What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone know what happens.......

Does anyone know how teams are seperated if point differentials are equal at the end of round 26? Does it go on best attack or defense? or by number of penalties given away?

Given how close the comp is this year this could be possible and would be extremely interesting if it was between teams 8 & 9.

Mr Saab

Referee
they would look at who won between the 2 teams in the regular season if they are on equal differential. If they happened to play twice and it was one all then i dont know whats after that.
They would never look at penalties.

innsaneink

Referee
Ive heard them talk about it last year on radio, I think they look at trys scored then several other things... which im not sure about, then if alls equal there is a matematical equation with %'s they use to determine one over another.
Its a lot to take in all at once just hearing it the ome time, needs to be read several times, but as I said I only heard on radio

Mr Saab

Referee
brooksy19 said:
Yeah, why not play a mid week play off.

why not? because they would be canon fodder on the sunday when they play team one.
Sure, the tigers in 1988 went all the way to the GF, but it doesnt happen all the time.
Most mid week playoff teams (winners obviously) lost the 1st week of the semis.

Charlie Saab said:
why not? because they would be canon fodder on the sunday when they play team one.
Sure, the tigers in 1989 went all the way to the GF, but it doesnt happen all the time.

Then why not a seven's match? players wouldnt be as tired as the game is alot shorter and wont involve many forwards.

Darth Bobo

Charlie Saab said:
Sure, the tigers in 1989 went all the way to the GF, but it doesnt happen all the time.

I'm pretty sure it was 1988 for the Tigers. 89 is the year we should have won and 88 was the year where just making the GF was a victory.

Mr Saab

Referee
Darth Bobo said:
I'm pretty sure it was 1988 for the Tigers. 89 is the year we should have won and 88 was the year where just making the GF was a victory.

yes it was 1988...typo.
beat the panthers in the playoff and roach was given a 4 week ban for a high tackle

Darth Bobo

Charlie Saab said:
yes it was 1988...typo.
beat the panthers in the playoff and roach was given a 4 week ban for a high tackle

Was that when Blocker flew to England to try and get a couple of games taken off his suspension by "signing" with an English club?. It didn't work for the big fella but I remember the news stories and general desperation at trying to get him back for us.

Mr Saab

Referee
thats the one bobo.
He tried to, but the then NSWRL put a stop to that.
He ended up listening to the gamel via a hook up to 2GB with Peter Peters and Hartley calling the game.

forward pass said:
The chances of 2 sides finishing on the exact points differential would be millions to 1!

Not really. you know the sides are going to be somewhere between -100 and +100. so there is 200 different points they could possibly finish on. I.e the chances are approx 200-1 that this could happen.

Hey bangladesh were paying almost that much to beat australia in the ODI earlier in the Ashes tour.

Given how close the comp is it is very possible.

Mr Saab

Referee
forward pass said:
The chances of 2 sides finishing on the exact points differential would be millions to 1!

maybe so, but the NRL have to have plans in place to cover that.
Imagine how stupid they would look (not the 1st time) if it did happen.
"welll arrrrrrrrrr mmmmmmmmm we dont know what to do in this situation"

Razor

Coach
The order goes like this

Just remembered there is no "field goals scored" criteria. If 3-7 are all equal, then FGS would be equal as well, so there's no point making it a criteria.

1. Points
2. Points differential
3. Tries Conceded
4. Tries Scored
5. Goals Conceded
6. Goals Scored
7. Field Goals Conceded
8. Penalties Conceded

Not sure what they do after that.

Who is the NRL to say that defense is more important than attack? I'm not complaining though as this would favour the raiders, however I dont think it is fair that the NRL says that defense is more important than attack.

Coin toss. :lol:

Maybe they could decide on away wins. Regardles, the chances of going beyond criteria 4 must be extremely remote.

Razor

Coach
waltzing Meninga said:
Who is the NRL to say that defense is more important than attack? I'm not complaining though as this would favour the raiders, however I dont think it is fair that the NRL says that defense is more important than attack.

I agree with them. I think defence is much more important than attack. If you never concede a point, you can never lose a match.

Latest posts