What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dogs Vs Penrith

Dogaholic

First Grade
Emelio is a Bulldogs junior who won three Jersey Flegg Grand Finals (1999, 2000, 2001) and one Premier League Grand Final (2002) for the Club. In 2003 and 2004 he played for the Sharks before having a stint in the UK in 2005 with the Widnes Vikings. He plays centre and wing.

The full team is:

1. Luke Patten
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Reni Matua
4. Willie Tonga
5. Matt Utai
6. Daniel Holdsworth
7. Brent Sherwin
8. Chris Armit
9. Corey Hughes
10. Roy Asotasi
11. Willie Mason
12. Andrew Ryan (C)
13. Tony Grimaldi

Interchange:
14. Adam Perry
15. Mark O'Meley
16. Nate Myles
17. Andrew Emilio

Daniel Holdsworth will join Emilio as a Bulldogs first grade debutant, after joining the Club from the Dragons.

The Bulldogs will also have four players making their return to NRL competition after sustaining season-ending injuries last year. They are:

- Luke Patten (injured ankle in Rd 18, 2005)
- Hazem El Masri (injured knee in Rd 20, 2005)
- Willie Tonga (injured knee in Rd 9, 2005)
- Brent Sherwin (injured hand in Rd 22, 2005)

axie

Juniors
Its from the Bulldogs page, there's no direct link to the story as the whole site is done in flash.

Rammo

Juniors
Paullyboy said:
O'Meley off the bench? Is Armit really that good?

O'Meley has just come back from injury.

They're probably just trying to ease him back into things.

Dogaholic

First Grade
axie said:
Its from the Bulldogs page, there's no direct link to the story as the whole site is done in flash.

Yeah, what he said!!!

Armit is a great player, very consistant. Played every game last year and only made 2 errors. Agree though that they must be easing the Ogre back in.

As for Hughes, drop him to PL!

Dogaholic

First Grade
Oh and Myles is better as impact off the bench so happy to leave him there for the time.

Smartman

Juniors
I think Armit is very solid and will handle the first 20 mins, he reminds me alot of a young Steve Price.

Shrek will come in and make a big impact, i like the look of the bench and will only get better when SBW comes back :cool:

As I said in the other Penrith v Dogs thread here - I don't like Emilio on the bench - not ONE bit! :(

He might be a good player, ok - I don't really know to be fair to the lad...but my stomach literally DROPPED when I saw his name there!

Where's Conn? Where's McIlwain? Where's Ngawini? Where's Morrin? Where's Davui? WHERE'S CUTLER???

I don't like it...Penrith have a BIG pack with the likes of Clinton, The Puletua's and Frank 'The Tank' Pritchard - and also a very MOBILE pack with the likes of Waterhouse, Swain, Priddis, Danny Galea & Shane Rodney there!

They have aTOP halfback in Gower to guide them round the park - and Prestion bloody Campbell and Luke Priddis to carve us out of dummy half!

Why pick a winger/centre on the bench...WHY Folkesy??!

I hope to the HOLY BULLFROG you know what you are doing here!...Because it's CRUCIAL for morale & confidence - that we get 2006 off to a winning start! After the way we ended last season and the whole SBW thing in the off-season!

SURELY the best option was to throw Emilio into the centres cold if you're going to play him at all - and have Maitua on the bench??? Surely. I just can't figure this lineup out at ALL! :?

choc_soldier

Coach
Penrith:

1. Rhys Wesser, 2. Lee Hookey, 3. Danny Galea, 4. Luke Lewis, 5. Nick Youngquest, 6. Preston Campbell, 7. Craig Gower, 8. Joel Clinton, 9. Luke Priddis, 10. Craig Stapleton, 11. Matthew Cross, 12. Tony Puletua (c), 13. Shane Rodney. Interchange: 14. Frank Puletua, 15. Bryan Norrie, 16. Luke Swain, 17. Mark O'Halloran

(Brett Howland, Luke Rooney, Trent Waterhouse and Frank Pritchard are not available due to injury)

http://www.panthers.com.au/default.aspx?id=3&ArticleID=54

No Waterhouse and Pritchard are a BIG plus for us!!

Never rated Rooney - he is that overrated it's not funny, and quite frankly, when he played in the Tri-Nations on the end of a World Class backline - they flattered him. GREATLY!

Willie Tonga created about half his tries that tournament, that my dog could probably have finished off!

Hookey & Youngquest will be in for a TORRID night on their respective flanks up against El Masri and Utai though! Both Hookey & Youngquest can attack in open spaces - but - can either tackle???? Not that I recall!So look for Shifty to be tesing them out with PLENTY of crossfield kicks and Holdsworth to bomb them to buggery all night!

I think we'll get away with this one, allright - nothing dramatic though - by 6-12 points I'd reckon!

EDIT: And Penrith's bench looks pretty weak too!

Then why not just pick him there in the first place...What's the point of him playing 20-30-40-whatever mins in the centres - then move into the backrow???

This is just bizarre...specially given the players Folkes left out to fir Emelio in.

atomic_crimson

Juniors
Bring Back the Spliff said:
Never rated Rooney - he is that overrated it's not funny, and quite frankly, when he played in the Tri-Nations on the end of a World Class backline - they flattered him. GREATLY!

thank you!!!! so many people rate this cat! he has height and speed but never uses it to his full advantage!!!! always takes the tackle when he comes up against an opponent one on one... never tries to beat the defender

atomic_crimson said:
thank you!!!! so many people rate this cat! he has height and speed but never uses it to his full advantage!!!! always takes the tackle when he comes up against an opponent one on one... never tries to beat the defender

Yeah, I never really noticed about the one-on-one thing before - I'll look out for that! :lol:

I just see him as big and clumsy and very boring & predictable - and not all that particularly fast for a winger! But its his defence that has alarmed me at times - Ive seen him palmed off in tackles FAR too easily more times than I've almost had hot dinners! He is big, and tall and strong - he should use his bulk a lot more! He is a bit of a 'cat'...