What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dick Thornett passed away this morning

Gronk

Staff member
ur kidding me

Lived in that street for 28 years, not far away now

Dad, is that you?

lol ME, no I'm not your Dad. Do you remember the number of the house?

mr+t+and+son.jpg

cgee221

Juniors
I never saw Dick play in person but I'm well aware of the role the Thornett's played in this club. A club legend who will be sorely missed. Condolences to his family but a man that they and we as, Parramatta fan's should all be proud of.

Curleel

Juniors
Great player, up with Hindy and Ronny Lynch as our best ever second rowers. Great ball skills, fast for a big bloke - priviledge to have seen him play.

lingard

Coach
a true true legend of this club...

if there's a greatest ever eels team chosen now, him and Hindy would partner each other in the second row followed by daylight.

RIP Dick..I will cherish your autograph on my jersey forever.

Well, Ron Lynch might have something to say about that. Lynch could play lock or second-row, but in an all-time great Eels side, I think Ray Price is better than Lynch at lock. Hindmarsh is a shoe-in for one second-row spot, so that leaves Dick Thornett and Lynch vying for the other one. As Parra Pete alluded to previously, Dick Thornett was fairly famous for being 'lazy' - and he certainly seemed to pull out the big games just before international selection was imminent. A fantastic second-rower but, overall, I`d choose Ron Lynch ahead of him. I`m afraid I`d have Dick Thornett as first reserve in an all-time great Parra side, with Hindmarsh and Lynch in the second row and Price at lock. But I admit, it would be a close call.

Jodeci

Bench
I went to the Thornett Tribute Dinner at the SCG Steve Waugh room.

It was a good night, plenty of nice words said and I actually got to meet Ken Thornett.

Past Eels players included Kolc, Sharp, Cronin, the Bear, Johnny McMartin and Fitzy.

parra pete

Referee
I went to the Thornett Tribute Dinner at the SCG Steve Waugh room.

It was a good night, plenty of nice words said and I actually got to meet Ken Thornett.

Past Eels players included Kolc, Sharp, Cronin, the Bear, Johnny McMartin and Fitzy.

I never met Dick, but I did meet John when he was in Hay on Dorper Business a couple of years ago. One of my (former) partners in the newspaper has Dorper sheep. She is South African and a Rugby Union tragic, and John was visiting her property looking at Dorpers.
She knew how much a Thornett fan I was, and gave me an introduction to the great man, which is something I will cherish for a long long time.
I had a great talk with John...but looking back now I think I may have embarrassed myself because all my conversation centered around Ken and Dick...* I get red faced just thinking about it*..

Last edited:

Latest posts