What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference between us and them

Misty Bee

First Grade
Honestly Sully would you wait up till 1am to watch your Sharks play every week ? of course this would have had an impact on ratings. From what I heard they never gave S12 a chance at a regular time slot to know how it would fair in the ratings

Nope, TV stations are like that. They never give programs a chance to show their ratings. That's why they don't show test patterns at 6.30pm, never gave em a chance to build a following!

Tighthead said:
LOL

He said "huge", not competent.

Well then, I hope that you don't consider the Kangaroos test ratings 'huge' then, because they were beaten by the Bledisloe last year.

The 2003 World Cup Final was also the most watched program in Australia this century. I'd call that pretty huge. LOL.

The Kangaroos ratings are never "huge", and I didn't say they were.

Maybe you should put it into perspective, or will I do that?

In 2004, Union had 1 program in the top 20. Bledisloe.

How did it rate, do you remember?

I do. ;-)

Bledisloe:

Syd: 603,125
Melb: 238,173
Brisb: 330,737
Adel: 88,876
Perth: 164,448

The League Test rated:
Sydney: 512,242
Brisbane: 356,431

That doesn't include the regionals which ATR don't keep, but from memory the Union test didn't make the top 20 in any of the regionals. The League test did. So take out the AFL states and it was pretty close....

Plus, considering that the Union test was live into all states, and it was off the back of the RWC, those figures aren't all that flash.

Well, compared to......

Sydney: 960,208
Brisbane: 718,874

Sydney: 857,178
Brisbane: 704,970

Sydney: 924,119
Brisbane: 669,783

They aren't all that flash.

And since when have Wold Cup matches been called Tests?

Besides, if you had a RWC here every year, there may be a point to bringing it up. A bit like the Swans in 1996.... It's a pity Lockett got old. It's a pity they can't have the RWC here every year.

And, the 2003 Bledisloe didn't make the top 20 if memory serves me correctly....

I'm happy to stand corrdected if you can prove me wrong.

http://www.oztam.com.au/archives.aspx?Year=2003

Tighthead

I said where league DIRECTLY faces Union. Union has a wider base worldwide - places like Argentina, Romania, South Africa. Read the statement.

So why are you arguing then, you agree that union is more popular worldwide.

Twickers, at 75000, is smaller than Wembly, which League test used to get over 90k to!

No, Twickers is 82,000. Wembley doesn't exist anymore. When was the last time league got 90k to a test in the UK. When was the last time league got over 50k to a test in the UK. Union gets at least 4-5 crowds of this size a year in test matches.

And if Union is king, why do the Pommy union only play n the south of England? At one venue?

Because the RFU own Twickenam. Why would they spend some of their profit playing their games elsewhere when Twickenham is the home of English Rugby, a purpose built stadium, and regularly sells out.

Union wouldn't jag a decent crowd in england outside the Greater London Area.

Except for tests played in Scotland, Wales etc.

Also on stadiums; EXCLUSIVE League grounds (such as Knowlsley Road, Wilderspool etc are generally bigger than domestic exclusive Union grounds in the UK - the biggest of which that I can see is The Stoop). I exclude grounds such as JJB which are shared by socer teams.

You're good at excluding things that will hurt your argument, aren't you.

Now, unless you are going to use facts, rather than heresay and silly taunts, don't reply. I'm quite happy to be PROVEN wrong. You have to prove it first.

Misty Bee said:
And I caught a snippet of a story on grandstand last week about League making great headway in Argentina as well.

Misty Bee said:
Well, Troll, disprove it.

Misty Bee said:
You obviously know zip about marketing

Hey Kettle! The pot is calling. He said you're black.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I said where league DIRECTLY faces Union. Union has a wider base worldwide - places like Argentina, Romania, South Africa. Read the statement.

So why are you arguing then, you agree that union is more popular worldwide.

I'm talking about how it stacks up against LEAGUE. No one is arguing that union isn't the more popular of the 2 where there is no league!!!!!

Twickers, at 75000, is smaller than Wembly, which League test used to get over 90k to!

No, Twickers is 82,000. Wembley doesn't exist anymore. When was the last time league got 90k to a test in the UK. When was the last time league got over 50k to a test in the UK. Union gets at least 4-5 crowds of this size a year in test matches.

Twickers is 75000. Have a look at www.worldstadiums.com.

League always got 90k at Wembly for Ashes tests or WC finals.

But there is more to a sport that internationals, something you Union types ignore.

Union is London-centric. Hardly a basis for ridicule against other codes.
And if Union is king, why do the Pommy union only play n the south of England? At one venue?

Because the RFU own Twickenam. Why would they spend some of their profit playing their games elsewhere when Twickenham is the home of English Rugby, a purpose built stadium, and regularly sells out.

So they don't ever see the need to play the sport in other large cities such as Manchester and Liverpool? So it's either aristocratic snobbery, or lack of audience. fact is that League tests have sold out in more English cities BY FAR than Union.
Union wouldn't jag a decent crowd in england outside the Greater London Area.

Except for tests played in Scotland, Wales etc

Since when are Scotland and Wales in England???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I omitted the soccer grounds because they are obvioulsy built for soccer crowds! Fact remains the bigest purpouse built club Union ground in the WHOLE of England seast only 12500!!!!! What a massive sport! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for proving that you have nothing on the Warriors exposure issue. I'll claim victory on that one. As always, I'm happy to be proven wrong. Maybe it takes someone with the ability to do it. Tighthead, you are out of your league.;-)

Tighthead

So why don't they get anywhere near that number now? Why do they solely play league internationals in smaller, northern stadiums?

So they don't ever see the need to play the sport in other large cities such as Manchester and Liverpool? So it's either aristocratic snobbery, or lack of audience. fact is that League tests have sold out in more English cities BY FAR than Union.

No, the fact is that Union Tests have sold more tickets in England BY FAR than League.
Since when are Scotland and Wales in England????

Are those goalposts I hear shifting again?

You said:

In the UK, League argualbly is king as well.

Thanks for proving that you have nothing on the Warriors exposure issue. I'll claim victory on that one. As always, I'm happy to be proven wrong

Saying that league is as popular as union in NZ because the Warriors were popular when they played in the NRL final is as asinine as saying that union is more popular than league in Australia because the world cup final rated higher than any league game in history.

Tighthead, you are out of your league

It's always amusing when someone declares themselves victorious.

I've also noted that you're responding to fewer and fewer rebuttals.

Everlovin' Antichrist said:
... BIG SNIP...

Totals:
AFL: 1,048,000
League: 1,136,000

....BIG SNIP....

People like you make assumptions based on AFL having more coverage than League, and that's fine. But when they're head-to-head, League smacks AFL's arse.

Well blow me down and call me Charlie. I've never been so glad to admit to being wrong. I'll have to investigate that but it appears you are correct on the Friday Night footy thing. Although I was actually right in the details of my statement.

I'm still not convinced that just because NRL FNF outrates AFL FNF that makes NRL the dominant winter television code. The fact that AFL is on at a decent hour on free to air much more than league and has cumulatively a much greater audience makes it the dominant TV code. Sorry, it does. NRL figures are obviously in much better shape than I thought they were (making the mistake that I openly admit of taking OzTAM ratings and forgetting the regionals). But in the end we still have a long way to go before we can claim to be the dominant TV code.

On to other things:
I find it funny being called a troll (not by Everlovin' Antichrist I don't think). I certainly am not. I'm a dedicated Saints fan. I love my league. On many other forums I am always an advocate of league over the insults of AFL and RU fans. I just think it is silly to make constant assertions about the inferiority of other sports. What does it achieve for us to be ignorant of the opposition's true position?

Cheers,
SCS
Red and White Till I Die

Garts

Bench
SCS I can not understand why some continuously bag the sport also. I hate AFL but I dont continually write it off. I always defend league when Union boys write it off also.

Someone above mentioned league is bigger than Union in England. All my family lives in England and they tell me it has nothing on Union. I also asked this question to the POMS I work with and they wet themselves with laughter. And 2 of them love their league!!!!

I also understand the international level is not the be all and end all but neither is a club competition in Australia.

Sorry _Johnsy.

The demands I was referring to were those of white pointer! and JK and not you.

I still disagree with your sentiment that Rugby Union is propped up by "big corporate dollars".

South Coast Saint said:
... BIG SNIP...

Totals:

....BIG SNIP....

People like you make assumptions based on AFL having more coverage than League, and that's fine. But when they're head-to-head, League smacks AFL's arse.

South Coast Saint said:
Well blow me down and call me Charlie. I've never been so glad to admit to being wrong. I'll have to investigate that but it appears you are correct on the Friday Night footy thing. Although I was actually right in the details of my statement.

Well, you're only right because AFL gets much more FTA coverage than NRL. If the Fox ratings were factored in, it would be closer than most people think and if League had the same amount of League matches on FTA as AFL have, I have little doubt that League would win. People tend to forget that Qld Country and NSW country combined more than match Adelaide, Perth and Tasmania ratings-wise.

South Coast Saint said:
I'm still not convinced that just because NRL FNF outrates AFL FNF that makes NRL the dominant winter television code. The fact that AFL is on at a decent hour on free to air much more than league and has cumulatively a much greater audience makes it the dominant TV code. Sorry, it does. NRL figures are obviously in much better shape than I thought they were (making the mistake that I openly admit of taking OzTAM ratings and forgetting the regionals). But in the end we still have a long way to go before we can claim to be the dominant TV code.

I disagree, and I disagree vehemently.

The only reason that AFL cumulatively has more viewers than the AFL (and I've seen nothing to prove that) is because they have sometimes twice as many matches on FTA as Rugby League does.

That and the fact that AFL states are so damn insular that they can't just run League games at reasonable hours because they're shit scared that it will actually rate.

The proof is that for the past 3 years the NRL Grand Final has rated higher in Melbourne than the AFL Grand Final did in Sydney. Yet, one would assume the opposite to be true because the Swans average crowd is triple the Storm's average crowd.

And State of Origin is played near or after midnight everywhere but NSW and QLD.

Why?

Becuase they're scared of Rugby League.

The crowd average is up significantly and the FTA ratings are going up again.

AFL has been arrogant and assumed that they rule the roost and there's no argument that they do when it comes to bums on seats. But they don't in my opinion, on TV.

South Coast Saint said:
On to other things:
I find it funny being called a troll (not by Everlovin' Antichrist I don't think). I certainly am not. I'm a dedicated Saints fan. I love my league. On many other forums I am always an advocate of league over the insults of AFL and RU fans. I just think it is silly to make constant assertions about the inferiority of other sports. What does it achieve for us to be ignorant of the opposition's true position?

Actually, I believe that for far too long we have given AFL respect, respect it doesn't deserve.

AFL gets all the breaks in FTA TV. There is saturation coverage of AFL everywhere, live games for the home team in both Sydney and Brisbane but the Storm can't even get a delayed FTA game in Melbourne and if they do put a game on FTA it's always at or after midnight.

AFL runs TV, yet Rugby League regularly beats it. Everything is in AFL's favour, yet League regularly outrates it. Four of the top five Football matches on FTA TV in 2004 were Rugby League matches, yet those ratings were garnered from NSW and QLD only in the case of SOO, and NSW, QLD and Victoria only in the case of the Grand Final.

SOO is the bargaining tool in the TV ratings war to beat them all. 3 games that all put up Grand Final-esque ratings. They won't put it on in the southern states any more simply because it will rate. It rated 3 million odd Australia-wide last year for all 3 matches, in 3 states only. Only oone AFL match rated more, the Grand Final.

Respect is earned and AFL has earned nothing. It has tried to take over in NSW and QLD yet hasn't. It didn't even take over in QLD with the dominant AFL side since the turn of the century. And even then, they were regularly outrated by League match not involving a QLD side. As for Sydney their support is waning year by year. The ratings over the past few seasons have been abysmal and so far this year they're still heading downward. Their current losing streak will add to their woes.

AFL has had it far too easy for too long and still can't put League away. That's exactly why their honcho Demetriou has been sounding off about expansion to Western Sydney, the Gold Coast and New Zealand. Neither would work but he still is saying they're his options.

He has no options. League will have a Gold Coast side inside 2 years, killing AFL aspirations there, and if the AFL move a Melbourne side to Western Sydney it will draw like Club Union. At best it will halve the Swans support. Can anyone see the Swans allowing a second Sydney team when they're lucky to pull 30k to a once a fortnight match?

And New Zealand? They'd laugh AFL out of the place inside 3 years.

Demetriou is preaching to the converted. He's telling AFL fans what they want to hear, he's not prepared to tell them the reality for one reason and one reason alone, they're not used to it. If you go to bigfooty and point out what I pointed out regarding the FNF ratings, you'd be banned. That's the sort of mentality the average AFL fan has. As far as they're concerned if AFL didn't win handsomely, it didn't happen.

Don't be offended by people assuming that you're an AFL troll. You sounded like one of the many who have passed through here over the past few years.

Misty Bee

First Grade

So why don't they get anywhere near that number now? Why do they solely play league internationals in smaller, northern stadiums?

Because that's all that is available!!!!! :roll:

You haven't answered my question as to why the Pommy Union side can't play outside of London. Or don't they have 3 test series like the do in League?
No, the fact is that Union Tests have sold more tickets in England BY FAR than League.

At one single, lonely venue. Which has been outdrawn by League at Wembly, not only for Tests, but for Challenge Cup finals as well.

Seeing that League has outdrawn Union in London, what about Manchester?Liverpool? Sheffield? Birmingham?

Come up with facts arther than the usual Union twadle.
Since when are Scotland and Wales in England????

Are those goalposts I hear shifting again?
No. Scotland and Wales are NOT in England. Get a map!
Thanks for proving that you have nothing on the Warriors exposure issue. I'll claim victory on that one. As always, I'm happy to be proven wrong

Saying that league is as popular as union in NZ because the Warriors were popular when they played in the NRL final is as asinine as saying that union is more popular than league in Australia because the world cup final rated higher than any league game in history.

Again, apart from issuing standard issue Union twadle, get some facts and figures. My original statement was that League and Union were on par in Auckland. You immediately make it a national argument. There is no question that, nationally, New Zealanders chose Union. However, in Auckland alone, the other 70% are not resident - therefore don't count.

I've also noted that you're responding to fewer and fewer rebuttals.

When you actually GIVE me one, and not mindless heresay that you Yawnion toffs always drag out of the cognac cabinet, I'll respond accordingly.

Tighthead

Because that's all that is available!!!!!

Garbage. Are you saying that there are only sub 50k stadiums available in the UK? RL has had league tests played at Twickenham (during the 2000 WC) which were less than 1/3 full. If League is sooooo much more popular in the UK than union, why the massive disparity in crowd numbers during the respective 99/2000 world cups?

You haven't answered my question as to why the Pommy Union side can't play outside of London. Or don't they have 3 test series like the do in League?

No, I did explain it. You chose to ignore the answer. The RFU own Twickenham. It is a purpose built stadium built for RU, and to pay for it, and the regular upgrades, they play all of their tests there. The English RU do play test series there, but fewer than they used to, because of the increased demand from other international sides. When was the last time the Kangaroos played any kind of test series against anyone other than NZ/Lions?

At one single, lonely venue. Which has been outdrawn by League at Wembly, not only for Tests, but for Challenge Cup finals as well.

When was Wembley sold out for a league test. Show me the evidence and the date.

No. Scotland and Wales are NOT in England. Get a map!

No, but they are in the UK, which was what you initially were discussing. Not my fault if you want to shift the goalposts because you are losing.

Again, apart from issuing standard issue Union twadle, get some facts and figures. My original statement was that League and Union were on par in Auckland. You immediately make it a national argument. There is no question that, nationally, New Zealanders chose Union. However, in Auckland alone, the other 70% are not resident - therefore don't count.

70% of Aucklanders aren't residents? I don't even understand what you are saying any more. You're foaming at the mouth now.

When you actually GIVE me one, and not mindless heresay that you Yawnion toffs always drag out of the cognac cabinet, I'll respond accordingly.

You keeping shifting the goalposts and choosing to exclude certain facts.

And what was that you were saying before about silly taunts?

_Johnsy

Referee
Southern, no probs.

IMO opinion the week to week product that the nrl puts out is far superior to that of union in australia.

bayrep

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
Honestly Sully would you wait up till 1am to watch your Sharks play every week ? of course this would have had an impact on ratings. From what I heard they never gave S12 a chance at a regular time slot to know how it would fair in the ratings

Nope, TV stations are like that. They never give programs a chance to show their ratings. That's why they don't show test patterns at 6.30pm, never gave em a chance to build a following!

Your logic still doesnt prove my statement wrong. Other than test patterns arent TV shows, well done on that gem of info.

JoeD

First Grade
only grey area is Auckland, where they are sort of on par.

I haven't read the whole thread but if you believe this you are serously deluded. I'm a league fan and season ticket holder and I can admit that in Auckland union is by far more popular code. S12 games would regularly get double or more the warriors crowds. Auckland NPC games would get just as many if not more than warriors. Tests sellout EVERY year, even against minor nations.

Hoops

Juniors
South Coast Saint said:
... BIG SNIP...

Totals:

....BIG SNIP....

On to other things:

Cheers,
SCS
Red and White Till I Die

You were right the first time SCS it is just another case of EA spin to make NRL figures look good.

According to ABS figures dated Dec 2003 about 54.4% of Australians (or 10,878,967 of 20,008,677) live where NRL FNF is shown prime Time.
I know Darwin shows both but this is more than offset by SW NSW (Albury to Broken Hill) getting AFL FNF Prime Time
http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/abs@...8ca5022b2135f162ca256cd0007bee22!OpenDocument

And according to the Universal Estimates of both ATR and Oztam their is a potential audience of 11,601,000 in the RL areas which equates to 106.64% of the actual number of people (Must have been double counting or just over estimating by Oztam and ATR because there is also sections of NSW and QLD that is not included in the estimates, but this has no bearing on my overall figures)
And for the AFL areas there is a potential audience of 8,505,000 out of a total of 9,129,710 or 93.16% (again I suspect double counting or over estimating due to NW Vic, Regional SA & WA and the NT being omitted from the ratings, but again this is will have no bearing on my overall figures)
http://www.atraustralia.com.au/docs/reports/regional_toolkit/Reg_Universe_Estimates_2005.pdf
http://www.oztam.com.au/pdf/tv_ratings/Universe_Estimates_2005.pdf

So if you take the figures EA was so kind to get and divide it by the true amount of people you get better indication of actual figures that include all of Australia .

AFL: 1,048,000 / 93.16 * 100 = 1,124,978
League: 1,136,000 / 106.64 * 100 = 1,065,297
Or NRL got about 60,000 less people than AFL

Lets not forget that AFL goes to 1.75 million less people imagine if it was 50/50 or even 100% each I think you’ll find the discrepancies to be even greater considering not only the larger market outside of its heartland but the greater interest as well.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Misty Bee.. you're a League.,.. and what more you're a Parra fan.. that makes you a top bloke in my eyes.

But unfortunately you are wrong here.

The highest ever RL international crowd was the 1992 RLWC final at Wembley.

Crowd was 76,631.

The 1995 WC final had 66,540.. pretty good condiering SL.

http://rl1908.com/Tests/World-Cup.htm

Likewise, about 4/5 years ago, the RFU took a game to Old Trafford, I think vs Romania.. they got a crowd over 40,000.

I'm very vague on the numbers, but they have been outside of Twickenham before.

Lastly, about stoop begin biggest stadium. RU isn't that big in London at all, it's just the domain of private scholl wankers in the finance industry.

The heartlands of RU in the UK in the midlands, especially west midlands.

Bristol (Though will 2nd div, will be promoted at expense of a london team)
Bath
Gloucester
Worcester
Northhampton
Leicester, who's home stadium of Welford Road is 16,815.. I know this because this has been the exact number of fans they get to EVERY game, for the last 3 years.

Next year will see half their comp from one or two counties, 3 in london, and the other 3 are outposts in Sale(Manchester), Newcastle (less crowds than Gateshead when ESL started) and Leeds (Melbourne storm of English RU)

Tighthead

With Harlequins being relegated from the top league, there will no longer be a London side in Premiership rugby union next year.

So much for union being a london based sport.