What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you like Head?

Fully fit and at his best, Matthew Head is:

• Better than Sherwin's best

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • About the same

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Not as good as Sherwin's best

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters

nqboy

First Grade
Assuming he can get over his injuries and get back to his best, is he as good as or better than, say, Brent Sherwin was at his best?

Matt23

Staff member
nqboy said:
Assuming he can get over his injuries and get back to his best, is he any better than, say, Brent Sherwin was at his best?
No...

Red Bear

Referee
I'd say yes.
He as supurb in 2004. Injuries struck him down but still played well in 2005. Since then he's been injured the whole time and never got his confidence back. If he can have an inury free season he could be one of the buys of the year

I am a tigers fan and I would be all over us signing him.

I'd go so far as to say that if he was fit at the back end of 05, the trophy for that year would have been on display at Sizzler Carlton.

Well worth the punt and light years ahead of the geniused John Morris

Gee_Up

Juniors
Head is solid when fit and offers plenty but I don't think the Tigers forwards will give him the platform he needs to play at his best. You need some forwards to help poor Payton and Heighington.

Put it this way- if my side had Head organising our attack behind our forwards we'd be close to top 4 in my opinion.

sooperdooper

First Grade
hmmm i think head has potential...but i mean he has got to give it a real crack!
lets hope he isnt another Brett Firman..

taxidriver

Coach
he is no good.

had the potential to be very very good but his knee is farked and he has lost all his pace. To the extent that he is too slow to ever dominate in the NRL

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Abz said:
Was Matt Head ever on $300,000 a year?
Isn't that what he's on right now?

He wouldn't be far off it... He signed a massive contract after his killer 2005 season, then spent the next 2 years on the sidelines.

thommo4pm

Coach
Johnny Bravo said:
Isn't that what he's on right now?

He wouldn't be far off it... He signed a massive contract after his killer 2005 season, then spent the next 2 years on the sidelines.

Correct, around the $250-300K mark.

Head is too small, not enough bulk, not enough speed.
He has trouble defending and as stated above, his knees are shot.
Doubt they will ever be any good again.

He has a kicking game with not much else now.
He has the smarts, but unfortunately his body isn't up to delivering what his mind wants to do.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i think he has the potential to be better than sherwin, will really depend on injuries. good players learn to get around their injuries and work on other strengths. I'd have no issue if the broncs had picked him up for a decent price (given injuries)

aqua_duck

Coach
Its really hard to say. Sherwin played behind one of the best packs in the comp for a very long time, and was a very talented if not consistent halfback. Head can be very good but like people have said his lack of size and his knees are a huge problem.

6.Benji
7.Head

Most injury prone halves combo EVER

I rated him alot, but i dunno how a couple of years in the ESL, has done him justice or not.

Imo, he was playing reserves far too long for the dragons, with that nuffy Brett Firman ahead of him.

this is a educated guess but I would say he would be a better option than John Morris, I just dont know how much better, definately had way more potential than Morris, last time i saw him play.

Raider_69

Post Whore
injury free and in form one of the best halfs in the comp, can he get past injury and regain his best form? Im dubious.

Godz Illa

Coach
Rabbitohs2005 said:
I rated him alot, but i dunno how a couple of years in the ESL, has done him justice or not.

Imo, he was playing reserves far too long for the dragons, with that nuffy Brett Firman ahead of him.
lol Dude he spent 3 months in the ESL.

And the only year he spent behind Firman was 2003 - Firman was a certainty for Rookie Of The Year until the awards were called off.

Godz Illa said:
lol Dude he spent 3 months in the ESL.

And the only year he spent behind Firman was 2003 - Firman was a certainty for Rookie Of The Year until the awards were called off.

I havent seen or heard of him since 2005 or 2006, has he been in prems for the dragons for a while.

I Just assumed he has been in the ESL.

Brett Firman was a great player then, but Matt Head imo was still a better player than Firman.

once he made First Grade, he succeeded any expectations to hold the No.7 Jersey, once Head was there, Firman played very little games in first grade, unless head was injured

netic

Juniors
Head may be Injury prone but so was Scott Prince when he came to the tigers, and we all know how good a player Prince has become

nqboy

First Grade
netic said:
Head may be Injury prone but so was Scott Prince when he came to the tigers, and we all know how good a player Prince has become
You don't want to go hanging your hat on that kind of reasoning.

He's rubbish....

Too scared to take on the line and kicks away possession.

Decent organiser. I think his problem is that he relies too much on natural ability and doesn't train. Has the physique of a 12 year old boy.

Latest posts