What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did we over achieve this season

We just got knocked out and i dont really feel that bummed about it. I mean in 07 and 08 i was friggen pyscho about it but this year im sweet. No Price for the whole year we didnt think our forwards would muscle up this season and a new halves pairing would take time to gel yet we just missed out on top 4.

Next season expectations gonna be real high just hope there is no let down

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
the fact that we're not playing this weekend and the panthers and tigers are says we did not.

we'd be feeling the elimination more if losing the game directly meant we were gone, rather than a rather crazy set of circumstances.

ozbash

Referee
I still wonder if we deserved a top 8 spot.

parts of the season were good but large parts were downright shoddy.

I also dont think we were alone, the comp was very tight but this year mediocrity was evenly shared.

we'll be better next year, I think we've bought well.

Warmess

Juniors
Given our roster, and the general quality of the NRL this year, I don't think so.

However, if you take injuries into account, I certainly feel that finishing 5th was a big ask for the boys.

I don't know if I'd call it over achieveing, maybe just doing really well :p

One Warrior

Bench
I still wonder if we deserved a top 8 spot.

parts of the season were good but large parts were downright shoddy.

I also dont think we were alone, the comp was very tight but this year mediocrity was evenly shared.

we'll be better next year, I think we've bought well.

Yes we did deserve our top 8 spot, to get to 5th with the injuries we had through the season was a great achievement, our young players have improved and grown immensely. We did under perform on Friday night, our young players were a bit overwhelmed by the occasion, but will be better for it next time, as I think they would of proved if we had got to play this coming weekend. Looking forward to next year, we have recruited well and we should be aiming for at least top four

AJH

Juniors
Hi Warriors fans. Just wanted to pass on my commiserations for being knocked out of the finals. I'm a Dragons fan but was hoping your guys would go a bit further.
From what I saw this year the Warriors looked a bit more consistent than they have for a few years. Consistency's probably not a word that would have been used about the Warriors in the past, so hopefully it'll get even better next year.
Cheers
AJ

Martli

Coach
5th was way beyond my expectations. I guess in that sense we did, but I think it was a perfect case of a team with their back against the wall and nothing to lose: you'll always get a good performance in that situation.

The unfortunate thing is that next year there will be huge expectations. I'm hoping this isn't like 2003/4...

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
nah, we've got another year or two of finals appearances before another 2004 or 2009 if the pattern is anything to go by.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
hehe yeah...actually we repeated almost the exact same pattern in 02/03/04 and 07/08/09....I guess that means next year we'll start off poorly but all will be forgotten when we roar home, sneak in to the 8, and then make the final 4 in stirring fashion. 2012 on the other hand....

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
hehe yeah...actually we repeated almost the exact same pattern in 02/03/04 and 07/08/09....I guess that means next year we'll start off poorly but all will be forgotten when we roar home, sneak in to the 8, and then make the final 4 in stirring fashion. 2012 on the other hand....

2001 = finished 8th.
2006 = would have finished 8th except for the salary cap penalty.

2010 = week one finals exit, as good as finishing 8th.

maybe it won't be until 2013 that we have a horrible year.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
woot, that means top 4 next year...we've made the GF, had the straight sets bomb-out, so I guess that means we're due to win it

Rovelli

Bench
We went 12-2 against teams that missed the 8
We went 2-9 against fellow teams that made the 8

i.e. We deserved to make the 8, but much more was going to be a bonus.

Meth

Staff member
Given our roster, and the general quality of the NRL this year, I don't think so.

However, if you take injuries into account, I certainly feel that finishing 5th was a big ask for the boys.

I don't know if I'd call it over achieveing, maybe just doing really well :p

This.

Injuries really hampered our opportunity to finish higher than we do. I was over the moon that we finished as high as 5th.

In saying that, this was a great opportunity to go on and win the competition and we choked- sure the refs were bastards- but we choked.

In saying that, considering the inexperienced talent of our team (Maloney, Heremaia, Matulino, Ta'ai, Lousi, Brown) I am pretty philosophical about that

Micistm

Bench
Yes we did deserve our top 8 spot, to get to 5th with the injuries we had through the season was a great achievement, our young players have improved and grown immensely. We did under perform on Friday night, our young players were a bit overwhelmed by the occasion, but will be better for it next time, as I think they would of proved if we had got to play this coming weekend. Looking forward to next year, we have recruited well and we should be aiming for at least top four

I agree with that. Disappointed with the anti climatic end, but overall happy with the way it went this year, and gave us some good entertainment after the drag that was '09.

The warriors failed they didnt win.
We need the potency in our 1,6,7,9,13

01. Kevin Locke
02. Krisnan Inu
03. Lewis Brown
04. Jerome Ropati
05. Manu Vatuvei
06. James Maloney
07. Isaac John
09. Alehana Mara/Aaron Heremaia/Nafe Seluini
13. Feleti Mateo

Now that looks menancing if we continue down the same road youre gonna get the same results and I'm not looking forward to 2011 without these changes being made. It's not a panic attack when we need to change an old recipe into a new one.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
The warriors failed they didnt win.
We need the potency in our 1,6,7,9,13

01. Kevin Locke
02. Krisnan Inu
03. Lewis Brown
04. Jerome Ropati
05. Manu Vatuvei
06. James Maloney
07. Isaac John
09. Alehana Mara/Aaron Heremaia/Nafe Seluini
13. Feleti Mateo

Now that looks menancing if we continue down the same road youre gonna get the same results and I'm not looking forward to 2011 without these changes being made. It's not a panic attack when we need to change an old recipe into a new one.

Not saying I agree with your team selections (probably none of us on here would agree 100% on anything), but a word you use there is a very good word- menacing. Our attack lacks menace- particularly our outside backs (with one obvious exception- but I still don't think we are using him as well as we could). Ta'ai and Brown have looked menacing at times and Mara was refreshingly menacing- but I seriously question the menace of Locke, Moon or Inu

Not saying I agree with your team selections (probably none of us on here would agree 100% on anything), but a word you use there is a very good word- menacing. Our attack lacks menace- particularly our outside backs (with one obvious exception- but I still don't think we are using him as well as we could). Ta'ai and Brown have looked menacing at times and Mara was refreshingly menacing- but I seriously question the menace of Locke, Moon or Inu

Fair enough comment about Inu and Moon i know what you mean they can be handy one day and very shady the next. I guess we should look at other centre options. Have you got any suggestions? I didnt choose moon however but i guess he's the only other option atm. Should we look at buying another centre as cover?

Latest posts