What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do pubs / clubs still serve 5 oz beers ???

The Partisan

As an official legal drinker from 1982 onwards I fondly remember the days of when the 5 Oz (or for the metric minded 140 ml) beer was around for use mainly in Lawn Bowls clubs but also on occassion in hotels. Most users in pubs were the very old guys or those trying to be good for the missus !!!

Have not seen a 5 Oz glass for light years and wonder if they are still used reasonably regularly anywhere.

A visit to my local lawn bowls club saw me discover that 330/375 ml stubbies now are the bowlers drink size ...rather than the traditional 5 Oz (aka 'a pony') between ends !!!

Lambretta

First Grade
I have never heard of them and they sound like a right stupid idea

The midi is already small enough. You don't need anything smaller

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
An old dude called Ted used to drink 5 oz beers at the Brothers Sports Club in Bundaberg until he passed away last year. Being born and bred in Western Queensland, he always stated that anything bigger got too hot too fast on a hot day.

For mine, anything smaller than a schooner is a joke.

They're still around in Qld too, and a lot of clubs still use them here in NSW as well. Just they use the pony as a soft drink glass as opposed to a beer glass.

some11

Referee
I've never heard anyone ask for anything smaller than a pot glass, buying a round of ponies when everyone is drinking schooners or pints would be pretty funny.

innsaneink

Referee
Usually for the ladies they were...I can remember little openings from the Ladies bar to the main bar where they had to wait to get served

Do people still drink shandies?

_snafu_

Immortal
Usually for the ladies they were...I can remember little openings from the Ladies bar to the main bar where they had to wait to get served

Do people still drink shandies?

There was until recently an old bloke (over 80 I figure) at my local who used to ask for "a dash" with his beer, a dash meaning a dash of lemonade.

eozsmiles

Bench
I dare say light beer and low carb has phased out the practise somewhat. Old boys used to have to cut back on beer for health reasons. Now the beer is healthier, they don't drop down glass sizes. That is my observation anyway. I remember 20 years ago it was quite common to see an older punter having a 7oz of beer, particularly on bowls day.

I know one old bloke that drinks 7oz of Old because he can't stand the light beers, but you see all his mates on the xxxx gold or super dry low carb crap, and they can therefore drink more. I also know a bloke that drinks cans of sugar free bundy rum despite being an old diabetic. Apparently half a dozen of those is the same as a schooner of super he reckons, so he drinks like a teenager. I reckon the jury is out on his data, he might find out the hard way.

my2centsworth

Juniors
There was until recently an old bloke (over 80 I figure) at my local who used to ask for "a dash" with his beer, a dash meaning a dash of lemonade.

Tiger brought out their canned "Radler" beer in Singapore late last year. Approx half orange and half beer (2% alcohol content). A "Radler" is meant to be a beer based mixed drink popular with German cyclists apparently.

I saw similar in the UK with Fosters (?) over Christmas.

Tried one and tasted pretty much like a soft drink.

Latest posts