What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 106 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 109 50.7%

• Total voters

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon the key to improving our attack comes from Dylan Brown next year.

Another year of experience, defence top level and a big off/pre season bettering his running game and developing a passing game.

As much as other teams will improve/decline I think this end of year for us has really left us in good stead for season 2022 - bit of a coming of age for the youngsters.
Gus mentioned time spent playing together a few times in that WWOS clip.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What sort of a 6 will he become ?

It seems that we have 3 types in the NRL:-

Munster - big body more like a ball playing forward, up tempo, runs to the line and creates stuff
Wighton - running and tackling 6. Plays a lot like Gutho does by pushing up and backing up.
(Cody) Walker - finesse and money balls galore.
I reckon there's only two types: the second fullback and the second halfback. The type of 6 determines the shape a team attacks in. Increasingly though, teams are preferring the second fullback type, where five years ago it was generally a second halfback in the 6 jersey.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I reckon there's only two types: the second fullback and the second halfback. The type of 6 determines the shape a team attacks in. Increasingly though, teams are preferring the second fullback type, where five years ago it was generally a second halfback in the 6 jersey.
Is that because “locks” are now expected to do some “ball/play” making now…

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yeah, it seems that way these days.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Is that because “locks” are now expected to do some “ball/play” making now…
There's definitely a correlation. I just had a look at a sample of middle forwards from round 5 (just to pick a round) of 2016 and compared them with the fifth round of 2021 and found that six middle forwards in round five this year threw 10+ passes (Harris, Trbojevic, Peachey, Jackson, Radley and Brown) while in 2016 the only one was Greg Bird. The game has definitely evolved, and plenty of teams use a number 13 'middle half' now. This is distinct from the 7 (or 6) who plays between split fullback and 'five-eighth' on either side, though as I said, it looks to be connected.

Eelogical

Referee
Well as it stands, the flip floppers have flapped slightly back in BA's favour. The sort of soldiers one would would go into battle with?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well I've been a soldier and an analyst and I can tell you different skills are required for going into battle than for understanding whether an NRL coach is doing a good job.

Gazzamatta

Coach
There's definitely a correlation. I just had a look at a sample of middle forwards from round 5 (just to pick a round) of 2016 and compared them with the fifth round of 2021 and found that six middle forwards in round five this year threw 10+ passes (Harris, Trbojevic, Peachey, Jackson, Radley and Brown) while in 2016 the only one was Greg Bird. The game has definitely evolved, and plenty of teams use a number 13 'middle half' now. This is distinct from the 7 (or 6) who plays between split fullback and 'five-eighth' on either side, though as I said, it looks to be connected.
*Seffa Paulo

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Definitely a prototype for the modern 13, but only a prototype. Did you know he played 167 games but only one finals match? That was his last ever game in the NRL. He finished his (Australian) career at 30 with a decent WPYSA18 of 6.2

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I've never known how to read WPYSA18 numbers.

Can you give us a sliding scale showing shit, average and excellent?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's fairly pointless for younger players with a smaller sample of games. Haas has obviously achieved more than Fotuaika and Kaufusi. His club just hasn't won as many times:

Middle forward born in 1999WPYSA18
Fotuaika6.8
Kaufusi6.4
Haas5.5
Flegler3.9
Baker2.7
Suluka-Fifita2.0
Hola0.9
Hopgood0.7
Greig0.5

hineyrulz

Post Whore