What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Ricky Stuart have any idea what he's talking about?

lucablight

First Grade
He was rambling on the other day about how Australian referees should be used in the Tri nations because they play in the best competition in the world and are therefore the best referees.
Then he selects Jamie Lyon in his side.
I'm not being a bitter Eels fan but he isn't showing any consistency here.

Rick Stuart...one angry little man.

Karmichael Hunt is definitely an Aussie judging by his comments on Fien...yeap good one Ricky :roll:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Ricky Stuart signed to coach Cronulla, the guy cleary has several screws loose.

innsaneink

Referee
lucablight said:
He was rambling on the other day about how Australian referees should be used in the Tri nations because they play in the best competition in the world and are therefore the best referees.
Then he selects Jamie Lyon in his side.
I'm not being a bitter Eels fan but he isn't showing any consistency here.

So his opinions on referees automatically should reflect his opinions on players?

They are two different things you know.

I suppose by your logic because of what he said, you'd exect him to choose Shannon Hegarty over leon pryce, because Hegs plays NRL.

lucablight

First Grade
innsaneink said:
So his opinions on referees automatically should reflect his opinions on players?

They are two different things you know.

I suppose by your logic because of what he said, you'd exect him to choose Shannon Hegarty over leon pryce, because Hegs plays NRL.

Yes they should and that is the very point I'm trying to make. Judging by Ricky Stuarts logic he should be saying only players in the NRL should be considered and ESL players exempt but he obviously enjoys the stand up comedy.

innsaneink

Referee
Looks like just a personal attack on Stuart imo.

Referees and players, two completely different things, but you still dont get it.

Geordie

Juniors
And what the hell does Stuart know about the English game other than what he has been told by biased countrymen. The only time he has seen it has been when he has been over to play in international matches, etc, so once again we have a parochial Oz sticking to the tried and tested Fulton method of trying to get his way before a game. Sad little man.

Lowdown

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Looks like just a personal attack on Stuart imo.

Referees and players, two completely different things, but you still dont get it.

No...the players may be different, but the principle is exactly the same.

What you don't get is this:

It is hypocritical for Stuart to suggest that an Australian Referee should officiate the test matches, because the English competition is sub-standard, yet he goes and selects an Australian who plays in that sub-standard English competition.

The point is not whether or not Lyon is good enough, but that perhaps the referee is good enough...just like Jamie Lyon...to perform (whether that is play or officiate) at the highest level.

Ricky Stuart should simply refrain from speaking out, and concentrate on his own players, and his own game. And leave everything else alone...

thatsold

Juniors
lucablight said:
I'm not being a bitter Eels fan

Yes you are.

Ricky Stuart wants referees that have proven themselves in the higher standard NRL.
Jamie Lyon has proven himself in the higher standard NRL.
There is no hypocrisy there.

It doesnt matter how much unreasoning hatred you have for Jamie Lyon, you've seen him play outstanding football in the NRL and you know he hasnt gotten worse since then.
You know hes still up to the standard and so does Ricky Stuart.

To answer your question though, no, Ricky Stuart doesn't have any idea what hes talking about. Hes an idiot.

bluey

Bench
Yep ricky knows nothing, But has achieved more in league than any of you lot
so give him a break.
Why select 25 players if you are going to only use 17.
Rotate your players and get good combinations going, not doing this last year worked didnt it.

lucablight

First Grade
thatsold said:
Yes you are.

Ricky Stuart wants referees that have proven themselves in the higher standard NRL.
Jamie Lyon has proven himself in the higher standard NRL.
There is no hypocrisy there.

It doesnt matter how much unreasoning hatred you have for Jamie Lyon, you've seen him play outstanding football in the NRL and you know he hasnt gotten worse since then.
You know hes still up to the standard and so does Ricky Stuart.

To answer your question though, no, Ricky Stuart doesn't have any idea what hes talking about. Hes an idiot.

I didn't know you could read my mind. Lyon may have been proven in the NRL but how many years ago was that? I'm not saying he isn't up to it but merely pointing out the flaw in Rickys own reasoning.He doesn't mind conveniently having one set of rules for referees and another for his own players.

mxlegend99

Referee
What better player then Jamie Lyon to play against Great Britain?

He has played against those players the past few years... he is a great player and with Hodges performances this Tri-Nations, he was an obvious choice.

Some of his other selections are a bit WTF.... but Jamie Lyon was the obvious choice IMO.

thatsold

Juniors
lucablight said:
I didn't know you could read my mind.

Well now you do.;-)

lucablight said:
Lyon may have been proven in the NRL but how many years ago was that? I'm not saying he isn't up to it but merely pointing out the flaw in Rickys own reasoning.He doesn't mind conveniently having one set of rules for referees and another for his own players.

Why does it matter how long ago he proved himself?

We know his level of skill is well above average even by NRL standards and we know he has retained that level of skill.
i.e.
We all know that he has proved himself in the NRL and we all know that hes still that good.

You cant call Stuart a hypocrite for wanting referees proven in the NRL and then selecting a player who has proven himself in the NRL.

How about when Andrew Johns went to play in the ESL for a short stint? Would his days in the NRL immediately have become meaningless, as youre suggesting they should have?

If Bill Harrigan had gone to referee in the ESL for a few years and the Australian coach had said, I want a referee proven in the NRL, lets have Bill Harrigan. Would you think he was being hypocritical?

Your argument is ridiculous.

Micistm

Bench
Stuarts a lot like Mason- Great player, and he's gone on to be a good coach...but ultimately he should probably shut up a bit. He just comes across as a jerk at times.