What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Des dirty on decoy decision

gong_eagle

First Grade
Des dirty on decoy decision

Steve Kilgallon in Auckland | August 27, 2007

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhq...1188066926429.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
MANLY coach Des Hasler strode purposefully into the press conference after yesterday's loss to the Warriors muttering: "This is going to be a beauty ... shame we're not going to be talking about football."
Video referee Chris Ward's denial of a try to Michael Robertson in the 49th minute was the only focus of Hasler's media conference. He delivered a long tirade on Ward's ruling that decoy runner Anthony Watmough had obstructed Warriors defenders Michael Witt and Logan Swann - despite running almost untouched through the defensive line.
Had Ward awarded the try, Manly would have taken led 14-12 with a conversion to come. Instead, Warriors hooker George Gatis scored within four minutes to steady the home team's nerves and take an 18-10 lead.
"I am almost embarrassed for [referees' boss] Robert Finch because now there is clearly some confusion in the NRL ranks of officials," Hasler began. "[The decision] was clearly a momentum-turner for us, and I have got no idea as to what the NRL official has disallowed that try for. No one was obstructed, no one was touched, the decoy runners went through.
"That's a shame, because we are going into a semi-final series, and that decision turned that match."
Captain Matt Orford added that Manly had secured no "dominant" or "surrender" calls at the ruck in their favour from referee Paul Simpkins. After the skipper and referee had a lengthy exchange of views in the fourth minute as Witt kicked the Warriors 2-0 ahead, Orford said Simpkins "brushed me off ... didn't want to talk to me again".
Even the Warriors felt they were fortunate to have Robertson's try attempt denied. "It was a 50-50 call - good that one has gone our way," vice-captain Ruben Wiki said.
But Manly won't be writing out a $10,000 cheque. NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said Hasler had "chosen his words carefully".
The Warriors haven't been to a finals series since 2003, and plenty of the 25,000-plus crowd at Mt Smart Stadium yesterday probably haven't been to a game since those heady days.
The home side overcame an awkward start - the product of what coach Ivan Cleary suspected was "stage fright" - and ground out the win in what could turn out to be perfect finals preparation. At the very least, it keeps the Warriors in the hunt for a home semi-final.
As Wiki said: "We've still got heaps to improve on. We played pretty bad today, gave up a lot of ball and got away with it."
Three tries in the final 20 minutes produced the flattering 22-point victory margin.

Manly's first-half aggression and confidence were best captured by 22-year-old debutant winger Michael Bani, originally from the tiny Torres Strait island of Mabuiag and picked up last year after recruitment officer Noel Cleal watched a DVD of his exploits in the Bundaberg A-grade competition. One of the beneficiaries of Hasler's long and controversial injury list, Bani deserved his 15th-minute opening try, and Manly added a second from their other winger, Chris Hicks, to lead 10-2 before the Warriors hit back through Epalahame Lauaki and Wairangi Koopu to head Manly 12-10 at the break.
Manly still looked the better side until Ward's video nasty, but the Warriors rode the crowd through the final quarter to take control. Even when Jamie Lyon claimed Manly's only second-half score, the crowd was unperturbed, throwing out a Mexican wave.
In the sheds, the Warriors were treated to a victory haka by local schoolchildren, and could still enjoy one last hurrah here. If remaining results go to form and table position, they will finish fifth and travel to Parramatta in the opening game of the finals, but they can jump the Eels and enjoy a home final if they defeat the Panthers and Parramatta lose either of their last two games.
The Warriors won't know until Wednesday if Jerome Ropati will be fit for Saturday night's tricky trip to Penrith, after the centre dislocated his shoulder in the opening minute of the match.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Hasler - they got it wrong
By Steve Mascord

August 27, 2007 12:00am
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5001023,00.html
WARRIORS 36 SEA EAGLES 14

LIVID Manly coach Des Hasler visited the referees room three times and was involved in a heated debate with fourth official Chris Ward late yesterday after slamming one of his decisions as embarrassing.

On a tumultuous afternoon at sold-out Mt Smart Stadium, ground manager Ken Loza also asked a touch judge if he was offended by comments Hasler made in the tunnel at halftime as the Warriors romped to a 36-14 victory that secured them a finals berth.

As of last night, there were no plans by anyone involved to report the exchanges to the NRL despite rules that prohibit coaches from approaching match officials.

The drama began when Hasler read from prepared notes at the beginning of his post-match media conference, tearing into Ward for disallowing a 50th-minute try to winger Michael Robertson on an obstruction call.

"Clearly we didn't help ourselves, we shot ourselves in the foot a few times, but I am almost embarrassed for Robert Finch because there is obviously some clear confusion in the NRL ranks, the officialdom," Hasler said.

"A referees coach, Bill Harrigan, allows tries from shepherds.

"This ruling on the Manly no-try at 12-10 was clearly a momentum turner for us. I've got no idea why the NRL official would disallow that try. I think they just got it wrong.

"What worries me is we're going into a finals series. To me, that decision turned that match."

Dummy runner Anthony Watmough was ruled to have obstructed defenders Logan Swann and Michael Witt - even though neither of them actually collided with the Sea Eagle and Swann seemed to have a chance of tack- ling Robertson.

"There was an obstruction Matt Orford took the gap that was created by the dummy runner," Ward explained, shortly before Hasler headed towards the officials' dressing rooms.

When the Sea Eagles coach was told by The Daily Telegraph the referees were still in ice baths, he seemed to change his mind about going to the rooms.

But when Ward's comments were relayed to him, Hasler said, "Where is he?" and went to the sheds.

Hasler was with Ward for about four minutes. Those in the corridor outside could hear at least one raised voice, but Ward said afterwards: "We had a healthy, thorough discussion and I don't have any problem if that happens."

The fired-up coach then returned to his dressing rooms to tell his players - caned 10-3 in the penalties - what Ward had said, drawing imaginary obstruction diagrams on the walls.

He went back to the referees room for several minutes, left, then knocked on the door to make an- other point.

Asked to comment afterwards, he said: "It's just all over the shop out there at the moment . . . we somehow took the Warriors' defenders' space. I've got no idea what that means."

WARRIORS 36 (W Koopu 2, E Lauaki, G Gatis, S Mannering, M Vatuvei tries; M Witt 6 goals) MANLY 14 (M Bani, C Hicks, J Lyon tries; J Lyon goal) at Mt Smart Stadium. Referee: P Simpkins. Crowd: 25,070.

"There was an obstruction Matt Orford took the gap that was created by the dummy runner," Ward explained, shortly before Hasler headed towards the officials' dressing rooms.

Well hello! isnt a gap what a dummy runner is supposed to help create?

MarkW

Juniors
Hey, even the most diehard Warriors fans were amazed that wasn't a try.

Let's hope that's the last of those rubbish 'obstruction' calls we get in the NRL.

CharlieF

Juniors
Dummy Spit Johns said:

Well hello! isnt a gap what a dummy runner is supposed to help create?

IMO. there've lost the plot.

The Colonel

Immortal
Can't believe I am going to say this but Manly were dudded on that call. Titans run a similar play but use a forward into the gap rather than a back. Twice I have seen it used and both have gone to the video ref and been awarded tries - one on the weekend to Ian Donnelly.

Even the NZ Radio commentators couldn't understand how it wasn't awarded and they have to leave even Gray Freeman and Wayne Pearce behind when it comes to bias.

Huge momentum swing too considering the Warriors travel 90 metres and score.

Despite the huge forward pass for one of your tries at that point Manly were on top.

CharlieF

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Can't believe I am going to say this but Manly were dudded on that call. Titans run a similar play but use a forward into the gap rather than a back. Twice I have seen it used and both have gone to the video ref and been awarded tries - one on the weekend to Ian Donnelly.

Even the NZ Radio commentators couldn't understand how it wasn't awarded and they have to leave even Gray Freeman and Wayne Pearce behind when it comes to bias.

Huge momentum swing too considering the Warriors travel 90 metres and score.

Despite the huge forward pass for one of your tries at that point Manly were on top.

The game really meant nothing to Manly. The worrying thing though is that those descisions by a video referee, with the benefit of hindsight, can still get it wrong I hope he wasn't the video ref that gave the Jaryd Hayne try against Manly when Hindy ran through in front of Orford.

The Colonel

Immortal
Yes and no, momentum is a big thing to carry into the finals, even understrength beating the Warriors at home is a big boost.

But yes, its the same play. Not one video referee has the same interpretation of the obstruction rule as the next. As the referee co-ordinator and referee's boss Finch and Harrigan have much to answer for. Considering Harrigan ruled on the Hayne try then surely he can't be doing his job properly.

chileman

Coach
What I'm worried about is this rule has been so shady all season, imagine if it ends up killing off a team (not just Manly, any team that has earned the right to be in the semis) in the finals :? I've watched it over and over and still can't understand what the officials thinking was.....I don't blame Dessie (or any other coach for that matter) for being peeved off when the game was in the balance!

CharlieF

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Yes and no, momentum is a big thing to carry into the finals, even understrength beating the Warriors at home is a big boost.

But yes, its the same play. Not one video referee has the same interpretation of the obstruction rule as the next. As the referee co-ordinator and referee's boss Finch and Harrigan have much to answer for. Considering Harrigan ruled on the Hayne try then surely he can't be doing his job properly.

They let that no try decision go to their heads, and Manly lost any chance they may have had.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I finally got to see the play on television, rather than on the screens at the ground.

What a terrible, terrible decision. But teams that are good enough on the day manage to bounce back from those kinds of calls.

CharlieF said:
The game really meant nothing to Manly. The worrying thing though is that those descisions by a video referee, with the benefit of hindsight, can still get it wrong I hope he wasn't the video ref that gave the Jaryd Hayne try against Manly when Hindy ran through in front of Orford.
That was the referees coach Harrigan ffs.If he can't get it right what chances are the rest of the plebs.
What is the stupidest thing about it is the same play is awarded a try against Souths and this week is a penalty.:crazy:

Hasler calls for change to video refs

August 27, 2007 - 12:41PM

Manly coach Des Hasler has called for immediate changes to the NRL's use of video referees and wants more power handed back to the on-field whistleblowers.
Hasler remains upset at a crucial no-try ruling for obstruction by video referee Chris Ward in Sunday's loss to New Zealand Warriors, claiming referee Paul Simpkins wanted to award the try but was over-ruled after seeking clarification from the fourth official.
He claims there is too much inconsistency in the rulings between referees and video officials and wants the person with the whistle to be given total control.
The Sea Eagles coach wants the NRL to immediately investigate adopting an NFL-style video review system whereby the referee can watch replays of incidents on sideline monitors.
Hasler says the NRL could easily install monitors at both ends of the ground allowing referees to simply go behind the dead-ball line to view footage and make all the decisions regarding suspect tries.
"If the referee thinks he didn't see the bounce of the ball or hasn't got a clear view of the try let him go to the dead in goal or sideline and look at the viewing box and let him make the decision," said Hasler.
"It's quite easy and here's a chance for the NRL, (chief executive) David Gallop, to show some real initiative and investigate it.
"Let the referees do the same thing (as NFL) then it's all on his shoulders so to speak.
"There would be a lot more consistency and it would be a lot clearer."
Hasler is concerned that the continued inconsistency surrounding the obstruction rule, which was tweaked mid-season to reduce confusion, could prove costly in next month's finals series.
He says the NRL needs to immediately address the issues of referees prior to the playoffs.
"I don't know who is doing the coaching of the referees or who is coaching who but there is an inconsistency there I think anyway," said Hasler.
"They need to fix it and fix it quick because we have got some playoffs coming up in a couple of weeks time.
"Yesterday's result probably didn't mean much and won't change the competition ladder but in a couple of weeks there's a lot more at stake. They need to fix it and fix it quick."
© 2007 AAP

dikefalos

Juniors
Dr Crane said:
I finally got to see the play on television, rather than on the screens at the ground.

What a terrible, terrible decision. But teams that are good enough on the day manage to bounce back from those kinds of calls.

yes thats right but not when 30 seconds after that call menzies was ruled to have knocked on when clearly the ball was stripped. the fact is we got calls like that all day & were canned 10-3 in the penalties. those two incidents back to back were momentum killers & i knew there was no coming back. its strange but both souths & the warriors were backed heavily to win minus the start in both games & manly got sh#t calls in both. it was as if someone said manly dont need the points so lets make a killing. i am certain manly will get the rub of the green in the saints game & win bye a huge margin.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
This wont make you feel any better but this Warrior fan thinks you guys were robbed of a fair try. It pretty much sucks to be robbed of a fair try like that.
We've had several fair tries ruled out this season also and yes they have a big impact on a match.
Anyways catch you guys in the Finals.

CharlieF

Juniors
Sam_the_man said:
This wont make you feel any better but this Warrior fan thinks you guys were robbed of a fair try. It pretty much sucks to be robbed of a fair try like that.
We've had several fair tries ruled out this season also and yes they have a big impact on a match.
Anyways catch you guys in the Finals.

No worries!

Cletus

First Grade
It was such a beautiful try too, I'd be dissapointed if we stop running that play. They'll probably vary it a bit for the finals, but I never thought Des had it in him:shock:

If that try had have stood and Manly won Warriors fans would have been bitching and moaning about the foward pass, I thought it was disgraceful refereeing all round.
Good to see the Warriors win that game in front of a sellout, I would have felt guilty if Manly won:D .