What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do You Believe That We Need One More First Grade Prop?

possm

Coach
There is so much talk about recruiting a big fast first grade back - fullback, centre or winger - but not much chatter about the fatigue factor in our prop rotation over the past few years. If Mary is hell bent on flogging our props again in 2019, it is clear to me that we need one more first grade prop to carry the load.

First Grade
Vaughan
Graham
K Sims
New first grade prop

ISP
Lawrie
Kerr
Latimore
New young prop

I believe with this prop rotation we could avoid the problems of the past few years. Lawrie and Latimore are viable replacements in first grade while it's time for Kerr to step up in 2019.

BBTB

Juniors
There is so much talk about recruiting a big fast first grade back - fullback, centre or winger - but not much chatter about the fatigue factor in our prop rotation over the past few years. If Mary is hell bent on flogging our props again in 2019, it is clear to me that we need one more first grade prop to carry the load.

First Grade
Vaughan
Graham
K Sims
New first grade prop

ISP
Lawrie
Kerr
Latimore
New young prop

I believe with this prop rotation we could avoid the problems of the past few years. Lawrie and Latimore are viable replacements in first grade while it's time for Kerr to step up in 2019.
Yes, most definitely.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Interesting thing about this, is if Lawrie performs like he did in the last couple of games of 2018 in the 2019 season, then we've genuinely got a quality player on our hands.

If he continues to get fitter and stronger, he could turn into that Nathan Brown type middle player. Funny thing is that Brown and Lawrie are exactly the same height and weight.

I've been super critical of Blake, used to think he was good for one or two strong hit-ups a game and 80% of the time he'd easily get put on his ass. But he was f**king huge against Brisbane and Souths, and they were big games too. Good signs.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

First Grade
Vaughan
Graham
K Sims
New first grade prop

ISP
Lawrie
Kerr
Latimore
New young prop

Agree Possm.
Kerr needs to step up big time.
He needs to be pushing the nrl guys but he not.
To me his biggest problem is he slows on contact .
He need to run hard like Vaughan ect.
Mybe he sould do extras with jimmy g like lowrie and lucky does.

possm

Coach
Interesting thing about this, is if Lawrie performs like he did in the last couple of games of 2018 in the 2019 season, then we've genuinely got a quality player on our hands.

If he continues to get fitter and stronger, he could turn into that Nathan Brown type middle player. Funny thing is that Brown and Lawrie are exactly the same height and weight.

I've been super critical of Blake, used to think he was good for one or two strong hit-ups a game and 80% of the time he'd easily get put on his ass. But he was f**king huge against Brisbane and Souths, and they were big games too. Good signs.

Yes I agree. So we have Lawrie and to a lesser degree Latimore as backup to my suggested props in the 17. If we did buy a first grade prop we could rotate our props all season long to ensure minor injures and som fatigue can be mitigated. In addition the four props chosen to play first grade each week can be considered on form and the unique attributes of the opposition.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Agree we need another prop.

Howevwr, at this stage you would have to consider that Vaughan, Graham, K.Sims and Lawrie will be the first 4.

Lawrie is an up and coming youngster who showed his true potential late in the season. Another pre-season will see him bigger and stronger and he has served his apprenticeship. Its now his position in the 17 to lose.

Kerr is a disappointment but do the coaching staff see more in him than we do? Because i cant see it.

Another option is Host, but imo he's not a prop.

Allgood still remains unsigned. But no thanks. But wouldnt suprise me if they re-signed him.

Also, they make look to who also played prop in the ISO squad.
Sokobalavu, Mason and Uele all played prop. They would all come cheap. But i dont think any of them would make it in the NRL.

My guess is that they will extend Allgood, just my feeling.

Gareth67

First Grade
Also liked what I saw of Lawrie, thought that he stood up well against the Broncs and Rabbits and as already said by others will certainly become even better in the top grade .
A definite bench player for the Dragons this year . Persist with him for 2019 and if doesn’t get there , then go out and buy a quality prop come next November .

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

Agree, i also thought Lawrie was always getting dominated by the opposition, up until the last few weeks of the season where he just exploded, if he can carry that through to season 2019 that will be huge for us, but i would still like to see another prop come in..

hewi

Bench
Agree Possm.
Kerr needs to step up big time.
He needs to be pushing the nrl guys but he not.
To me his biggest problem is he slows on contact .
He need to run hard like Vaughan ect.
Mybe he sould do extras with jimmy g like lowrie and lucky does.

Kerr has every reason to step up next year as his contract exspires, it’s sh#t or get off the pot time.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I am sure if there is a Parra prop Saints will be linked with him as they are with every other Parra player.

I thought Lawrie really showed us he can cut it in the NRL as he was pretty good against the Bronco's in the finals. They threw everything at him and he handled it well.

qld redvee

Juniors
remember mid season we were after zane musgrove from souths . i know he had off field issues but he would be a better option than all good
wouldnt mind if we could get afb back from manly

hewi

Bench
Hewi , the man has certainly has had more then enough time to show his ability , but imo just wont make the grade , not hungry enough , we need blokes who want to succeed and make every post a winner.

I had huge hopes for him but think you are correct, a shame.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Forget about Kerr. He's not going to make it, and if he does... It won't be with us and it won't be for a while.

It's a shame, he's a lovely guy.