What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointing Crowds?

Moffo

Referee
Is it just me or have you found the crowds pretty disappointing thus far this year?

I mean, we've had no shockers and are probably averaging 18-19k, but not many crowds have exceeded my expectations. Is it the hot weather? Possibly

But I think its more the sh*t promotion of the NRL this year. There was very little hype, not much to get excited about really. I just didn't feel the same 'vibe' at the start of this year. I dunno, maybe it is me.

Just looks like they are saving money for a big promotion next year (100th year of the game and all that jazz)

innsaneink

Referee
This surprised me, considering the victory last week, and the traditional rivals.
20060326southssaints0600055wv.jpg

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The crowds are higher again than last year, I don't see what the issue is. As long as the figures go up year to year we'll be fine.

Mr Saab

Referee
Brisb vs Parra was dissapointing with only 25k or so.
I know the Broncos played like the eels of 1994 in round 1, but i would have thought more than 25k would have turned up....maybe at least 35k

I would of attended more then the two games ive been to so far, but those thrilling Commonwealth games have kept me glued to my seat - Barbados vs Mozambique in the table tennis was a perticular highlight!

DJ1

Juniors
Crowds are up 6% over the corresponding period (rounds 1-3) last season.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Crowds are up 22,000 on last year at same stage.
Do agree though some games have disappointed crowd wise.

girvie

Staff member
Crowds are probably up because Melbourne hasn't had a home game yet.

Surandy

Bench
girvie said:
Crowds are probably up because Melbourne hasn't had a home game yet.

That's okay Girvie, the Roosters have been getting our crowds instead. 10k this week and last.

c_eagle

Juniors
Shocking crowd in Brisbane. They won last week and were taking on the reigning minor premiers. Games like this should sell out for a one city team in supposed rugby league heartland of over 1 millions. Brisbane are probably the worst supported team per capita north of the Victorian border.

Jono078

Referee
One excuse would be that Channel 9 has put all the focus in the Commonwealth Games.

That has cut off alot of ads like the Footy Show and stuff.

I think it would be safe to say theyll improve from here.

Calixte

First Grade
c_eagle said:
Shocking crowd in Brisbane. They won last week and were taking on the reigning minor premiers. Games like this should sell out for a one city team in supposed rugby league heartland of over 1 millions. Brisbane are probably the worst supported team per capita north of the Victorian border.

Can't agree. Although the crowd was slightly disappointing.

Games against the Eels haven't proven as popular in Brisbane over the last few years. It seems their reputation as failures at the final hurdle may have hurt them.

They certainly don't have the attraction of Parramatta teams of the 1980s. But the current side is a better looking side than, say, the one that attracted 51,517 to Brisbane's opening game at ANZ in 1993.

Don't forget Brisbane got 46,500+ to the game against the Cowboys in round one this year.

There are bigger drawers in Brisbane than Parramatta these days - Bulldogs, St George, Cowboys, Panthers, Tigers (this year if Marshall is back and the side is fired up), Newcastle (with Johns fit), Roosters (in recent times) and probably Gold Coast in 2007.

Brutus

Referee
But the Parra army was out in force in Brisbane on Sunday.

Are Broncos fans so repulsed by the Eels as a club that they won't attend matches against them?

Calixte

First Grade
I am not a Broncos fan but my view is they pick and choose games in Brisbane to go to live and watch all the games they do not attend on television (generally those games are free-to-air).

c_eagle

Juniors
I'm speaking generally, Brisbane crowds are disappointing. The crowd against the Cowboys should be the norm, not a one off. It's a one city team, ffs.

Calixte

First Grade
To make one further point.

The Brisbane Broncos are the easiest team to follow in the NRL on free-to-air television alone.

They have a huge number of fans who do just that every match - and many others who only go to anywhere between one - three or four games per year.