What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did anybody here actually see Bob Fulton play?

lucablight

First Grade
I was reading through a rugby league magazine and I saw a picture of Bob Fulton. It said he played centre and five eighth. He seemed like a pretty small bloke from the photos. How big was he and what position to he primarily play?

groggo

Juniors
yep im old i seen him play fluffy is correct played center then moved into 5/8 .Well he was small but his skill made him huge

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Awesome player, lightning fast, evasive, yet tough at the same time.
One of those players who had 'lots of time'.
Super fit too.

canteen worker

Juniors
Incorrect above - Fulton played 5/8 early in his Manly career and played there for Australia as well. Moved to centre after that - and moved between the two a bit.

Not huge but incredible acceleration and 100% footballer. Best player of his generation and deservedly voted one of the first four immortals with Churchill, Raper and Gasnier.

canteen worker

Juniors
chileman said:
Well even though I'm only 21 years old :p :p I did see him play numerous times ;-)
Chile, your Maths and your memory are letting you down!!!

Bozo was a champion and was a great ref as well. Never forget his try against Newtown when he conned the ref for a penalty, pointed towards the posts whilst he said 'Tap' to the ref and strolled over for the winning touch-down.

gregstar

Referee
parra pete said:
He wasn't a big bloke. The biggest part of him was his mouth......still is!!!!
you got that right!!!
LOL!

he is certainly entitled to be an immortal, based on his competitiveness alone.
i only saw his last two seasons of footy with easts.

canteen worker

Juniors
gregstar said:
i only saw his last two seasons of footy with easts.
Judging Bozo on his last two seasons with Easts is like Judging Christopher Reeve's movie career after he was in a wheelchair.

Bozo was Manly and whilst he did okay at Easts it was at Manly that he really starred!

Sea Eagle 1

Juniors
I saw him play. The best I've seen. He was very strong and therefore did not need to be huge. Geoff Toovey is not huge either but could bury the biggest prop forward. Ask Paul Harragon about Geoff Toovey.

Back on Bozo he is not an immortal for nothing. The selectors overlooked him for the 1968 Kangaroo tour along with Bob McCarthy, still rated by league experts as one of the biggest selection blunders ever. They thought he was too young maybe. By 1970 the pommy and Aussie press were rating him a superstar. Bozo is the first player I ever saw rated as a superstar. What does that say to any detractors?

lucablight

First Grade
Hey big was he in terms of height and weight? He looked diminutive when they showed him on the footy show. It's interesting to note that Gould said he likes his outside backs to be big and that was one of queenslands weaknesses. I wonder if he could have handled it today because sometimes we tend to look at the past through rose coloured glasses.

Latest posts