What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diehard NRL Fans Wanted

The_Savage_1

Juniors
for 5 years or so i've been developing a tipping comp that tries to take as much luck out and put as much skill in as possible.

i always hated it when you would lose a game by 1 point and win another by 50, yet you would get the same score as the person who won by 1 and lost by 50.

similarly, if you correctly tip a huge upset (say souths to beat bulldogs) you get the same points as tipping a dead cert (say roosters to beat tigers).

so i've come up with a system that takes into consideration the odds of the two teams and the for and against in the game as well as who wins of course!

i'm now looking for some diehard fans to help me test it because i'm sure it will need a bit of tweaking and it is the footy freaks that try and watch every game that will be the best people to test and critique it.

there will be no prizes (unless everyone disagrees) and i'm only looking for about 10 people who will definitely put in their tips every week to test it because i'm too busy to administer a large comp. however if there are lots of people keen and someone wants to do the admin that's fine.

anyway, the system is pretty simple. basically you get $5 to bet head-to-head on every game and you get 10c per point of for and against. you also get a joker to place on one game each week which makes that game a $10 bet.

i'll example with round 6 of 2003 (minus the joker for simplicity, ie lets assume both joker bets lost).

$1.45 roosters
$2.55 BRONCOS

$1.25 bulldogs
$3.50 DRAGONS

$1.90 RABBITOHS
$1.80 panthers

$2.50 TIGERS
$1.48 eels

$1.68 sea eagles
$2.05 STORM

$2.60 SHARKS
$1.45 knights

$1.06 warriors
$7.50 COWBOYS

tipper A chooses...
roosters, bulldogs, panthers, eels, STORM, knights & COWBOYS

so A goes mostly favourites with one roughie, while tipper B goes the opposite...
BRONCOS, DRAGONS, RABBITOHS, TIGERS, sea eagles, SHARKS & warriors

the scores were

27 roosters
20 BRONCOS

14 bulldogs
24 DRAGONS

14 RABBITOHS
16 panthers

08 TIGERS
28 eels

20 sea eagles
14 STORM

24 SHARKS
32 knights

30 warriors
24 COWBOYS

so tipper A gets...
5*1.45 + 0.70; -1.00; 5*1.80 + 0.20; 5*1.48 + 2.00; -0.60; 5*1.45 + 0.80 & -0.60 = $32.40

and tipper B gets...
-0.70; 5*3.50 + 1.00; -0.20; -2.00; 5*1.68 + 0.60; -0.80; 5*1.06 + 0.60 = $29.70

in summary, A got 4/7 all favourites with a positive f/a while B got 3/7 with a good roughie and a minus f/a. both pretty even really with A getting a deserved small advantage.

however, to illustrate the scoring system at work, if you swapped the tips around in the first two games A would end up with $39.35 while B would be on $22.75 even though in a normal tipping comp it would still be 4-3.

thats more than enough for now! so if youre keen leave a message or send me a PM.