What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointing Crowds?

Big Pete

Referee
Casual Broncos fans would've been discouraged to go after the repulsive displays against the Cowboys and Sharks. Then again I do agree and I don't understand it either.

Brutus

Referee
Calixte said:
To make one further point.

The Brisbane Broncos are the easiest team to follow in the NRL on free-to-air television alone.

They have a huge number of fans who do just that every match - and many others who only go to anywhere between one - three or four games per year.

I think you have mistaken those fans who watch at home as Broncos fans. Most would be league fans who follow other clubs. The Broncos don't have the support in Brisbane many people think.

I would have to agree with the disappointing crowds theroy, I attended the game yesterday and the half the stadium was empty. I remember the days when they had 45 000 people back suncorp out, yesterday was only 25 500.

Wonder whats happened to everyones love of footy?

meltiger

First Grade
DJ1 said:
Crowds are up 6% over the corresponding period (rounds 1-3) last season.

If this is the case Moffo ... I don't really see a problem, as someone else said, so long as they go up year by year, what's the problem?

Remember back in the dark days when 10k was considered a good crowd in Sydney, now at the very least the two opening Friday night games attracted what 28k and 32k? Plus Marathon looked absoloutely jam packed this Friday night just gone.

Even Brisbane ... If they had 25k that is certainly better than when they were getting 15k at QEII. The crowds back in the days when they were getting 45k ... Many many freebies were given out.

Someone else also sl.agged off the Storm ... Their crowds will increase once the new stadium is completed. Not too many people want to go and stand in the slush of Olympic Park in the dead of winter, especially when it's raining.

JW

Coach
My 2c,

I understand the points people are making about the Brisbane crowd, and in my opinion some are quite valid.

However,

I would have to agree with the disappointing crowds theroy, I attended the game yesterday and the half the stadium was empty. I remember the days when they had 45 000 people back suncorp out, yesterday was only 25 500.

Wonder whats happened to everyones love of footy?

I think people seem to forget that just a couple of years ago Brisbane were averaging just on and under 20,000. Now that's dissapointing. Most crowds at ANZ usually drew in the vicinity of 15-20,000 at most (as meltiger pointed out), with the odd 'big' game drawing in excess of 30 or 40 thousand. These days, 25-30,000 is considered a par crowd at Lang Park. And it's increasing by the year as you can see:

2001: 20,035
2002: 20,131
2003: 24,326
2004: 28,667
2005: 30,331
2006: 35,877*

No matter how much we disect individual attendences, the above figures show good growth in any respect. Many (including myself at times) are of the view that the Broncos should already be drawing 30,000+ crowds week to week and should have been doing so from year dot. Well the facts are that they haven't, but the growth is there and that's what's needed.

Yes, yesterday's turnout was less than most expected, but it's round 3 and there should be many bigger crowds at Lang Park as the season progresses. I believe it's also likely the attendence average will be increased for the 5th consecutive year.

Freak2

Juniors
I think the crowds up from last year is not a true indication of success.

As people have pointed out Melbourne have not had a home game, and 2 teams have elected to play their home games in NZ against the Warriors.

Plus Newcastle have had 2 home games in the middle of a purple patch.

Will be surprised if we are still up on last year's numbers come half way mark!

yobbo84

Coach
innsaneink said:
This surprised me, considering the victory last week, and the traditional rivals.
20060326southssaints0600055wv.jpg

Mate, there was 16,000 there yesterday. The Western side was pretty full. Who wants to sit in the sun when you can easily fit on the shady side?

LRC

16000 is a disgarce when you consider the 2 teams are always touted as having huge supporter bases... thats a bout 8000 fans each give or take.
Ive seen the roosters cop it for as long as i remember about these sorts of crowds..their 10000 against the storm and raiders doesnt look as bad as only 8000 each of saints and souths supporters.
This is not a pay out on them..itsmore a bout showing all crowds are average not just the chooks.

Estoboy

Juniors
Tigers v Dogs was higher than stated. THe crowd was huge.
Tigers v Dragons should have been higher... ALOT higher.
Tigers v Storm will be interesting

Palms

Juniors
Now that the commonwealth games have finished alot more advertisment will be focused around rugby league on tv, newspapers and radio etc. There has been alot of publicity and talk around the games in the media as one sided as the specticle was

meltiger

First Grade
LRC said:
16000 is a disgarce when you consider the 2 teams are always touted as having huge supporter bases... thats a bout 8000 fans each give or take.
Ive seen the roosters cop it for as long as i remember about these sorts of crowds..their 10000 against the storm and raiders doesnt look as bad as only 8000 each of saints and souths supporters.
This is not a pay out on them..itsmore a bout showing all crowds are average not just the chooks.

The Roosters ... LOL

How many people would attend Easts home games if they had been as sh*t as South Sydney have over such a significant period of time?

A team that until last year had played in something like 10 finals series in a row attracting the sorts of crowds Easts really do is disgraceful.

LRC

kick them out then ...
leave the city to afl and the warratahs...or souths might be able to keep the game alive in the most one of the most competetive markets in the country.

Lantana

Juniors
So after 100 years in the league and zero funding to junior development the Roosters are happy to see their crowds drop off that far?

Do the Cowboys or Broncos or Knights rely on travelling support?Not really.

Apparently the Brisbane crowd was affected by the delay on daylight savings, apparently thousands turned away when they turned up and the game was in the second half. Coulda been 30K +.

The Roosters supporters shouldn't be on here whinging about anything? How many GF's have the Rabbits or Dragons been in over the past 5 years? None?
But here we have people saying 'it's Melbourne and Canberra's fault our crowds are bad'. No, how don't you have 20,000 loyal supporters after controlling the city for the past 10 years?

The Rabbits are smashing you and they have moved from their spirtual home into a ground that a lot of soft c**ks use as an exuse not to watch footy, where as the Roosters play in the best rectangular ground in Sydney.

Maybe a return to Henson is on the cards, let the Rooster supporters drive their car in and flash their lights and beep their horn when Crossy scores in the King George V canteen corner. lol

Meanwhile the Swans annoounce a membership of over 30,000. Werll done Politis, Fisk etc whilst you are so busy spending every red cent you have over and under the table on kids from around the couontry you have abandoned your junior base (4 clubs) and ignored your fringe supporter.

Roosters to the central coast, leave the 4 clubs for Souths to put in their sysytem and leave the band wagoners to follow the Swans, they are a part odf Sydney now and will be forever.

yobbo84

Coach
Lantana said:
So after 100 years in the league and zero funding to junior development the Roosters are happy to see their crowds drop off that far?

Do the Cowboys or Broncos or Knights rely on travelling support?Not really.

Apparently the Brisbane crowd was affected by the delay on daylight savings, apparently thousands turned away when they turned up and the game was in the second half. Coulda been 30K +.

The Roosters supporters shouldn't be on here whinging about anything? How many GF's have the Rabbits or Dragons been in over the past 5 years? None?
But here we have people saying 'it's Melbourne and Canberra's fault our crowds are bad'. No, how don't you have 20,000 loyal supporters after controlling the city for the past 10 years?

The Rabbits are smashing you and they have moved from their spirtual home into a ground that a lot of soft c**ks use as an exuse not to watch footy, where as the Roosters play in the best rectangular ground in Sydney.

Maybe a return to Henson is on the cards, let the Rooster supporters drive their car in and flash their lights and beep their horn when Crossy scores in the King George V canteen corner. lol

Meanwhile the Swans annoounce a membership of over 30,000. Werll done Politis, Fisk etc whilst you are so busy spending every red cent you have over and under the table on kids from around the couontry you have abandoned your junior base (4 clubs) and ignored your fringe supporter.

Roosters to the central coast, leave the 4 clubs for Souths to put in their sysytem and leave the band wagoners to follow the Swans, they are a part odf Sydney now and will be forever.

That little rant just made my morning, thank you! :D:lol:

miccle

Bench
Parra army out in force in Brisbane? Please! There were twice as many Parra fans at the match last year! It was probably one of the lowest Eels turnouts I've seen in Brissie for a while.

Yes the crowd was very disappointing. I don't know if it had anything to do with the Pura Cup final or if it was the FTA/Commonwealth Games issue, but all I know is we will be lucky to get that number against Souths in a fortnight.

Regardless, I'm still confident we can get a 31K average this year.

missmini

Juniors
innsaneink said:
This surprised me, considering the victory last week, and the traditional rivals.
20060326southssaints0600055wv.jpg
Try again... Have a look at the OTHER side of the field where the shade is then make that judgement.

missmini

Juniors
LRC said:
Souths had more than 9,800 against Canberra at home last year. No excuse about "playing a team out of town". We got 14,455...
http://www.souths.com.au/fanzone/viewnewsarticle.asp?ArticleID=1020

So to correct you, the Roosters crowd was a "disgrace"