What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we really need two captains?

i know we have done it a few times but is it really necessary to have two captains? other teams seem to go ok with just one

hindy111

Post Whore
Could you go with 4 captains HJ?

Personaly Watmough would be my captain.Mannah doesnt seem good at the role.Norman and Sandow be next pick.

Parra

Referee
Leadership groups work. I didn't like the idea, but the proof has been in the results - and not just in the NRL or even sport. It is effective in any organisation.

Parra

Referee
If it's nothing more than on-field referee liaison then just nominate anyone. Our biggest impediment in that regard has left us anyway.

Best way to respect refs is to not talk to them at all. Shut and and show some respect - only speak when the ref asks a direct question. It's a novel concept in the NRL.

Kornstar

Coach
If your captain is a non 80 minute player someone needs to be the captain when he's not on the field, so whether it is official or not, you automatically have co captains. Might as well name that person at some point.

lingard

Coach
Can captains lead too ?

Definitely not. Only leaders lead. If you had a captain who could lead, then he would be a leader - and you'd have to make someone else captain. Just arkse anyone who's been in the Army. They'd know.

bartman

Immortal
^ Hopefully themselves... that's often the biggest challenge with teams of champions (e.g. rep teams), getting them to take responsibility for making the combinations.

As for whether we need two captains, if we insist on having a sub-50 minute player (e.g. Mannah or any prop) as a captain, then we'll need another. Otherwise we could get away with one captain expected to play 60-80mins (e.g. Peats), and one or two vice captains (including Mannah, and maybe a back like Hoppa) to cover referee liaison when Peats is off the field.

Off-field leadership group can expand this group of three out to five, with the inclusion of an experienced hard head liek Watmough, and another back... not sure who this year, so maybe they'll opt for Joe Paulo :lol:.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Definitely not. Only leaders lead. If you had a captain who could lead, then he would be a leader - and you'd have to make someone else captain. Just arkse anyone who's been in the Army. They'd know.

I'll tell you what I do know - there's often (though not always) a difference between leaders and commanders/managers.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's just a label, isn't it? It means 'the bloke who is allowed to talk to the refs'. Plus it's symbolic for the media, fans and sponsors. Best to have a well spoken cleanskin with a good reputation. Hopefully he also has the ability to argue well whilst remaining respectful.

Having all of these qualities probably means he's seen as a leader as well, though not necessarily the leader.

Latest posts