What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Despite what you think - ratings are down.

eastsrule

Bench
Just as the AFL and the Ten Network are puzzling over the drop in viewers for the first round of this year's finals, the National Rugby League and the Nine Network aren't too keen to talk about a little secret of theirs.

A drop in the audiences for the Friday Night Football and Sunday Afternoon Football telecasts in Sydney and Brisbane this year compared to 2003.

The fall off in viewing will add to the feeling amongst advertisers that the week in week out broadcasting of sport has stopped growing. And even the finals matches and the State of Origin show pieces (NRL) seem to have plateaued.

But in the present strong advertising market, that's not a concern. Time has to be bought and it’s scarce.

But when advertising slows and the pressure lifts on time slots and 'avails' become more a problem for the networks, then those softer audiences become a concern and will have to be explained away.

For Nine and the NRL worry is the regular season broadcasts. They are a gold mine for Nine. The Network (and Kerry Packer driving the deal) only paid around $13 million a year for the pleasure of broadcasting the game. That's chickenfeed and works out to less than $100,000 a game. The Foxtel deal is separate, but Nine has the whip hand and can pick and choose which games it covers each weekend. naturally it picks what it thinks will be the most attractive (even with the five week ahead gap).

That leaves Foxtel with some good games, but most of the also run matches. Naturally, production costs each week drive the figure higher. But Nine is an expert at reducing or controlling Outside Broadcast costs and sharing them with Foxtel helps.

Oztam figures show that in the season just finished, an average 413,500 people watched the Friday Night Football in Sydney, compared to almost 441,000 in 2003. That's a fall of 6%. Not nasty, but still an ouch!

In Brisbane, the other major market for Rugby League, the fall was 10%, from 247,600 average in 2003 to 223,100 in 2004.That was the largest fall. With the Brisbane Broncos still doing well in the competition, it’s a bit of a blow to the NRL and Nine. Perhaps it’s the better success of the Brisbane Lions AFL team that's hurting league?

For the Sunday games the fall isn't as large, but it is an easy nevertheless. Sydney Sunday Afternoon League games were watched by an average 284,900 people in 2004 regular season, down 5% on last year's average of 300,900.

In Brisbane, a similar story. The 2004 average figure was 205,100 compared to 211,700 last year. That was a fall of 3%, the lowest of all. The NRL finals start this week and viewing figures will be of considerable interest given the drop in the season just passed.

http://crikey.com.au/columnists/2004/09/08-0003.html

Maybe that is why a 16th team was not admitted? Ratings are more important than attendance.

eastsrule

Bench
sure is.... especially when Rugby is gonna expand into Melbourne and the Storm will get even lower crowds :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Te Kaha

First Grade
eastsrule said:
sure is.... especially when Rugby is gonna expand into Melbourne and the Storm will get even lower crowds :)

No they wont. The new team is to be based in Perth. Stop being such a knob

miketyson

Juniors
eastsrule said:
sure is.... especially when Rugby is gonna expand into Melbourne and the Storm will get even lower crowds :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah Im looking for the section on the super 12 ratings but I can't seem to find it ...

hang on ... :?

legend

Coach
I agree with the figures and nine is to blame with their pig headed persistence to only show a select few sides on FTA. I am sick of seeing the Roosters, Dogs and Dragons on the box every week and nine's choice of games sometimes leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

The Cowboys deserved a lot more FTA coverage than they got.

ucantseeme

Juniors
they asked people in the pre-season who would be in the grand final and most said roosters vs bulldogs.

they asked people at the Dally M's who would be in the grand final and most said roosters vs bulldogs.

Who has featured in most of the games aired on ch 9, rooster & bulldogs

It's not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just that when a sporting comp is a two horse race the whole year , things can get a bit repetitive and predictable.

Remember last year, the panthers and raiders came from nowhere to be the big guns of the nrl and the warriors were one of the most feared teams in the comp. In 2003 the comp was more exciting and more unpredictable.

I predict next year, with the bulldogs weakened by steve price leaving and the roosters weakened by brad fittler leaving, we'll see a more balanced comp cause teams like the cowboys, tigers, sharks and knights are only gonna get stronger next year. this balance will lead to higher ratings. booyah!!

PB

Bench
Hopefully Gallo has a good hard look at these figures when contract renewall comes up!

Channel 9 run a very unprofessional mid week show, they play games involving the same teams week in, week out and their commentators are past their used by date. Throw into the mix, the only inovation this year has been a "sky cam" which was also a failure and your left with Boots and All, the only positive thing about their football coverage and it happens at the poor rating time of 12 noon on a sunday, 4 hours beofre their sunday game......

Kiwi

First Grade
Why use OZtam, they have been shown to not favour League because part of league biggest following is in the bush and oztam does not have those stats.

How is club rugby going there eastsrule? Must get boring with hardly anyone to celebrate tries with in the crowds, oh yeah if you were wondering what crowds are at club level, those are people, fans that turn up to games to watch their teams play, not corporates and the like that get watch union tests.

buster bunny

Juniors
Its most likely because nine play the same teams over and over. Next year for at least the 1st half show all teams at least once since most people don't know which teams will be the best at the end of the year. Like this year even with nine picking the "best" game of the week their were huge blow out scores.

Thomas

First Grade
I'm with the majority of you guys. I'm sick of seeing the Roosters et al play. Why not the Cowboys?

Eelectrica

Referee
I love league, but don't always bother watching channel nines broadcast unless I think it's going to be a great game. Quite often I'll watch the commercial free fox broadcast later.
Since the finals are all live I'll be watching nines broadcast for them all.

aids

Bench
i'll be honest.
i hardly ever watch friday night games and sunday afternoon games.

but i'll watch from 5:00 onwards on foxsports1 saturday afternoon.
the main reasons for that are:

1) the games are live
2) the commentary teams are interesting (smith and daily and those kiwi guys)

sure, we can bag chnl 9 for showing too many white washes.
but they don't pick the score, so it's not their fault.

however, if i can go online 40minutes before the match is shown on 9 and get the result, then why will i watch if the result is known?
it takes the excitment out of it.

that and i can only stand haragon and sterling on chnl 9's commentary team.
the others are too "vanilla" and seem to kiss ass too much.

however, "boots and all is excellent" and a good use of their archival footage.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Crikey are a joke. They are always trying to bag League.

That article aint even worth reading.

wittyfan

Referee
PB said:
Channel 9 run a very unprofessional mid week show, they play games involving the same teams week in, week out and their commentators are past their used by date. Throw into the mix, the only inovation this year has been a "sky cam" which was also a failure and your left with Boots and All, the only positive thing about their football coverage and it happens at the poor rating time of 12 noon on a sunday, 4 hours beofre their sunday game......

For sure. Channel 9's poor coverage is the reason for the soft figures in 2004. The game is going pretty strong elswhere. Though Andrew Voss seems to be commentating more these days, is Rabs being phased out? :?

Southernsaint

Staff member
Rabs should have been sent to the Glue Factory ages ago. He's a senile old man who's un-natural obsession with Joey Johns & Novacastrians in general is a tad worrying...

Cheers,
Ben S.