What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference between us and them

_Johnsy

Referee
I am lucky enough to have fox, or austar up here. I must say what a round of games., finished off by one of the best club games for many a year. I then compare this weeks games to the "Dull 12's" and i tell you what. Without the big corporate dollars the Dull12's has it would die a slow death. What a slow, boring kickathon the games were, all showed with minimal skill. Union will not overtake league, it cannot compete with our week to week football and level of skill. If I wanted to see a boring goal kicking competition mixed with a bit of forcem'backs I'd go down to the local park with a few mates. pffft what a bloody joke!!

Give me the "real" game anyday of the week. League is the superior game ...and yes time will tell.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
God what a boring post, why would you bother? Your on a rugby league forum, which could be used as an indication that most here like rugby league. Go post this on a rugby union forum if your looking to achieve something.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Ignore the thought police, Johnsy.

Clearly, Leagues product is shining ATM. Union has nothing on it, and their hype is dying as they navel gaze and complain over their players heading to the Perth Farce. It's a huge chuckle for me, considering that Perth have to get their players from SOMEWHERE, and there are only 3 S12 teams in Oz.

The crowds last weekend to Sydney (and Newy) games were all phenomenal, all following Brisbane's fantastic effort for Friday's test. Canberra is dragging the chain in the only place where S12 is cared about. Yet they have had big crowds this year also.

So why bother, GC_Gladiator? Because it seems that Foxtel (Austar for me) never stops replaying Stupid 12 games. IN comparison, try finding a replay of the third Super Saturday game - never an easy task.

Super Saturday ratings blitz Stupid 12 on the east coast. Imagine what would happen if Fox gave league equal serves, and the NRLactually promoted the game!

_Johnsy

Referee
GC

For someone who has been here for all of 5 minutes, i'll treat your comments with the contempt they deserve. if you need to have the intention of each post explained for youmaybe you need to stick to reading Mr Men books.

Misty Bee

First Grade
What's even worse about S12 replays is that mostly they are NZ teams v South African teams. Who, honestly, would watch them, compared to NRL replays?

Putting it another way, if I was in Johanesburg, could I watch Parra v Wests on pay TV?

simon says

First Grade
I agree Misty Bee....Ima always loking on fox for some replays and all there are is dead boring rugby replays of SA v NZ teams.

What a snore-athon.

Bulldog-Power

Juniors
for sure

its seems ludicrous that south african teams vs new zealand teams would be replayed more then league

union is super boring anyhow

JK

Garts said:
white pointer! said:
Johnsy u r right.f**k union off the pay telly, its sh*t

so your suggestion would be to put it on free to air :roll:

No. The suggestion is to get it off the air entirely. Put on 'I Love Lucy' replays instead.

avsterooster

Juniors
i must say i am a big rugby league supporter but have also watched union with interest in the past

2 weeks ago i went to the tahs brumbies game in canberra, i was influenced by friends.

as unbiased as i can be, it was the most boring unskilled game of rugby i have ever seen.
they must of played football for about 50 minutes out of the possible 80. a forward hruts his toe, so they stop the clock the forwards regroup in a huddle and just waiste time...

it really is yawnion

league is the superior sport

_Johnsy said:
I am lucky enough to have fox, or austar up here. I must say what a round of games., finished off by one of the best club games for many a year. I then compare this weeks games to the "Dull 12's" and i tell you what. Without the big corporate dollars the Dull12's has it would die a slow death. What a slow, boring kickathon the games were, all showed with minimal skill. Union will not overtake league, it cannot compete with our week to week football and level of skill. If I wanted to see a boring goal kicking competition mixed with a bit of forcem'backs I'd go down to the local park with a few mates. pffft what a bloody joke!!

Give me the "real" game anyday of the week. League is the superior game ...and yes time will tell.

What a truly small-minded and insecure comment.

Look, I realise you don't like Rugby Union as a sporting spectacle. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

But it might suprise you to discover that many people do indeed enjoy Rugby Union. I for one. But then I also enjoy "AFL" :roll: too so maybe there is something wrong with me?

We talk about beating dead horses around here, but surely "Rugby Union is boring" is the ultimate.
:BDH:

Are we here so small-minded that we have to think that competing codes are dull ("Dull-12s" boy, that is clever! :roll: ), unskilled and not "real"? I mean seriously, have you ever watched players like Stephen Larkham? If that guy's skill "cannot compete" then my name is Frida.

Are we here so insecure that we have to think that competing codes exist simply through "big corporate dollars"? I mean, isn't the NRL half owned by one of the biggest corporations in the world that continues to prop up certain NRL teams?

The average crowd for a S12 match in Australia in the last three years is 24,882. It is 16,122 for the NRL. Total and average representative rugby union crowds are much larger than Rugby League ones. That really doesn't reflect a code that is using apparent "big corporate dollars" to it avoid "a slow death". Yes, the S12 season is much shorter than the NRL season. But it is impossible to explain away rugby's superior crowd numbers through this.

Take Super 12 off air completely? Are you insane? So anyone who follows a sport you don't like doesn't deserve television coverage.

For me, League is the superior sport. No doubt about it.
Red and White till the day I die.

But that doesn't mean that people who like rugby are stupid. Nor that they follow a "dull", non "real", skill lacking, big corporation dependent code. It just means they have different tastes. Nor that they don't deserve an equal number of replays on Fox. Fox Sports is a business whose primary motivation is to get ratings. They are trying to cater for multiple markets. Get over it.

avsterooster

Juniors
um excuse me South coast saint

The average crowd for a S12 match in Australia in the last three years is 24,882. It is 16,122 for the NRL. Total and average representative rugby union crowds are much larger than Rugby League ones. That really doesn't reflect a code that is using apparent "big corporate dollars" to it avoid "a slow death". Yes, the S12 season is much shorter than the NRL season. But it is impossible to explain away rugby's superior crowd numbers through this.

if your going to be saying this then you must compare super 12 crowds to state of origin as you are basing it on a state game

so in that case the average origin crowd would be what 70,000

you want to compare crowds
go to a randwick game at coogee oval and see the 2000 fans there

and also add up the 3-5 nsw games a week and im sure ull see that all the games added up seem to beat the nsw super 12 game

cheers
yawnion is gawnion

Why?

Logic dicates that you compare the major professional competition of Rugby with the major professional competition of Rugby League.

Super 12 is rugby's closest equivalent to the NRL. It is more like the NRL than it is State of Origin.

avsterooster

Juniors
no nrl is club rugby league
and this is the same as unions club rugby, randwick etc

super 12 is province (state) rugby

therefore must be compared to nrls form of state rugby
state of origin

everyones entitled to an opinion
just stating mine

MEATWAD

Juniors
S12 average is 24,000 over 3 teams times 4 or 5 home games each that's 15 games in total in Australia or 360,000. League has average 16,000 over 14 teams (not counting NZ) and 12 or 13 home games each that's 2,688,000.

Plus TV ratings for League far outstrip Union. By miles and miles. Including tests. Australia's number 1 winter ball sport on TV. Why do you think Channel 7 stopped showing the S12? Didn't rate.