What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did we play better without Soward?

...well firstly I thought Nathan Fien demonstrated himself as the true professional he is. Combined with Merrin, with Dugan, solid kicking game.

But did the Team function better because Soward wasn't there?

murraymob

Coach
you need to play a good team before being able to judge.Remember the winger droping the ball gave you the field position to win

dragondonar1

Juniors
It only shows how good the dragons could be if soward took on the line and straightened our attack. With his kicking and speed we would be dangerous in attack.

Efresh

Coach
Next Friday will be the test of that, without the motivation of playing against the old coach and former team mates.

We looked different, that's for sure. I still didn't see any evidence of a game plan from Price but it was nice to jag a win.

Next Friday will be the test of that, without the motivation of playing against the old coach and former team mates.

We looked different, that's for sure. I still didn't see any evidence of a game plan from Price but it was nice to jag a win.

I totally agree. We looked different. I'm surely not going to get carried away. Not until we win say 7 from 9 and against good opposition.

But the running at the line thing (even Stanley, but as someone pointed out more like a 2nd lock) did give the Team a noticeably differrent shape.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The forwards lifted, that's why we won. The halves can't take advantage if the pack in front of them aren't in the game. League 101.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol. Definitely a problem there too BFD.

Was more having a dig at myself after stating the obvious.

I'm actually a fan of putting Dugan in at five eighth. I can understand the reluctance to do this because he loves to run and room to move is essential to this. But I always thought he has such a good step on him that he would do just as well in a more compressed position. He showed that last night with his last try, scored from the five eighth possie in close quarters. Granted the defence went a little soft but it did show that Dugan is more than just a fullback.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
It only shows how good the dragons could be if soward took on the line and straightened our attack. With his kicking and speed we would be dangerous in attack.

I agree with this comment......but I really don't think its in him to take any line on...cant see it happening in the future with us or The Panthers....Im looking forward (as you put it) our attack being straightened when we get Widdop

Twenty10

Juniors
Agree with most comments... But there is probably only 1 reason we won..

Josh Dugan.

Honestly withouhin we lose. But if we look beyond duges, i think a major difference was Cameron king off the bench. Reins second stint was better but it was king who really started getting the forwards on a roll. Agree the forwards were strong... Particularl mentions to De belin and stockwell... Both came of age last night. I think we man handled the knights at times... Merrin wanted to smash smith, creagh wanted to smash Scott. I think these moments made a big difference.

Chase Stanley did straighten the attack. No question. He offers no ball playing options but I suppose was something different. Green and prior did their role, but we can't expect that to work for too many more weeks. Definitely a position we are lacking.

On Fien, he was very ordinary to start the game. He made some very nice kicks towards the end which put us on the front foot, but there were just as many poor last tackle kicks as there was good long kicks. With a half back who can kick well close to the line I think we would have won by 13+

Anyway, if we can jag a win over cowboys and then we have the bye. We are back in the game. But lets see how our attitude is on Friday night. Winnable game against opposition lacking confidence. They will be fired up.

I'm actually a fan of putting Dugan in at five eighth. I can understand the reluctance to do this because he loves to run and room to move is essential to this. But I always thought he has such a good step on him that he would do just as well in a more compressed position. He showed that last night with his last try, scored from the five eighth possie in close quarters. Granted the defence went a little soft but it did show that Dugan is more than just a fullback.

He is much more than a fullback isn't he! But with his level of involvement in the game I don't think we are missimg out on any of his talent, that's for sure.

I can't read a game well enough to know whether his high involvement is all of his own searching or others (halves) positioning and getting the ball to him.

But I loooove the chip kicks Fien puts in for him ....and hope we see much more of that. V exciting!!

Twenty10

Juniors

Given he's won us 2 games on his own from fullback there is 2 chances of him playing 5/8...

1. Buckleys
2. None

Willow

Assistant Moderator
He is much more than a fullback isn't he! But with his level of involvement in the game I don't think we are missimg out on any of his talent, that's for sure.

I can't read a game well enough to know whether his high involvement is all of his own searching or others (halves) positioning and getting the ball to him.

But I loooove the chip kicks Fien puts in for him ....and hope we see much more of that. V exciting!!
Thanks BFD, you got it.

My only concern is that sometimes Dugan isn't at home at fullback (in defence). But you're absolutely correct, he keeps popping up everywhere and that creates the potential for an extra five eighth as we saw last night.

Agree with most comments... But there is probably only 1 reason we won..

Agree the forwards were strong... Particularl mentions to De belin and stockwell... Both came of age last night. I think we man handled the knights at times... Merrin wanted to smash smith, creagh wanted to smash Scott. I think these moments made a big difference.

Yep, well said! To say they were motivated is an Understatement.

Steve Price needs to get rid of his cat and buy his family an alsatian.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Thanks BFD, you got it.

My only concern is that sometimes Dugan isn't at home at fullback (in defence). But you're absolutely correct, he keeps popping up everywhere and that creates the potential for an extra five eighth as we saw last night.

Dugan is a brilliant ad lib fullback who goes looking for the ball but his "weakness" seems to be not passing to support. It isn't natural for him, but I'll take the way he's playing & let him develop the passing game as he settles in with players around him. The tough thing at the moment is the number of different centres & wingers we're using.

Defence - didn't watch him closely enough throughout the game, but one tackle stuck in my mind. I think it was Willie Mason in the first half who seemed certain to score under the posts, but Dugan held him up. I remember him doing this sort of stuff at the Raiders where he just put his body on the line. The technique wasn't copybook, but importantly the results were effective.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There's no doubting his ability to defend. I was talking more about his positional play in defence. He's sometimes up in the line and there's no fullback at home. It's inviting a kick downfield at the very least.

Last night the Knights almost made a line break, and Weyman (I think) only just hung on to the collar to bring the Knights player down. There was no one in front of him, everyone was up in the line including the wingers and fullback. Couldn't help but think we were close to being punished for it.

getsmarty

Immortal
Personally, I don't think stanley at 6 works. This put a lot of pressure on Fein to be our main Kicker (he was excellent last night) and a number of times we got caught out. Better sides will nullify this easily. If soward doesn't play again this year, try Drinkwater or someone else at 6. Hopefully the rumours about Williams or Keary come to fruition. That said, I doubt Price will change a winning lineup.

P.S Did our season turn around last night..IMO no, not until we turn up against a tougher side. I personally don't think we are top 8 material, but I will nevertheless be cheering the boys on.

TheRev

First Grade
- We lacked a lot of polish without Soward, we have relied on him for many years... but having said that I liked the simplicity of the way we played and there was more variety for sure.. but agree that we out-enthused them in the forwards and dummy half running which was really where we won it.

- I'd argue that Chase was a terrible selection though, on the other forum some argue his size and defense makes him a good choice, I think thats rubbish, imo hes wasting a key spot, he has the ball in his hands a lot and he doesnt have the skill or speed to use it.... Quinlan or one of the hookers or Dugen I think would do a tremendous job with more ball in close to the ruck.. and give a legit alternative to Fien with their kicking and passing games or make a break themselves.

I think we got a bit lucky last night, im expecting a lot of pressure on Fien in following weeks, im hoping that the Williams signing is fast-tracked.

- Goalkicking is a tremendous issue too, King looked promising, Dugen maybe just nervous on that first one but he looks all gangly and awkward, I cant see him doing a better job than Chase/King or one of the younger guys.

- Can anyone help me with a positive perspective on Green also? I get tired of bagging his selection, I must be missing something about him, its not his attack or power (hes not a threat to the line), is it his defence that stands him out above Vai Vai? Also Newcastle picked him up in every tackle and spun him around I thought that was ridiculous and deserved of a penalty.

Latest posts