What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Despite what you think - ratings are down.

aids

Bench
Southernsaint said:
Rabs should have been sent to the Glue Factory ages ago. He's a senile old man who's un-natural obsession with Joey Johns & Novacastrians in general is a tad worrying...

Cheers,
Ben S.

do they still say "turn it up"?

Am I right in thinking that 'Super' (as in 'oh, rugby, how super!') 12s is no longer shown on 'free' TV in Aus.
Eastsrule, go and find a Rah Rah board, you're boring!

eastrules, you posted an article written by Terry Television?

What next, an article on AFL expansion by Ron Radio or Wally Wireless?

League will murder AFL this weekend in the ratings.

wittyfan

Referee
Not helping Channel 9's Friday Night ratings were the large amount of blow-out scorelines. I'm sure a better selection of games next year with see ratings back up again.

DJ1

Juniors
The other key issue is that there are now over 1.2 million households with PTV on. There is no longer the urgency to watch a game on channel 9 full of ads when you can catch it later that evening or next day with a fraction of the ads and interuptions.

Overall, (FTA and PTV combined) league ratings are now triple what they were in 1994.

This trend of FTA ratings remaining reasonably static or slightly declining will continue.

GAME FIRST

Juniors
DJ1 said:
The other key issue is that there are now over 1.2 million households with PTV on. There is no longer the urgency to watch a game on channel 9 full of ads when you can catch it later that evening or next day with a fraction of the ads and interuptions.

Overall, (FTA and PTV combined) league ratings are now triple what they were in 1994.

This trend of FTA ratings remaining reasonably static or slightly declining will continue.

Excellent point on the trend of peolple catching the game later on on PTV so not really always watching the Free to Air coverage- i do it quite a bit now unlike in past years-

This however would mean PTV ratings should be increasing- which they are for league considerably- which makes the overall figures way up for us!

Besides this year for the 2 weeks the olympics took out a lot of the normal ratings for us on FreeTA - THATS A FACTOR RECENTLY!

But i think a deeper look of the Crikey.com article and i think they may not be entirely reliable, nuetral and correct.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Why do people believe anything written on crikey.com? The site is full of lies and one of their prominent writers who appeared on sbs this week accidentally admitted that. The site has its agendas and one of those is to discredit rugby league. Just ignore it as the right wing nonsense that it is. It's the internet version of what you get when you cross rugby union fans with right wing morons like Piers Ackerman.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
eastsrule said:
sure is.... especially when Rugby is gonna expand into Melbourne and the Storm will get even lower crowds :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If anything I think the storms following will grow. Fans will finally be able to see the difference in the two games and relise that league is such a better spectacle.

eastsrule

Bench
Big Bunny said:
Why do people believe anything written on crikey.com? The site is full of lies and one of their prominent writers who appeared on sbs this week accidentally admitted that. The site has its agendas and one of those is to discredit rugby league. Just ignore it as the right wing nonsense that it is. It's the internet version of what you get when you cross rugby union fans with right wing morons like Piers Ackerman.

So the writer said "Crikey.com.au is full of blatant lies."?

Pigskin

Juniors
season is too long - simple

not sure about others .... but I was ready for finals about 6 weeks ago .... the season has dragged on since

and now a completely dud first week of finals adds salt to the injury ..... 2 are forgone conclusions and therefore the other 2 don't matter .... rinse and repeat

but there is no doubt .... as soon as the Spring Carnival is over .... I'll be feeling footy withdrawal .... which means I'll be anxious for over 3 months :cry: :oops:

Oink !

nqboy

First Grade
You've still got the tri-series to fill in time until the 2005 draw is announced so it's better than last year :D

Leagueguy

Juniors
Here is some bad news for Union, League and AFL, nothing is going to change for a long, long time.

Lets start with Union. Last year they had the world cup, the biggest piece of exposure their likely to get in Australia and what came of it? Super 12 lost its free to air TV rights and they failed to sign anyone from league. Union had to bribe Lote who was willing to play league for less money. That reflects very badly on the code. Then there was the Andrew Johns saga, another big loss for Union. Player numbers and crowds might be up slightly, but they go up every year for each code. Basically the big financial "war chest" and world cup exposure that was supposed have a massive effect on Union hasn't done much at all.

Union is talking about expanding now to Perth or Melbourne. It won't work. People use the Brisbane Lions as an example of how a new code can penetrate. They are actually a good example of how a code can fail to penetrate. People don't realize that in Brisbane people like the Lions, not AFL. Obviously having won 3 premierships and going for history this year, the Lions will get a lot of support. Swimmers get support at the Olympics, but its because of their success, not the popularity of the sport.

In Brisbane games of AFL not involving the Lions get virtually no coverage and absolutely no ratings. The game of AFL hasn't really made a big impact and that’s with a side thats made history. You will see a big dent in the "AFL's popularity" when the Lions start losing. Even when you compare the Lions themselves to the Broncos ratings and media coverage they are dwarfed. The AFL grand final involving the Lions was outrated by the NRL final in Brisbane without the Broncos. That tells you how tough it is.

Union will try and play the international card when it expands, but that counts for little. Look at the popularity of soccer in Australia. Unfortunately for Union, what matters most to Australian's is the tradition of supporting your local club or tribe and going to the football on Sunday afternoons. Fans get most passionate and attached to their club and it becomes a part of their life. What do Union fans do on Sunday afternoons? Nothing. They are irrelevant in the biggest part of the football season in Australia. The sport lacks any kind of club tradition. You can't go to the footy every week, their are few passionate tribal rivalries. As a Union fan you can go to a few Super 12 games and maybe a test each year. It’s just not the same going and seeing your club every week. If you don't believe me ask an AFL fan.

Things will stay very much the same as they are now in terms of popularity of the codes. People support what they are brought up on. They don't really choose which game they like best. Is it a coincidence that all the people in Victoria like AFL best? Unfortunately for all sports it is very hard to overcome this. People have had a chance to see Union for 100 years all across Australia. They haven't embraced it, why would they start now? The best you can really do is grow very very slowly and consolidate what you have. As a fan you need accept what you have because things aren't going to change for a very long time.