What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Taylor make the correct decision by selecting Delaney and Burt???

Did Taylor make the correct decision by selecting Delaney and Burt???

• Yes, they did their best- Nothing else could be done

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • No, you should have picked the NRLs leading linebreaker, Mckinnon and the comps form centre, O'Dwyer

Votes: 26 54.2%

• Total voters

Phillips

Referee
hasman said:
if I was coach I would had picked Burt over Wade any day...

I don't know what game you were watching But Burt played a good game on Sunday and wasn't allowed to Run.....

He almost scored a great try......

almost isnt good enough :p

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Can anybody say loaded question?

Burt should have definately been selected, his form is better. Delaney and O'Dwyer was a hard call but I support Taylor on this one. I think O'Dywer could be anything but Delaney had something to prove and Taylor obviously thought that Delaney's determination would be a good asset.

Parra Guru

Coach
I was as disappointed as anyone that Chalky was dropped, but calling him the 'comp's form centre' is ridiculous

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Sean7 said:
Made 2 line breaks and 145m.

Burt made 16m, just so you know.

Are you talking about the Cowboys game for Burt? If so he didn't play many minutes.

If you talking about the Storm game then he ran alot of support runs but there were no offloads, and the ball was kicked to the corners so Hayne and Grothe made the majority of the kick returns.

Sean7

Juniors
The Ref in Seat 196 said:
Are you talking about the Cowboys game for Burt? If so he didn't play many minutes.

If you talking about the Storm game then he ran alot of support runs but there were no offloads, and the ball was kicked to the corners so Hayne and Grothe made the majority of the kick returns.

I'm talking about the Cowboys game. I think McKinnon must have done something right.

Okay, Burt ran a lot of support runs, so does McKinnon, but McKinnon will also just take the ball and run with it. Burt is not sighted unless there is a try from a kick on.

lucablight

First Grade
Sean7 said:
I'm talking about the Cowboys game. I think McKinnon must have done something right.

Okay, Burt ran a lot of support runs, so does McKinnon, but McKinnon will also just take the ball and run with it. Burt is not sighted unless there is a try from a kick on.

McKinnon was terrible against the Cowboys. I like analysing the stats alot as well but it just goes to show they don't always tell the full story. That's all elementary now since he's gone.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Angry_eel said:
Any good centre in the game would have scored that try just before fulltime rather than throwing a pass hoping for support.

Is that because Billy Slater is so slow?

:roll:

Anyone watching that run can see that Delaney is no slug - he's just (like Ben Smith) slow off the mark.

He's a big boy, and I think he'll make a good backrower one day, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him turn out as a reasonably good center either!

number8

Juniors
Burt yes Delaney no!

Delaney played well but should never have been there ahead of O'Dwyer. I think Taylor showed a few chinks in his coaching over the last few weeks.

I like him as a coach & would have liked to see him stay here. But for mine, some of his selections (or non selections) are worthy of the same critisism that Smithy used to cop from some quarters.

Sure he gave Hayne a shot but outside that, what else changed in regard to selections? Taylor is a good coach but he is human & like his human predecessor he is likely to make a few choices that only he can understand. but as the coach thats his job & his responsibility. Right or wrong it is his choice & he has to wear whatever the result.

I have not considered Delaney to be at the 1st grade standard & questioned his inclusion most of the year. His lower grade form warranted a shot but it was clear early on that he would not have the same impact at the higher level.

Burt can play & has to be there. Not because he may be able to offer this & that but because he CAN & HAS many times over! He is the coach's pet for a reason!

Sean7

Juniors
number8 said:
Burt can play & has to be there. Not because he may be able to offer this & that but because he CAN & HAS many times over! He is the coach's pet for a reason!

What reason?

I don't know of a player that has been dropped and reinstated as often as Burt has. The only thing Burt has is experience, but he has also shown that he is far from consistant. His involvement is very low, his try scoring ability is average for a winger, he's supposed to be fast but you never see it uneless he's chasing a kick, his defense is poor, his goal kicking is on and off (on recently) and his work from our own end is poor. So why not try to fix the problem rather than patch it up a few weeks at a time?

Hopefully Hagan can bring out the best in him. Burt turns up every now and then for a few good games and suddenly he's great. McKinnon plays well for a few seasons, but puts in a few poor performances and suddenly he's a leper. Something's wrong with this picture. Burt gets criticized and it's the end of the world, but it's seemingly okay to be down on McKinnon.

I'm not sure why Burt is a protected species on this forum, but he is.

And I don't care if I've said it before. Plenty of things have been said before, but it only counts if it's against Burt.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
O'Dwyer form centre lol, just like J Smith was the form half back aswell....., they played well in a side that was going well all round at teh time, but as you saw when times got tough..O'dwyer was pathetic in both our loses and deserved to loose his spot.

number8

Juniors
Sean7 said:
What reason?

I don't know of a player that has been dropped and reinstated as often as Burt has. The only thing Burt has is experience, but he has also shown that he is far from consistant. His involvement is very low, his try scoring ability is average for a winger, he's supposed to be fast but you never see it uneless he's chasing a kick, his defense is poor, his goal kicking is on and off (on recently) and his work from our own end is poor. So why not try to fix the problem rather than patch it up a few weeks at a time?

Hopefully Hagan can bring out the best in him. Burt turns up every now and then for a few good games and suddenly he's great. McKinnon plays well for a few seasons, but puts in a few poor performances and suddenly he's a leper. Something's wrong with this picture. Burt gets criticized and it's the end of the world, but it's seemingly okay to be down on McKinnon.

I'm not sure why Burt is a protected species on this forum, but he is.

And I don't care if I've said it before. Plenty of things have been said before, but it only counts if it's against Burt.

??????

The amount of times Burt has been dropped is f**k all. Burt in his time at Parramatta has been injured at times & come back through prems but I can only remember him being dropped once in that time!

As for reinstatment. He is a quality footballer as good judges will tell you & will never be far from the top team when fit!!