What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dissent: Gilchrist guilty & Symonds not guilty

Kaz

junior
http://www.ananova.com/sport/rugbyu/story/sm_870650.html

Gilchrist found guilty of dissent

Australia vice-captain Adam Gilchrist has been found guilty of dissent during the one-day match against Sri Lanka.

Gilchrist has been fined 50 per cent of his match fee but teammate Andrew Symonds was found not guilty of the same charge.

Both players were alleged to have questioned umpire Peter Manuel when he adjudged Symonds leg before.

Gilchrist was clearly the more vociferous of the objectors, shaking his head and throwing his batting gloves to the ground.

ICC chairman Mike Procter said: "On this occasion, Adam's emotional response to an umpire's decision has lead to him acting in a way that displayed dissent and a fine of 50 per cent of his match fee is an appropriate penalty.

"In the case of Andrew, while his disappointment was obvious, I do not regard his reactions at the crease or walking from the field as dissent and he is not guilty of this charge.

The charges were laid as Level 1.3 offences under the ICC's Code of Conduct which prohibits players "showing dissent at an umpire's decision by action or verbal abuse".

The charge carries a maximum penalty of 50 per cent of a player's match fee and/or an official reprimand.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
How much was the umpire fined for making an ass out of himself ?

Don't think we'll be seeing him in the "elite" list for some time.

Doctor

Bench
The punishments are fair enough too. Gilchrist has generally maintained a good record with umpires, even having the sportsmanship to walk despite the umpire's decision of not-out. But in this case Gilchrist over-reacted. He was probably entitled to feel wrongly done by when the decision was made, but this does not allow for visible dissent to the umpire.

The rules don't forbid disappointment, they do outlaw dissent - Gilchrist was, by all accounts, falling into the category of dissent.

Gilchrist will learn the lesson, and hopefully continue to maintain a normally high standard of conduct.

ozbash

Referee
Twizzle said:
How much was the umpire fined for making an ass out of himself ?

Don't think we'll be seeing him in the "elite" list for some time.

sounds like you were lucky billy was there,, could have been a riot.

Macca

Coach
He did react badly but who wouldn't have. That was the worst piece of umpiring I have ever seen. Gilly did what most people would have done I reckon. Was the fine warranted? Probably, but I wouldn't hold it against Gilly.