What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Dogs ready to defend

Dogaholic

First Grade
'Dogs ready to defend

8 March 2005

The Bulldogs have rubbished suggestions they can't become the first team in more than a decade to win back-to-back premierships.

'Dogs coach Steve Folkes said he and the players had rubbished the theory that it's tough for a premiership side to back up the following year.

The Bulldogs start their premiership defence against St George Illawarra at Telstra Stadium on Friday night with a squad missing only Willie Mason (foot), Reni Matua (ankle) and Ben Harris (shoulder).

They are keen to prove the critics wrong and become the first side since Brisbane in 1992-93 to win consecutive titles.

The Sydney Roosters had their chance in 2003 but blew it, losing 18-6 to Penrith in the NRL decider.

"We've touched on the fact that people are going to say how hard it is to back up," Folkes said.

"We haven't really spoken about it in any other terms than that's a load of crap.

"Nothing can be harder than what we did last year and nothing can be harder than winning the comp first-up.

"It's a very tough competition and very even. Winning the second one is no harder than winning the first one."

Folkes isn't just speaking as a coach on the theory.

He played in the forwards for Canterbury in the 1980s when the 'Dogs won four grand finals, including straight premierships in 1984 and 1985.

Already former NSW and Test second-rower Folkes is tired of answering the same questions about his team's premiership defence.

"There seems to be this obsession with how difficult it is to back up a first one (premiership) with a second one but I don't think that's the case at all," Folkes said.

"I played in '84 and '85 when we won back-to-back. We nearly won three (in a row) and it was no big deal (although) I know things have changed a hell of a lot since then."

Folkes has the luxury of a near full-strength side for the clash with the Dragons but new captain Andrew Ryan (knee), Kiwi winger Matt Utai (ankle) and halfback Brent Sherwin (hip) missed this year's trials because of off-season surgery.

The coach isn't too concerned the trio will be underdone on Friday night.

"Those guys are naturally fit anyway so I don't think it's a big deal," he said.

Ryan was officially named as Bulldogs skipper at the club's season launch in Sydney.

The Test back-rower said he would lead by example on the field rather than through his words.

"I'll just do my own thing, go along and keep it pretty simple," said the 26-year-old, who replaces NZ Warriors recruit Steve Price.

"I generally don't talk a great deal. It's mainly doing the right things at training and on the field and try and lead that way rather than do a lot of talking."

Folkes believed Ryan would adopt a similar on-field captaincy style as Price.

"Pricey was the first captain I had to choose," said the coach.

"He was not a spruiker - he did his job by his actions rather than his words and Bobcat (Ryan) is exactly the same."

Brought to you by AAP

Its a Dogs World said:
'Dogs ready to defend

8 March 2005

The Bulldogs have rubbished suggestions they can't become the first team in more than a decade to win back-to-back premierships.

Don't worry guys, you've won one-in-a-row which just leaves ten more to go!!!

JK

Daithi O'Conaill said:
Its a Dogs World said:
'Dogs ready to defend

8 March 2005

Don't worry guys, you've won one-in-a-row which just leaves ten more to go!!!

How many were YOU alive for :?:

So far I have been alive for SIX Bulldogs premierships. :D

Vicious

Bench
If the Bulldogs remain relatively injury free,they will be extremely hard to beat.
Definately have the best starting 13 with or without Willie,but i have huge doubts about your forward depth???
The bench tonight was ordinary and that got re-inforced with 28 points conceded in the second half.
Still deserved premiership favourites,but a big question mark on the depth in my opinion!!!

RB30DETT

Juniors
I agree in part, but we were only a 2 man bench in the second half.

If O'Meley does not play next week, I say promote Charlie Tonga.

Dogaholic

First Grade
I heard close to a month for O'Meley. Both Thurling and Tonga had sensational games in PL. Promote one if the two next week. Either way, things are looking good! Isn't Maitua coming back from injury next week though?

Dog-E

Juniors
Someone from the Kennel managed to speak to him quickly yesterday...And Maitua won't be back till round 6 apparently! :?