fuifui as he's a regular - apart from them, these are our likely backups ... bold ones have 1st grade experience

FB, W, C: Reddy, Inu, Lett
Halves: Green, Maloney
Backrow: Lowrie, Taia, Fa'aoso, Weller H, Oake
Frontrow: Tsoulos, Paulo, Wood
Hooker: Keating

Our backs are VERY inexperienced ... backrow seems fairly well covered, but thats probably the place we need the depth the least :lol:

bartman

Immortal
I think we've got as much depth as other teams, it's all the one salary cap and your top 25 players can only go so far. We're a known junior nursery and beyond the top 25 may be better served than a lot of clubs.

In CAPITALS are our top 25 earners (salary cap), followed by the players named in the full-time squad (website profiles).

Full back: BURT, (HAYNE), (REDDY), Lett
Wing: GROTHE, HAYNE, REDDY, (BURT), (Inu)
Centre: TAHU, SMITH B, (REDDY), Inu
Five Eighth: FINCH, GREEN, (WAGON), (MATEO)
Half: SMITH T, (FINCH), (MARSH)
Prop: CAYLESS, MOIMOI, CORDOBA, CANNINGS, TSOULOS, FA'AOSO, (OAKE), Paulo
Hooker: RIDDELL, MARSH, (FINCH/SMITH?)
Second Row/Lock: HINDMARSH N, ROBINSON, WAGON, HINDMARSH I, MATEO, LOWRIE, TAIA, (FA'AOSO), OAKE, Hauraki, (Paulo)

There's a lot of depth there. A few key injuries always test any side, I can see Matt Keating and James Maloney maybe also coming into contention at some point if we have a few injuries amongst our halves and hooking options.

strider

Post Whore
i still don't think we are as deep as we were - good coverage yes (players who can play multiple positions), but i reckon depth would be tested big time if we got 4 or 5 injuries - and 4 or 5 injuries is not unlikely

maybe it is the salary cap/extra team and the talent is just well spread now in the NRL with no team having much depth

Stagger eel

Staff member
join the bandwagon said:
where will he be playing when the u 20 comp is introduced?

it's a good question jtb, no one really knows..

it appears that the pl comp will be replaced by a new revamped Jim Beam Cup and the players over the age of 20 will be playing in the competition, Parra will have atleast 1 feeder club participating and that could be any 1 of 4 clubs in the district currently playing in the competition. there's also a possability that they may use all 4 clubs to field players.

those clubs are Seven Hills, Wentworthville, Cabramatta and MT Pritchard with Guildford expressing and interest to also participate,

watch this space, we could hear more about in a month or 2.

bartman

Immortal
strider said:
i still don't think we are as deep as we were - good coverage yes (players who can play multiple positions), but i reckon depth would be tested big time if we got 4 or 5 injuries - and 4 or 5 injuries is not unlikely

maybe it is the salary cap/extra team and the talent is just well spread now in the NRL with no team having much depth
We aren't as deep as last year, as a man to man comparison would show with some talented guys now playing elsewhere. But I think we're as strong as most teams, and the salary cap and incremental contract payments probably means we have to take a cut (relative to ourselves) every now and then.

But by reports there's some good young kids coming through, and this time next year with the same team - except maybe with a new forward for Tahu - we could be loving the depth the current guys provide?

eelz47

Coach
strider said:
well yeah we have players who can cover multiple positions, but if you wanna see how its going to be when an injury strikes, you can't list players in multiple positions .... make a list of ONLY the backup players (cos the regulars WILL be on the field in another position) ...

Given the current 17 + Fuifui as he's a regular - apart from them, these are our likely backups ... bold ones have 1st grade experience

FB, W, C: Reddy, Inu, Lett
Halves: Green, Maloney
Backrow: Lowrie, Taia, Fa'aoso, Weller H, Oake
Frontrow: Tsoulos, Paulo, Wood
Hooker: Keating

Our backs are VERY inexperienced ... backrow seems fairly well covered, but thats probably the place we need the depth the least :lol:

i dont believe you left out..........................

Josh Davis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the prems / jim beam cup thing is gunna be:crazy:

sooperdooper

First Grade
why are ppl bagging reddy? he is doing just fine! there are others whom have not performed yet he gets criticised.... i dont see why!
its not him choosing to play wing or centre its the coach! i beleive reddy is a very good FB

strider

Post Whore
eelz47 said:
i dont believe you left out..........................

Josh Davis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the prems / jim beam cup thing is gunna be:crazy:

who's josh davis?

:D

Stagger eel

Staff member
sooperdooper said:
why are ppl bagging reddy? he is doing just fine! there are others whom have not performed yet he gets criticised.... i dont see why!
its not him choosing to play wing or centre its the coach! i beleive reddy is a very good FB

pose that question to MR T, he believes he offers nothing..

eloquentEEL

First Grade
All 5 grades pulling off good victories after having 4 of the top 17 missing and having a flow-on effect, disrupting and testing depth in each of the lower grades, I think this is a pretty good argument that there isn't too much of a problem with depth.

strider

Post Whore
mmmm - our guys who got call ups did really well today - did play one of the weaker clubs tho .... canberra's NRL team is like a PL team with all their kids, I can't imagine what their PL and flegg teams are like :lol: (altho they have generally been pretty good in flegg i think)

Eelectrica

Referee
eloquentEEL said:
All 5 grades pulling off good victories after having 4 of the top 17 missing and having a flow-on effect, disrupting and testing depth in each of the lower grades, I think this is a pretty good argument that there isn't too much of a problem with depth.
Agreed. I'll admit I freaked out a bit when it was announced Caylo was out.