What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does our backline lack firepower?

Stuart

Juniors
I know that stats dont tell the full story and can be quite misleading, but in a brief list of the number of tries scored by the backlines of all the sides over the course of the season that ive compiled while procrastinating this afternoon(from nrl.com stats page), the raiders backline has come out last only scoring 27 tries.

Is the lack of scoring ability in our backline due to poor tactics, bad selections, injuries, poor team perfomances (eg lack of go forward), lack of firepower in the backs or lack of opportuinity? I think its probably a little of all of these but it is a worrying trend heading into the backend of the season. If we hope to be top 8 contenders i think we need to score more tries, do you think our current backline can deliver? Which backs arent pulling their weight?

Tries by the backline (1-5).
1-Broncos=54
2-Eels=43
3-Storm=58
4-Cowboys=48
5-Manly=31
6-Sharks=42
7-Roosters=41
8-Dragons=47
9-West Tigers=37
10-Raiders=27
11-Bulldogs=33
12-Warriors=37
13-Panthers=40
14-Rabbitohs=28
15-Knights=30

Timbo

Staff member
Graham and Frawley are out best tryscorers out wide, and they've both had extended spells out this year.

legend

Coach
We are ateam with no potency int he backline due to continual mind boggling selections such as Gafa and Howell.

If we head into the finals with Ale, Graham, Chalk, Milne and Frawley all on the field, you will see a different side out wide. Until then, we will continue to struggle to score more than 10 points a game.

Boing Boing

Juniors
Our two main strike scorers, Frawley and Super Phil, are both injured. Don't get ahead of yourdelf mate, if they were back, Tape and Howell would be gone.

Brimmer

Juniors
Even with them back I doubt the potency in the backline. As I've said all year... we have no problem making the metres... It's getting over the stripe.

Timbo

Staff member
I'd retain Howell to be honest. He's our best defence/support wing/centre.

Frawley, Ale, Graham and Howell would be my 3/4 line.

Chachi

Bench
Timbo said:
I'd retain Howell to be honest. He's our best defence/support wing/centre.

Frawley, Ale, Graham and Howell would be my 3/4 line.

Yep, that'd be my backline...and if Frawley was out I think you could probably add Milne or Chalk to that lineup. Some of the tries these guys scored earlier in the year were scorchers.

The fact that Mogg, Gafa and Robbo have probably played more first grade this year than those other five combined directly reflects how inept our attack has been since round 6. Even Newcastle and Souths wouldn't touch those guys if they were given to them for free.

It also doesn't help that Schif was out for an extended period and he still doesn't seem to be back to his attacking best.

Raider_69

Post Whore
a backline of:

Schif
Howell
Frawley
Mogg
Graham
Sub - Gafa

Easily one of if not the most pedestrian backline of all time. Howell, Mogg and Gafa do nothing and Graham and Frawley (when on the park) dont get their hands on the footy enough

But a backline of:
Schif
Milne
Graham
Ale
Chalk

EDIT: Frawley can prove his worth in PL

there is attacking options galore

Timbo

Staff member
Then you have no decent support player, nor anyone who is comfortable under the high ball. Both things Howell are.

aussies1st

Staff member
That looks like one potent backline hopefully one day we will actually be able to see how deadly it is.

azza

Juniors
In answer to the original post topic - is the pope a Catholic?

Howell is useless, we simply will not win a competition with players like he and Gafa in the side. Mogg is not much better. Chalk, Graham, Milne and Ale may all have defensive inadequacies, but they offer significantly more attacking spark. Our defence overall this year has not been good, so it's not as if we are going to have a massive and unprecedented inundation of points scored against us by changing the backline.

FullySick

Juniors
Frawley is one of our attacking aces??
I think i'll save comment until he's played a few games.

With the current crop of backs we trot out each week, we severely lack flair. Seriously, imagine this backline without Schif there!

greeneyed

First Grade
Back to the original post, it is due to inept selections from the coach eg not picking Chalk until he absolutely had to; eg repeatedly picking Howell in the side........

And it is due to inept attacking game plans from the coach eg which sees us going one out from dummy half or one off the ruck down the centre of the field over and over again. He buys players who suit this "style" and then coaches this "style". Unsurprisingly, the backs rarely even get the ball, so how do we expect them to score?

FullySick

Juniors
LOL nice one macko...only problem is that Ale doesnt get a run, and Frawley's MIA.

Good post Greeneyed, at the start of this season i wouldnt have agreed with you, but now....

nickraider

Juniors
benmeyer said:
Our two main strike scorers, Frawley and Super Phil, are both injured. Don't get ahead of yourdelf mate, if they were back, Tape and Howell would be gone.
How can Frawley be a strike player Ben Meyer? He doesn't play a game and when he does, he does nothing. Bring in Jermaine ALE. Our backs in FG are very ordinary at the moment! I know injuries have taken their toll but we don't get the ball out there anyway!! Looking forward to Phil GRAHAM coming back this weekend. I'm a Raiders supporter in Brisbane and have seen FRAWLEY play a bit for the Broncos. Seems he maybe milking the Raiders for the money - has done nothing since his arrival. Was always good for the Broncos albeit on the end of a better backline. Hope I'm wrong as I always thought good things of him. What d'ya reckon?

Latest posts