What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 107 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 109 50.5%

• Total voters

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well if that’s the case there’d be no way determining if there’s a better option.
Exactly. You have to trust the merkins whose jobs are on the line and have the most information. When their jobs are threatened the CEO and board will rissole the coach, don't you worry about that.

Noise

Coach
Current Squad + BA = 10% chance
Current Squad + WB = 15% chance
Current Squad + elite player + BA = 20% chance
Curren Squad + elite player + WB = 25% chance
And we are going to re-sign BA in order to appease (and re-sign) our current big name players thus not being able to sign an elite X factor type player.

IFR33K

Coach
Yeah. I think when Hiney suggested him I said that it wouldn't really be an upgrade. I maintain that now that he has had 2 years under his belt.

Both are decent coaches but neither is elite.

Interestingly, Holbrook's team that made the semis this year had a worse record than the 2014 Arthurs team that finished 10th.

People were ecstatic when Ba came within a bees dick of semis in the first two years. In hineys defense, if Holbrook came here instead of BA and made the semis in 2015, some here still would of been tugging themselves over that feat.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
People were ecstatic when Ba came within a bees dick of semis in the first two years. In hineys defense, if Holbrook came here instead of BA and made the semis in 2015, some here still would of been tugging themselves over that feat.
Ecstatic?

No-one would be tugging themselves after sneaking into the 8 with a 10-14 record and losing our first finals match.

Silly comment.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
And we are going to re-sign BA in order to appease (and re-sign) our current big name players thus not being able to sign an elite X factor type player.
Seems like a stretch to assume that.

Even if BA stays there will likely be some turnover. I think its unlikely that we will keep all of our big name players coming off contract. Some of them will be offered shitloads by shittier clubs.

Its also possible that one of our big name players takes the next step and becomes elite. My money would be on Moses or Rheed.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
A club like St George?
St George ten years ago is a very different club to St George of today. Bennett took over a club that had three current Origin players and had only missed the finals once in the previous five years, including back-to-back preliminary finals in '05-'06. Don't kid yourself that the premiership drought meant they were a weak club. If they were weak he never would've gone there. They had heaps of big game experience already, just like this Souths side before Bennett got there.

The Knights when Bennett got there is a better analogy, but even still, they had made the finals in two of the previous three years before he took over. And then they missed the finals in two of the three years he was there.

IFR33K

Coach
Ecstatic?

No-one would be tugging themselves after sneaking into the 8 with a 10-14 record and losing our first finals match.

Silly comment.

No I recall it. Everyone was over the moon after the disappointment and embarrassment of 2011,12 and 13.

Noise

Coach
St George ten years ago is a very different club to St George of today. Bennett took over a club that had three current Origin players and had only missed the finals once in the previous five years, including back-to-back preliminary finals in '05-'06. Don't kid yourself that the premiership drought meant they were a weak club. If they were weak he never would've gone there. They had heaps of big game experience already, just like this Souths side before Bennett got there.

The Knights when Bennett got there is a better analogy, but even still, they had made the finals in two of the previous three years before he took over. And then they missed the finals in two of
Aren’t we also a club with a few current origin players and made the semis 4 of the last 5 years? We just can’t get to a prelim

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No I recall it. Everyone was over the moon after the disappointment and embarrassment of 2011,12 and 13.
Should they have been disappointed?

I don't understand what your point is.

I certainly don't remember the reaction being over the top at the time.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In Holbrook's first year at the Titans they had four players picked in Origin, and crucially, two of them were forwards. In his second year they had three forwards picked in Origin plus Brimson. We still don't have that many current Origin reps.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Aren’t we also a club with a few current origin players and made the semis 4 of the last 5 years?
We are now. We weren't when Arthur's took over which is why pointing out his early record at our club is pointless. He has been involved in building our club to this point. We were a shit club, with a poor recent record. We are now close to being a genuine contender, with a solid recent record. We've managed this without sacking the coach.
We just can’t get to a prelim
We showed this year we can get to a prelim. If you can lose a game by 2 you can win it. It's a flip of the coin affair. We took a huge stride this year. I can't believe some merkins think this year was business as usual, or that there's no reason to be excited about 2022.

IFR33K

Coach
Should they have been disappointed?

I don't understand what your point is.

I certainly don't remember the reaction being over the top at the time.

After the embarrassing years 2011-13 people were very happy with BA’s first two years. I know we didn’t make the finals but we were far from the laughing stock of the nrl, unlike the SK and sticky era.

Noise

Coach
We showed this year we can get to a prelim. If you can lose a game by 2 you can win it. It's a flip of the coin affair. We took a huge stride this year. I can't believe some merkins think this year was business as usual. Or that there's no reason to be excited about 2022.
The only way you can show that you can do something is by doing it.

IFR33K

Coach
My point is jh has made the finals in his second year. That’s a decent effort. That’s my point.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
In Holbrook's first year at the Titans they had four players picked in Origin, and crucially, two of them were forwards. In his second year they had three forwards picked in Origin plus Brimson. We still don't have that many current Origin reps.
The Titans also had one of the worst spines in the comp. Their attack was pretty impressive considering that fact.