What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we need an experienced Hooker for 2019?

We had the most inexperienced team as it was. Lost from that:

Wallace 240 games
Peachey 116 games
Browne 98
CHN 48

MWZ is a direct swap for Crichton. Grant brings 200 games..

So we need experience all over but hooker is a good start

Experience could get further depleted if Merrin leaves.

Abacus

Juniors
Who are the experienced 9's out that are available for 2019? The only 2 I know of are Seg (with his baggage) and Smith (not an option - thankfully).

Parcell has been mentioned by some - he may have played NRL previously but not sure he falls into the "experienced" category.

Any others out there that I'm missing (sort of signing someone for 2020 and they get an early release from their current contract)?

martielang

Bench
Katoa had two months of very good football, then dipped in form (looked like he was overplaying his hand) & ended the year relatively well with strong games against Storm & Warriors. I’d argue his try assists or secondary try assists to minutes played would be right up there with any Hooker in the Comp & any Hooker we’ve had for some time. With that comes some mistakes & poor decision making at times, which you think should be reduced as he gains experience.

Seemed to become the next easy scapegoat for those desperately searching for one when Hook left & Tamou was playing solid footy.

Kilkenny

Coach
More than happy for Katoa & Egan to fight it out to be the number 1 at the club. I expect significant improvement from both in 2019 so it should be a good battle between the two of them.

Egan has a bit of Seluini about him. Katoa has a bit of Iosefa about him.

May at hooker has a bit of cancer of the eyeball about him..

We are garbage in this area. Will will pay for this.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
Who are the experienced 9's out that are available for 2019? The only 2 I know of are Seg (with his baggage) and Smith (not an option - thankfully).

Parcell has been mentioned by some - he may have played NRL previously but not sure he falls into the "experienced" category.

Any others out there that I'm missing (sort of signing someone for 2020 and they get an early release from their current contract)?
Cameron King. Don't want him though.

Kilkenny

Coach
We don’t need to waste money, we don’t have anyway, on another dummy half.

Sione Katoa will improve further as will Wade Egan who not that long ago was being talked up on here as the next Cameron Smith.

Ideally, one of them develops into an 80 minute player which will allow us to strengthen our bench with a utility who may be able to cover the dummy half role if required.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
We don’t need to waste money, we don’t have anyway, on another dummy half.

Sione Katoa will improve further as will Wade Egan who not that long ago was being talked up on here as the next Cameron Smith.

Ideally, one of them develops into an 80 minute player which will allow us to strengthen our bench with a utility who may be able to cover the dummy half role if required.
Katao's to big to ever play 80 comfortably. He's stocky like a second rower, similar to Granville. Egan can definitely do it though.

Last edited:

Latest posts